Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
michaelpc
michaelpc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Adding a font to an ebook

I am trying to add a font to an epub document, it is a ttf file that I have added to linux (ubuntu.) Any suggestions to wrapping the font in with the epub? I have tried most of the software and some how tos with no success.

Thank you

Mick
michaelpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:40 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You would probably be best off with an editor like Sigil or the Calibre editor. Those will handle several things for you. In short, this is what needs to be done.

1. Add the font(s) to the ePUB (it is a zip, but add, do not remake if you have not done it before)
2. Add the font to the OPF file
3. Ensure the font is defined in the stylesheet (@font-face) and actually used for certain classes (font-family)
4. Ensure the classes are used in the actual XHTML files by using the classes and the stylesheet.

An editor will help you with 1, 2 and partially with 4.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2015, 04:22 AM   #3
michaelpc
michaelpc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ok, so, I downloaded calibre and it actually converted the file properly and (it) included the font. But when I upload it to Amazon and preview it, the font is not there!?

Thank you

Mick

Edit, I did check and 1-4 seems to be correct, but I am new to this.

Last edited by michaelpc; 01-29-2015 at 04:25 AM.
michaelpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpc View Post
Ok, so, I downloaded calibre and it actually converted the file properly and (it) included the font. But when I upload it to Amazon and preview it, the font is not there!?

Thank you

Mick

Edit, I did check and 1-4 seems to be correct, but I am new to this.
Mobi does not support fonts
You can't UPLOAD AZW3 to your device via Amazon. You can Sideload AZW3
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpc View Post
I am trying to add a font to an epub document, it is a ttf file that I have added to linux (ubuntu.) Any suggestions to wrapping the font in with the epub? I have tried most of the software and some how tos with no success.

Thank you

Mick
Follow the instructions given and upload the epub. KDP will convert a valid epub flawlessly in my experience.

(However, I don't believe in embedding fonts. I fear they will annoy some people and fail to display for others who have older e-ink readers.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is if you have to embed a font in order to properly display something, then there is going to be an issue as your font will be stripped out by Amazon and even if it wasn't, it wouldn't display in Mobi since Mobi doesn't work with embedded fonts.

Also, you would need to place a notice in the beginning of the eBook to say that you need to turn on publisher default fonts or it won't display.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is if you have to embed a font in order to properly display something, then there is going to be an issue as your font will be stripped out by Amazon and even if it wasn't, it wouldn't display in Mobi since Mobi doesn't work with embedded fonts.
Jon:

No, sweetie, you are mis-remembering, that's not right. Not all fonts are stripped; MANY aren't. Hell, MOST aren't. As you know, we provide white-label service for numerous print layout houses, creating eBooks with fonts, and we only run into a font-stripping problem VERY OCCASIONALLY. When we do, it's almost never, mind you, in a commercially-done book (in terms of layout, interestingly)...it seems to be those sort of whacky-layout, "I designed this myself!" kind of books, from self-pubs. (This isn't a crack about self-pubs, but as one of the larger Indy firms of eBook producers, we get some outright doozies).

And it's almost always a scenario involving an embedded serif, san-serif and a third "fancy" font, like a handwriting font, or something else that is a particular or "special" font. We had this with a book with two (not one, but Two!) Lucida fonts (handwriting AND Calligraphy, gods help us) and a book with "Chiller." PLUS the "normal" serif and sans-serifs. Now, you can't blame a book for balking over those types of things, now, can ya?

Quote:
Also, you would need to place a notice in the beginning of the eBook to say that you need to turn on publisher default fonts or it won't display.
For the Paperwhite, this is accurate. I don't remember if it's also right for the Voyage--methinks not. It's not right for any of the others, as far as I know.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

And it's almost always a scenario involving an embedded serif, san-serif and a third "fancy" font, like a handwriting font, or something else that is a particular or "special" font. We had this with a book with two (not one, but Two!) Lucida fonts (handwriting AND Calligraphy, gods help us) and a book with "Chiller." PLUS the "normal" serif and sans-serifs. Now, you can't blame a book for balking over those types of things, now, can ya?
Everytime I hear something like this, I ask myself, have these author actually ever read books? Aside from "The neverending story", some glyphs in Tolkiens books and a handful of literary fiction like Sfoer, no book has anything like that. Why do they think this is a good idea? It just screams "amateur" to me.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I can at least see where they are coming from in limited circumstances. For instance, recently I had to decontaminate H.I.V.E (Higher Institute of Villainous Education) which had way too many fonts and images (and backads, G-d help me), but it also had some headings which used some angular font or other (same as in the pbook) that was supposed to tie in with the computers theme.

They were also using some special font and demented CSS to make a weird colored panel for the Author Bio.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One recent eBook I had to clean of all of the fonts is The Martian. It has FreeMono, FreeSans, and FreeSerif embedded. These fonts are just way too light for use on an eInk Reader. I think whoever decided to embed those rather poor fonts has neve viewed that eBook on any eInk Reader or they would not have been used. Even with the front light on, it's still hard to read. The sans font was not too too bad as it was just for chapter titles and readable (not as good as it should be). The serif font was hard to see and the mono font nearly impossible to see.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-05-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One recent eBook I had to clean of all of the fonts is The Martian. It has FreeMono, FreeSans, and FreeSerif embedded. These fonts are just way too light for use on an eInk Reader. I think whoever decided to embed those rather poor fonts has neve viewed that eBook on any eInk Reader or they would not have been used. Even with the front light on, it's still hard to read. The sans font was not too too bad as it was just for chapter titles and readable (not as good as it should be). The serif font was hard to see and the mono font nearly impossible to see.
Yes...I see that fairly often. Folks think that a font (for example, Adobe Palatino) is lovely in print, but it's FAAAAAAAAAAR too light for e-ink. I suspect you're right, whomever made it didn't have a real device.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes...I see that fairly often. Folks think that a font (for example, Adobe Palatino) is lovely in print, but it's FAAAAAAAAAAR too light for e-ink. I suspect you're right, whomever made it didn't have a real device.

Hitch
I just took a look at The Martian in ADE on my Surface Pro 2 and FreeSans and FreeSerif are not too bad. But FreeMon is still way too light. On eInk, I had trouble reading FreeMono with the front light on.

Using LCD to view a font is in no way a proper substitute to viewing on an eInk screen. I do thinkt hat these days, it would be prudent to have different devices because of the different screens to test the eBooks.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #13
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Everytime I hear something like this, I ask myself, have these author actually ever read books? Aside from "The neverending story", some glyphs in Tolkiens books and a handful of literary fiction like Sfoer, no book has anything like that. Why do they think this is a good idea? It just screams "amateur" to me.
I spend more time than I should on the KDP "Ask the Community" forum, and I am convinced that a significant minority of self-pubbers do not have a personal library, do not read books for pleasure, and (more astonishing, actually) haven't much looked at e-books either.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I spend more time than I should on the KDP "Ask the Community" forum, and I am convinced that a significant minority of self-pubbers do not have a personal library, do not read books for pleasure, and (more astonishing, actually) haven't much looked at e-books either.
And given your list:
have not hired a 'Pro' with a good track record.

It is not Rocket science (for basic books), but you do need to be able to recognize a rocket if you trip on one in the alley.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:

Hitch
It's worse
The tolino (a German crappy reader) has Linux Libertine
(as we remember a TNR replacement designed! for being printed)
As a built-in font to be chosen from.

*hands gloves of epic facepalm out*
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote