Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1036
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Okay. I thought maybe you did a Modify Epub step or something.

My testing shows that the language in the epub is preserved when calibre writes the epub to device if the calibre language field is empty. But I can certainly see calibre losing that in conversion if the calibre language field is empty.

The FFDL code was intended to default the language to English in calibre, too, but that code is mildly broken. It will be fixed in the next version.
Er, as I guessed in my earlier post, the last time I ended up with an ebook without language metadata I was probably still using the MOBIs directly created by FFDL

I am not sure though ... I looked at some of the earlier AO3 downloads where I kept the MOBIs because they indexed without hiccups and I had already attached notes to them, but they are all marked as en in the MOBI metadata ...

Maybe I misremembered and the MOBIs with missing language metadata where the ones directly I downloaded from AO3 when I was browsing the site from my kindle, to be later replaced with FFDL-downloaded ones (there were a few of those)? If that is indeed the case, I'm sorry!

In the meantime, the AO3 feature request has been added. And their MOBIs with missing language metadata are in there too, so either way, this should be fixed once they implement it .
Old 11-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #1037
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Icarus Illumina XL, Boyue T62
Quote:
How many times have you downloaded what sounded like an interesting story only to discover that not only was it not to your taste, but that you remember starting and rejecting it before?

Now FFDL can help you out with that with it's Reject List feature.
That... actually sounds incredibly awesome.
There could be a greater degree of logging, but as it is, it is rather excellent.
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #1038
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatheia View Post
That... actually sounds incredibly awesome.
There could be a greater degree of logging, but as it is, it is rather excellent.
Excellent! I was half convinced I was crazy.

What sort of logging would be helpful?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #1039
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Eh, just what stories were deleted, something along those lines. As the highlighting changes afterwards, or even during, I am always paranoid that I am deleting something I want to keep.
But, no, it's not crazy. I had it happen to me more often that I care to. In fact, just last week I ran into a story that sort of sounded familiar, in an unpleasant sort of way, but it could have been just that I thought the story had a potential of being bad despite a nice summary.

Speaking of logging, I noticed that now Calibre writes all the chapters that are being downloaded, making the job logs rather extensive. Is it meant to do that, or just a bug?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #1040
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since it's not running in the background, it's only the debug/console logging that could be added on 'add to reject / delete'. But I can log that there.
Quote:
Speaking of logging, I noticed that now Calibre writes all the chapters that are being downloaded, making the job logs rather extensive. Is it meant to do that, or just a bug?
I did do that on purpose. It had to do with making the looking more uniform across CLI/Web/PI and making more available in PI without having to run debug mode and collect the console output. I assume nobody really looks at the download job output unless they have a problem--in which case more is better.
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #1041
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
I love the sound of the Reject List feature and how it will work. Great idea!

And since we can add our own remarks on the stories all the better. I know there are some stories that I have in my library which I've given low star ratings, but I haven't removed them because I like a bunch of other stories by that author and I don't want to keep downloading it. Being able to remove a story from one's library AND make a note on why it's not a keeper (or something you should bother downloading again) would be incredibly useful.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #1042
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
I join the others in saying I find the Reject List feature a great idea. I have a bunch of stories I downloaded that turned out to be a waste. Labeling those sounds nice.

Last edited by Firedancer885; 11-16-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #1043
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I'm glad people like the idea. Now what do you think of how I did it?

There's already a test version here implemented. Please try it out and let me know what you think.

Be careful, however, part of the feature is deleting books.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #1044
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Awesome idea! I have a number of stories that I've kept in my library because the summaries sounded great but the stories fell far short of expectations or took a serious left turn at Albuquerque. Being able to mark them as 'rejects' and get rid of them without fear of re-downloading would be great.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #1045
Niedzielan
Niedzielan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Loving the Reject List feature.

One suggestion:
I'd like to be able to set certain metadata to be rejected, such as author, rating, status, genre, etc. If possible, also being able to reject books with a range in numerical metadata (e.g. rejecting fics with <10,000 words)

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #1046
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm glad people like the idea. Now what do you think of how I did it?

There's already a test version here implemented. Please try it out and let me know what you think.

Be careful, however, part of the feature is deleting books.
I like it, I especially like that it deletes the book from my library. The only part that didn't seem to work as easily I would like is the note feature. I almost didn't realize I could edit it.

It would be nice to create (this would be user defined) a set of reasons to reject a story and then be allowed to pick from those when you reject a story. But that might be too difficult to do. Right now, I made a 'comma, tag' column for my reasons for rejections. I'm going through the stories to see which ones I want on the rejection list and placing the correct rejection tag. This way, when I put them on the rejection list I can note why I rejected it.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #1047
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Drop-down reasons is something I'll consider (especially if I can find an example to borrow from).

Rejection by criteria (author, story length, etc) isn't. All of that is presumably available to you when you are choosing stories.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #1048
DnK
DnK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
www.potterfics.com could be added to the plugin? Spanish is the page that has more fics and would be a hoot to download some that are very good.

Sorry for the English is made with google translator.

regards
Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #1049
iatheia
Zealot

It wouldn't be impossible. The layout is a bit ugly, though, and there is virtually no metadata available. I mean, I wouldn't even be comfortable extracting summary from it, let alone a category or anything of that sort. But if all you want is title, author, date and chapters themselves, then, sure, I could write it up later this week, unless Jim wants to do it.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #1050
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
... But if all you want is title, author, date and chapters themselves, then, sure, I could write it up later this week, unless Jim wants to do it.
I agree. It can be done, but it will not have everything the other sites do.

Go right ahead--doing the Italian one reminded me why I'd stopped.
Closed Thread