Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Very loud. Every time I turn it on in class entire class turns around to look at me... I'd rather avoid that.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #17
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
If you don't want to keep headphones around, could you try taking an old pair of earbuds that don't work any more (doesn't everyone keep their old electronics that don't work), cut off the wires, and use the plug to mute the sound? Depending on your carrying case, you may be able to just keep it plugged in.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #18
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
OK, volume level noted. I'll see what can be done...
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Or simply an option to deactivate it.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #20
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
If making an option will take a bit of time I would say just temporary remove the start up sound until an option is available. I'm sure you would be hard press to find a customer who would be opposed to removing it.
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #21
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

locked out

JW I seem to be locked out of that folder I only have read.
How does one go about being able to swap files in the system/media folder?
I am using Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Aww, but we worked so long and hard on that sound...

GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #22
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You need to have root and mount /system as read/write. Then you can rename or delete the mp3 file for the startup sound.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #23
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
There's a tutorial how to do just that in the sticky (not the hacking one) page 2. Just instead of changing directory to /system/app go to /system/media

I just deleted it myself. Hate when things make noise at start up.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
I support the option to turn on/off the sound.

Thanks dmacmart for the earbud idea! I'm now using an old headset adapter I found lying around. Didn't even have to snip any wires. :-) Now my partner doesn't catch on when I can't sleep and decide to read the wee hours away.
cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
jcmc71
jcmc71 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
startup sound delete

Pardon my ignorance, but I dont know how to root my Kobo Vox and find the startup sound file so that i can remove it. The earbud solution is lowtech enough for me to get, but I'd prefer the more sophisticated remedy.
Thanks to all for the discussion on this annoying Vox trait.
jcmc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmc71 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I dont know how to root my Kobo Vox and find the startup sound file so that i can remove it. The earbud solution is lowtech enough for me to get, but I'd prefer the more sophisticated remedy.
Thanks to all for the discussion on this annoying Vox trait.
1. Root vox: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156185

2. Then refer to post #12 in the thread we are in.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
muskiestallker
muskiestallker began at the beginning.

I can't seem to move or delete the file. I had to re-root my vox after the March 2nd update. Anyone know how to move or delete this file?
muskiestallker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #28
mr_nobody
Evangelist

If your vox is rooted, you need to mount the filesystem as rw. Easiest way is to use es file explorer. Then you can delete the file.