Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Dawson Vosburg
Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (maybe)
The speed of Smashwords

XD
Dawson Vosburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
LOL sure feels like that... took over 3 weeks to get my latest book which had NO errors at all into the premium catalog and its still not "shipped" yet.... *sigh*
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
micki
micki began at the beginning.

Device: none
I agree. I put mine up - after two weeks it was still pending approval. I hav subsequently taken it down - need to change the title. But in those two weeks - nothing happened.
micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!

It does take a lifetime. I don't know why either. I couldn't pass the criteria so I paid for someone to format it for me, it then went straight through..
Abigail Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Dawson Vosburg
Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dawson Vosburg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mean, seriously--they try to format a WORD document, the most incompatible format you can think of, into all of these different formats. Especially if you're not using Word itself, it's a real hassle doing anything.

And of course if you get one format to look good, the other ones look bad. I dunno why they chose that system. Especially when it takes that long to do the conversion just to find out you screwed something up.
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well the conversion happens pretty quick for me, while I wait even, but to get it in to the premium catalog takes weeks... almost a month on my last one.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
And we pay Smashwords how much? Last time I looked, it was a free service. If you read and follow the Smashwords formatting guidelines, you will get premium distribution. I say that as someone who has had revisions rejected and knows how frustrating that can be. One nice benefit of all that work is you will be nicely set up to upload your work to Amazon's Kindle Distribution Program, which if my experience is any guide, is where the lion's share of your books will be purchased.

Bottom Line: Smashwords costs nothing, it distributes in all formats (try doing it yourself), and it gets you in better shape to upload to Amazon. That said, there are a couple of things I would tweak, but overall I can't complain.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Ethan Holmes
Author
Ethan Holmes began at the beginning.

Device: None
To all those fellow authors who have taken note of the significantly longer time it now takes to attain "premium catalog" distribution status; you should be aware the ebook industry is literally exploding. Unfortunately it has taken on an "american idol" like status where everyone now apparently believes they are an author. This is especially so if you can string more than three sentences together, preferably containing the words vampire and lesbian in them. (Tongue in cheek.) The result is the same as on the TV show; thousands of people jumping on the bandwagon in hopes of fame and fortune. There is no quality content control on the Internet save the ability of distributors such as Smashwords to control the format quality. Thus they are flooded with thousands of submissions a week now compared to a year ago when it took less than three days for the whole process on my first novel.
Lastly, Smashwords is most certainly not "FREE". They make a cut on each and every book in their catalog as is fair and proper.
Ethan Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Dawson Vosburg

And it being free is not reason enough to be slow and difficult--it's free. Great. There are other services that are free that are much faster and user-friendly. You're not competing with anyone who charges you up-front, so why would it being free be an excuse?

And, as Ethan says, they do indeed take money for each copy sold.

One of the things that bothers me to no end is that since you have to follow the style guide pretty much to the letter, you're REQUIRED to slog through twenty-two thousand words of formatting instructions in order to get through bug-free (even then there are no guarantees).
Old 07-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL. Nice pic.
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote