Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
NewDay
Connoisseur
NewDay doesn't litterNewDay doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Jellby, I tried substituting the %20 between words in the file name. No luck. What am I doing wrong here? It gives me "referenced resource missing in package" whether I add hyphens between words, run them all together, or add the %20. ???
NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
ADE-based readers can handle filenames with spaces without any problem, but iBooks can't. You can fiddle around adding %20s, but the easiest thing is just to remove spaces from the filename.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Yeah the problem is you have to treat iBooks as a new completely different reader, insofar as it refuses to follow the ePub specs which everyone else does, case in point, sans-serif fonts inside div, span, p classes...

Once you get it to work and know all the idiosyncrasys of the iBooks, the other readers will fall into place...

eg. this goes from the text to the Notes.xhtml file
<a id="anchor-50-anchor" /><span class="superscript"><a href="Notes.xhtml#anchor-57-anchor">1</a>

This goes from the Notes back to text file
<a id="anchor-57-anchor" /><p class="x-notes-text"><span class="superscript"><a href="Chapter_6.xhtml#anchor-50-anchor">1</a>
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
NewDay
Connoisseur

I see you used an underscore between Chapter and 6. Makes sense, 'cause then it reads as one without the confusion of words running together.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Yes, but that's for my own sanity more then anything else. I just don't like seeing the %20 in the code...

Another way to write the name without the spaces is by using capitals, for example

forexamplethislineishardtoread...ComparedWithThisL ine
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
NewDay
Connoisseur

I like your underscores better.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #22
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDay View Post
Jellby, I tried substituting the %20 between words in the file name. No luck. What am I doing wrong here? It gives me "referenced resource missing in package" whether I add hyphens between words, run them all together, or add the %20. ???
You'll need to change the filenames in the opf file as well.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Quote:
Jelby, I took the file designation literally, stroke by stroke, from the xhtml files as they are expressed in the OEBPS. Should I add hyphens between words in the file name?
1. My File Name Here Now - original
2. My_File_Name_Here_Now - good practice
3. My%20File%20Name%20Here%20Now - typical output for spaces

-Fabe
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #24
NewDay
Connoisseur

Fabe, thank you. Nice presentation.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #25
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Wait, you're telling me that InDesign will split files without updating links? That's absolutely insane. It makes any file-splitting feature completely and utterly useless.
It's just easier to stay with CS4. (CS5 was a waste, seeing as it was purchased explicitly for ePub export) CS4 doesn't wreck the links. I call the file names exactly what I want in the TOC and let InDesign create the TOC from the files names. CS4 replaces the spaces with %20 to all the code and it works fine.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #26
NewDay
Connoisseur

I want my money back!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #27
Adjust
Addict

The one good thing I use it for, is for epubs with alot of images.
CS3 tends to repeat all the images used in the job depending on how many chapters there were... CS5 cleans them out

Last edited by Adjust; 10-24-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #28
NewDay
Connoisseur

Clever ploy, Adjust. btw, I overcame that linking problem by establishing a category of "finder" (in this case, Recipe Finder) that used internal hyperlinks within the same file. That overcame the losing-them-across-files problem, and streamlined the nav toc to boot.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Clever ploy, Adjust. btw, I overcame that linking problem by establishing a category of "finder" (in this case, Recipe Finder) that used internal hyperlinks within the same file. That overcame the losing-them-across-files problem, and streamlined the nav toc to boot.
What sort of magic is that? Where is it learned? Who do you have to pay? But multiple files for the chapters right?

Last edited by wannabee; 10-26-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Clarification
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #30
NewDay
Connoisseur

It's called Fiddle-and-Fix-It. This is a cookbook. Cookbooks need good indexes. Best index for an ereader is hyperlinks. Mention a recipe and Bang! hyperlink takes you right there.

Links across chapters still didn't work, but here's what I did finally get to function: The whole cookbook is in one document, but InDesign split the files according to chapters (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Side Dishes, Cookies, Dessert, Dog Treats...you get the idea). Each chapter is a Level One heading in the toc.

Back at the Fiddle-and-Fix-It level, at the beginning of each chapter I created a rubric called Recipe Finder, which I gave a Level 2 heading. Breakfast chapter begins with a very brief discussion on the first page, then on the second page we find Breakfast Recipe Finder, which lists the breakfast recipes alphabetically, with a hyperlink to each recipe within that chapter (file). The toc reads heirarchically: Breakfasts, Breakfast Recipe Finder; Lunches, Lunch Recipe Finder; and so on.

Now if I can just find how to get the toc to actually STACK level two underneath level one, I'll be going live with this. Right now, iBooks is blithely ignoring my h1, h2 commands. Anybody got any ideas?