Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
eire
eire began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw2
My Kindle/Amazon Nightmare

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem with my kindle its a sad story so dont`t read any further if you are easily upset lol.

I bought a Kindle PW2 for my mother`s Christmas present and placed a few(3000) mobi books on it before I gave it to her, all was fine it was working normally put it in the box and wrapped it up..

Christmas day came and as I gave my mother the gift and said here`s a library for you I thought that would be it, but in reality it was heres a big headache for me I should have bought a voucher.

So I tried switching it on as I knew the last time it had over half battery and the kindle battery life lasts forever but no it wouldnt switch on, so I charged it for a couple of hours and tried switching it on when I got "your kindle needs repair pleace contact amazon.com"..

Great so I do a bit of researching and and hold the button down hoping a simple reset would do the trick but no..

So I give amazon a call who were very helpfull at running up my phone bill and eventually offered to send a replacement Great, so I hand over the serial number and address in Ireland( Thats where my mom lives) and upload my CC details so as the can charge for the postage..

A day later they get back to me saying the warranty and kindle model was from Japan and I needed to contact them to get a replacement :/

Bought online from from a website based in Hong Kong sent to Australia

So I decided to do this one through the chat as I was already down $20 from the last phone call same story except they wouldn't ship the Kindle outside Japan, but suggested I send to a friend in Japan and they could send to me(no luck there).. I was glad I used the chat at this stage as this kindle would be getting rather expensive lol

So I contact the online store where I bought it and they suggest I pay to ship it to them and back $60 and they will fix it, I tried asking them to contact amazon and get a replacement but they said they need to see it to validate the warranty, bummer since I opened it to disconnect the battery to see if it would reset it which probably voids that ..

So if your still here, this is where you guys come in, I have read extensively and unbricking and the K5 rescue pack and jailbreaking kindles...

Ive tried everything in the 2 second window amazon have allowed me try try and rectify the problem(absolute joke worst operating system ever) with obvious no avail

The problem I seem to be having is

1) My kindle was never jail broken so the K5 rescue pack wont install
2) I cant jail break my kindle as it is bricked
3) My operating system in Windows 8.1
4) Amazon are cunts lol and the kindle operating system is stone age when it comes to repairs

so any suggestions, as this is my last hope before I let the kindle get the better of me..

B05A, 905A Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (Japan) PW2, PW2J [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.0]
Firmware: 5.4.0
eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Hmmm.. well, I suspect the Kindle drained it's battery (and possibly filled its memory) by trying to index the 3,000 books you put on it.

I would expect that it should be possible to get it back in working order with some kind of hard reset, but my knowledge of such procedures isn't up-to-date.

I expect that someone will be along shortly who will know how to help.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O
If you can manage to get it to show up and be useful over USB, after a hard-reboot, even if for a short period of time: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223067
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
fllc
fllc began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I had an identical situation with my previous K4. Ran out of space while indexing and depleted the battery in the process. I used Kubrick to debrick. I think you should follow the debricking instruction for PW from the Wiki...

On a side note, my newest PW2 ran out of space while indexing but the battery was not depleted. It showed an error message something to the effect "No space for notes...". I cleaned up the space and everything was fine afterwards.
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Bought online from from a website based in Hong Kong sent to Australia
Why on earth did you do that? Given that you are in Ireland, you could have ordered it from Amazon UK, and got free delivery too.

I know that doesn't help you now, but it's a useful lesson for another time.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
knc1
Helpdesk Junkie
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Would an Irishman listen to a Scotsman?
(Maybe if in the same pub, but in general .... )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
If I was giving a Reader as a gift and putting books on it, I would make sure that it worked after the books were put on. 3000 at a time is going to drain the battery. It needed to be plugged into a wall socket based USB port in order to finish indexing 3000 books.

So if you do get it working, don't put on 3000 books. I cannot see your mother ever finishing them all. Just put on a reasonable amount of books that she will like.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
eire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Why on earth did you do that? Given that you are in Ireland, you could have ordered it from Amazon UK, and got free delivery too.

I know that doesn't help you now, but it's a useful lesson for another time.

Mike
I work in Australia and try to live a little there as well(pretty hard with the cost of living), bought it off eglobal to save a buck there pretty good and they would replace it, I didn't want to spend the money for the shipping when it was possible I voided the warranty by disconnecting the battery..
Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
eire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you can manage to get it to show up and be useful over USB, after a hard-reboot, even if for a short period of time: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223067
Your a legend, why was something so easy made so hard by Amazon its just madness..

I guess you guys know what my moms getting for her birthday hush hush I had to get her a voucher after being left red faced Christmas morning ..

Thanks for all the replies, this forum is a mass of information I guess I just got bogged down tring to jail break and use the K5 rescue kit ..

Anyway,

Thanks for all the replies, I still cant believe it was that simple ha