Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx
Greg Waddell began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Custom Columns Question

I have created a custom column called "Type" that contains--you guessed it--the type of ebook document. I notice that, in the left-hand columns browser (not sure it's called that), when I open the "Type" column, some of the icons are faded and others are not. What does this mean? I also notice that sometimes I get a green plus mark instead of the column icon; what's that all about. If I click the green plus mark, it become a red minus mark. Can somebody tell me what this is all about?

I have added a screenshot below to show what I'm talking about.

Thanks

gsw

Greg Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yeah that faded icon thing threw me for *ages*. I think it is coloured according to the average rating for the books in that subgroup. No rating it is totally greyed out etc, I recall there is a way to turn it off, as I confess to finding it a bit distracting to have the whole tag browser coloured in this way.

The plus is there because you can ctrl+click on other items within the tag browser to get them included in the search, so it becomes a bit "or" clause or "and" clause depending on the "Match" combobox down near the bottom. Clicking on the plus again to turn it into a minus makes it a "not" search.

So right now your search will be something like #type:"=journal article". Click on it again and it will become not #type:"=journal article"
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know about the faded icons, but the plus and minus signs have to do with selecting your books via the tag browser: If you click on an entry the first time, it changes to a plus and the books in that entry get displayed. If you click on the entry a second time, it changes to a minus and the books not in that entry get displayed. You can select multiple entries using the ctrl key. If you're unsure about what is getting displayed, take a look in the search bar- the tag browser constructs a search for your selection.

Edit: Damn, I got ninja'd
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Preferences->Look and feel - look for "Show average ratings in the tags browser". Uncheck this to get your icons all the same colour
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Yeah, I did- I still keep learning things about Calibre
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
Greg Waddell
WTMaxx
Greg Waddell began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Thanks Manichean and KiwiDude,
I would never have figured that out without your help. It's nice to know what things are about.. not knowing keeps one awake at night. .. well, maybe not everybody.

Greg
Greg Waddell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom columns, icons, interface