Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Data on Kindle character sets and font

I was curious about the firmware update 1.2 for Kindle 1, and wanted to know how the Greek characters worked, since Kindle previously seemed to support only Latin-1 encoding. I was wondering about Latin-1 vs. UTF-8, etc.

I called Kindle Support (after a couple of non-helpful email interactions), and got 2nd level support, who offered to investigate for me. While waiting, it suddenly came to me that the Greek characters could probably be input to a document using HTML entities.

Here is his response:

"Yes, we have always supported UTF-8 encoded Mobipocket files. We also support the older Windows-1252 encoded files.
Although, Greek can be supported in either encoding using numeric character entities. For instance the Unicode value of pi is U+03C0. It can be encoded using the "π" character entity, which does not require UTF-8."

"the kindle has always supported UTF-8. The font sets are limited, however."

So, the character limitations are because of the font not having representations for those characters. Which is odd. I thought creating fonts wasn't that big a deal. Lots of fonts can represent Cyrillic, etc.

Anyway, the Greek characters now let them display more math, physics, etc.

Just thought people might be interested, here, since we have a lot of computer geeks, that like details.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Unicode Glyphs test file for Kindle, on the situation with version 1.0.4 firmware. The test files may need updating, but they are a good start.

I think the issue with the font (Caecilia) and Greek was licensing, rather than the characters not being available from Linotype.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert