Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.0.3 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix bug of plugin not working for first time users
  • Add text to config dialog advising of behaviour if enable automatic apply view

@Jesscat - please give this a whirl, thx for reporting the issue.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Never occurred to me that it could be a flaw in the plugin!

So I've tried out the new version, and it appears to be saving my views now and working fine. Thank you!

One thing, though... Re: the discussion above about restrictions, Nyn's comment:

Quote:
If I go from a view without a restriction to one with one, it switches fine but if I go from a view with a restriction to one without one, it will not update and add all the books into the view.
And your response:

Quote:
If you go from a view with a restriction to one without, I would expect that you must set a restriction of "blank" on the one without and tick the "apply restriction" for it, to force the previous restriction to be removed.
What about for Apply Saved Searches? I would think the same reasoning would apply, but when I go from a view with a saved search applied to one without, even if I set a blank saved search and tick "Apply Saved Search," it still doesn't force the previous saved search to be removed - the results remain limited to the saved search results and all the other books aren't added back into the view. Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong, or have I stumbled upon another error?
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 04:06 AM   #18
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.0.4 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix bug of applying a blank saved search not working
Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #19
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
Never occurred to me that it could be a flaw in the plugin!
lol... trust me, there have been a few flaws lately. Not enough time to test every permutation of the large number of plugins I maintain unfortunately. Just trying to rush through the backlog so I can take a break for a while so patience appreciated for the odd hiccup like you have found.
Quote:
What about for Apply Saved Searches? I would think the same reasoning would apply, but when I go from a view with a saved search applied to one without, even if I set a blank saved search and tick "Apply Saved Search," it still doesn't force the previous saved search to be removed - the results remain limited to the saved search results and all the other books aren't added back into the view. Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong, or have I stumbled upon another error?
You would make a marvellous tester

Yeah, another flaw - there is a little difference in the GUI I hadn't noticed between the restriction combo (which has blank as a value in the dropdown and has fixed values) versus the saved search dropdown (which does not have blank). So it needs a different piece of code which I have now added in 1.0.4 above.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Okay, that's working! Glad I could help - I actually do have something of a background in programming/software development, though I'm only a dabbler now and my Python is pathetic enough that it might as well be nonexistent, so I'm pretty useless when it comes to actually helping with Calibre. But I think - I hope - I've still retained have decent testing/debugging skills and some understanding of procedure at least...

So another questions: Can you explain how sorting precedence works? For example, say I'd like to sort first on authors (A->Z), and then on my "read" column, which is a yes/no, in descending order - so all the books with "no" in that column would appear at the top, ordered by author name, all books with "yes" in the column, again ordered by author.

In the Calibre library, I accomplish this by sorting first on the author column, then on the read column. But in the plug-in, it seems to be the reverse: to get the result I want, I have to put my "read" column (sorted descending) *above* my author column in the sorting window.

Actually, now that I think about it, it kind of seems to me like the plugin logic makes more sense: sort by read/unread, then all the read books are sorted by author, and so are all the unread ones. Same for say, author and title: I think my inclination would be, sort by author, then sort by title within each author. But to get that result in the calibre library, you have to sort by title first, then author. Maybe it's a level of sorting sophistication logic I don't currently have an adequate grasp of.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is, except for the fact that the plugin and calibre seem not to match in their sub-sorting logic - again unless I'm missing something!
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #21
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@jesscat - you are absolutely right, there is a difference exactly as stated. I am kind of on the fence on this one and could be convinced to change it so that you have to reverse the order in the plugin.

I did it the way it is currently because it is how I mentally think, and in other applications if you are asked to specify a primary and then secondary sorts you would always put the primary sort first.

That you have to click on columns in Calibre in the opposite order is just a function of how grid sorting works, not intutively how our brains think about how to sort.

So if I want to sort by author and then by title, to me it makes sense to have author at the top and title underneath.

However I am well aware that this is the opposite of what you would actually click on in the grid. What do people prefer?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #22
jesscat
Groupie

I'd never given much thought to the fact that the Calibre way (you say it's grid sorting? I don't know what that is...) really doesn't make logical sense to me. When I sort multiple columns I always do the same ones, so I've gotten accustomed to just clicking them in that order without actually thinking about it. But it isn't the way my brain works either, and it isn't the way any other software I've used works (thinking, e.g., of Excel), though there must be some reason Calibre does it that way?

So anyway, I can see why you're on the fence. I guess my initial thought would be to leave it as is. If people aren't really used to using Calibre's multiple-column sorting, my guess is that they'd more naturally assume it would work the way you have it. If they are, I think they'd probably figure it out (no one has complained so far, at least! ) I noticed mostly because I was setting up a view I use all the time, so I'm really accustomed to clicking those two columns in that order, but still, I didn't have any trouble figuring out what I needed to do to make it work.

And thanks for this - I haven't yet figured out all the ways it will be useful, but I know it will be!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #23
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
That you have to click on columns in Calibre in the opposite order is just a function of how grid sorting works, not intuitively how our brains think about how to sort.
Funny -- my brain does work this way. Applications that permit sorting by clicking on column headers (which Excel 2003 does not support) always (AFAIK) want you to do it so that the major result is the last column clicked. When I fly somewhere, my destination is the last place I stop. When I sort books into a pile, the one on top (the important one) is the last one I put there. When I tell someone how I want something ordered, I say A within B within C. Saying A then B then C is ambiguous. What does "then" mean temporally? Usually it would mean C after B after A, but in Excel it means A after B after C.

Shows there's nothing so strange as folks.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #24
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

I guess my brain thinks about sorting in a visual way

Title
..Author

doesn't do it for me... versus

Author
..Title

If I was describing this to someone, I would say "sort by Author then by Title". I would never say "Title within Author". You can get all temporal on me but perhaps because of my visual offset it just works for me

Like I said in my original post - if I'm just alone and weird in thinking this way then I will happily change it.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #25
jesscat
Groupie

I guess I think of it in a very linear way. To get the result I want, I'd have to sort by author first, then within each author, sort by title - that's the order in which those steps need to be taken in order to get the result; if you sorted by title first, you wouldn't get the right result. Or sort by read/unread first. Then within read and unread, sort by author. Which could be re-cast as by-author-within-read-status - but I still think of read status as being the first sort that has to happen.

I do see your point - after all, I've been doing it in calibre without thinking about it for a long time now: I click read status last, because that's ultimately what I want to see. But if I do think about it, the way calibre does it makes me confused, because it's not the order of the steps that have to happen, as I see it.

But yeah, brains are strange!

(And I guess it's been too long since I've used Excel - I was projecting!)
Old 04-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #26
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Kiwidude:

I am having a little problem with the plugin, for some reason when I restart Calibre it is not starting with the view which I had when exiting. It is restarting with one of my views, but not the last viewed although it always starts with the same one. I was wondering if there was a way to have a option added to the customization to tell it which view to always start with.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #27
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.0.5 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix bug of not always remembering the last applied view when restarting/switching libraries
  • Enhance configuration options to allow specifying a view to apply at startup
  • Ensure any auto applying of views is a per library setting

@Nyn - this should hopefully address the bug and feature request you made above. As you can see from the new screenshot you can choose to do nothing (default, checkbox is unchecked) or to automatically apply either the "*Last view used" special item at the top of the dropdown combo, or one of your named views.

Note that just like the views themselves this is a per library setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2_Configuration.png
Views:	677
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	70363  
Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #28
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Awesome!!! Now I need to decide if I want to use the last viewed or a specific view....
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #29
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've now been taking advantage of this plug-in a bit - and an idea (suggestion) came to mind. I don't know how easy this would be - as it would seem to require effecting the GUI itself (or perhaps it could - if this would be easier, as this is one thing that already has a dynamic feature - change just the icon for the plug-in) - but what I was wondering is if there was a way to indicate which view you were currently in.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:27 AM   #30
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

One problem is that if as a user you manually do something like moving or hiding a column, or changing sort order then the plugin will not know. So it would be lying to you about what view was selected.

Can you explain why you wanted it out of curiosity?