Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
No books in author sort on Kindle Touch after uploading via Calibre?

I have another problem with my Kindle Touch I cannot figure out. I used Calibre to edit my books' metadata and now no books show up when I sort by author. Only the New Oxford dictionary in an Archive folder. Not even the user guide that comes with the device.

I used Calibre to edit the user data in my library. Stuff like proper capitalization, ignoring indefinite articles when determining placement in a list but still displaying them (ie Stranger, The, for sorting purposes, but The Stranger when displayed). Sme thing with author names. Author names should be sorted by last name, but ideally display the full name, (ie Camus, Albert for sorting purposes, but Albert Camus when displayed.) And some decent cover art would be nice. Even Amazon is pretty bad about metadata when it comes to their free offerings. Free Lord Dunsany books have the author "LORD DUNSANY". Rage! Some books are by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, some by an un-knighted Arthur Conan Doyle. Et cetera.

Then I uploaded the books to my Kindle. That caused problems with multiple books, and books that I had deleted refusing to go away, even though the Kindle couldn't find them when I tried selecting them. So I factory reset the Kindle Touch and re-uploaded all the books. I have about 175 books. Immediately they all show up when I sort by most recent, title, or collection, but none when I sort by author. I've read a lot of users saying it takes a ridiculously long time to index so I waited overnight. However, no change by morning. Help! I'd really like to use the author sort!

Also, I'm getting pretty close to giving up with this thing and returning it for a Kindle 4. I already paid Amazon (post-sale) to get the ads removed. Can I get Amazon to forward that credit to another device when the Touch is as buggy as it is? Thanks.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I just checked again: calibre has not yet added a driver for Kindle Touch. As such, I would not trust it to put content on KT. There have been some changes to how Amazon organizes the content (specifically where it puts sidecar files) and I think calibre needs to take that into account. The Kindle plugin is pretty much useless for KT as well.

Even before this, I was using calibre less and less to put content on my Kindle, because of the improvements to the Personal Documents service, which lets me put everything in the free account cloud storage. So I use the calibre email to kindle feature instead. Then I get syncing, notes backup, etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
For some reason, Calibre (updated, running on a Mac) won't actually let me "Send to device" with the Touch, but it will "Save to disk"...right to the mounted KT's Documents folder. That's how I added my collection from there. Seeing this post, I just tried sorting by author, and everything copied in this way from Calibre appears on the Touch just fine.

If you do decide to return it and contact Amazon re: the $40 surcharge to remove Special Offers, do post what they say. It's a valid question, I'd be interested in the answer.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I have not had any trouble with books loaded onto my Touch with Calibre in Windows 7, and I am using the same driver as my k2.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I finally figured it out. When I scrolled up and down through the index when not using author sort, the Kindle would balk at the prospect of going to one page in particular. It would hang and become unresponsive for a few minutes before loading and showing a bunch of blank items. Once I scrolled past that page, I was good. But it was consistent. I had this problem before and after I did the factory reset. I guessed it might be choking on a single book. If I scrolled to that page from below, all the books but one would show in the list, so I inferred the missing book and deleted it using Calibre (couldn't on the device due to unresponsiveness.)

The Kindle is a lot more responsive now. *knocks on wood* I'll mess around with that in Calibre or look for other copies of it later.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert