Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
testor
testor began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and Kindle
Cannot Communicate with iPad

Hi there,
it's my first time being here and I'm looking forward for creative discussions.

I am a beginner with calibre and eBook management.

Actually I am using my iPad3 with iOS 6.0 and iBooks 2.2 (931) and Kindle for iPad 3.3 as my eBook readers.

It would be a great help if I could use Calibre V. 0.8.70 as my eBook mangement tool. Indeed calibre accepts iPad as a ebook reader. After connecting ot to my PC it is recognized BUT then follwing message pop up::

Cannnot communicate with the Device:

calibre, version 0.8.70
FEHLER: Fehler: Fehler bei der Kommunikation mit dem Gerät

Cannot write to file: hr=2147942450 facility=7 error_code=50 description: Die Anforderung wird nicht unterstützt.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 466, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 161, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 137, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 128, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 33, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 391, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147942450 facility=7 error_code=50 description: Die Anforderung wird nicht unterstützt.

My first assumption was that the actual version of calibre 0.8.70 isn't updated to work with the newest iOS updates. But I am simply not sure.

Does calibre 0.8.70 support iPad 3 with iOS 6.0?

If so, what can I do to get this fixed?

I have read through this forum but didn't find any hint so far.

Thank you for you help and advice.

Greetings
Testor
testor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1054562
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
testor

Thank you for your fast response.

My understanding is, that this is the solution for the actual communcation problem and that a direct communication to iPad is - at least at the moment - not possible.

Right click the ipad icon in the toolbar, select configure this device,
and tell calibre to ignore the device. Then calibre will no longer try
to connect to the device by MTP and use the old vay, via iTunes instead.

In this case I have to have iTunes installed on my PC AND Calibre. Whatever book I am preparing via calibre I am sending it to "Mainmemory" which in this case is iTunes. BTW, can this "mainmemory" expression dynamically be renamed to "iTunes". It was a bit misleading - at least for me.

In the next step I have to synchronize iTunes with the attached iPad.

So far my understanding.

But whats about the Kindle App installed on an iPad? How to send eBooks to the Kindle app?

Is there any idea or soultion on the way?

BTW Thank you for Calibre!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by testor View Post
But whats about the Kindle App installed on an iPad? How to send eBooks to the Kindle app?

Is there any idea or soultion on the way?
There is no way using Calibre to send books directly to any app on an iOS system (iPhone, iPad, iPod). The current iTunes integration will only send books to iBooks.

You can get books sent indirectly to the Kindle app by telling Calibre to email them to your Kindle account at Amazon, as long as the Kindle app is linked to this account it will then receive the book.

Last edited by itimpi; 09-28-2012 at 09:11 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
testor

Thank you for clearification.
Advert