Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
robinhooddaffy
robinhooddaffy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
kindle not for lefties

I tried the K3 but ended up taking it back for the reason that it wasn't really left handed capable. I know that sounds silly, but with the 5 way switch on the right it was just totally awkward for a lefty. I loved that it was designed for audiobooks (which is my main book style). any other lefties feel kinda out of the loop here
robinhooddaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Are you one of those that uses a mouse with your left hand? I use the mouse with my right hand, so it's easier for me to adapt to the right-handed world. I don't know about the Kindle. I went to Best Buy to get one today and they didn't have any. There were no "sales associates" around to talk to, so I asked the 16 year-old cashier when the Kindles would be coming in. She said they didn't know when or how many, but the next truck comes on Wednesday and there "might" be some on it. Great way to run a business...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am left handed and it works create for me. But I can use either hand for everything except writing and eating.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont know... my uncle, aunt, brother, son, and 2 cousins are lefties and like the kindle.

I am a righty and when I need to use the 5 way switch I tend to gram the kindle with both hands anyhow.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I'm a lefty and it didn't bother me in the least. I don't like touch screens because they require two hands. I seldom use the 5-way during normal reading with one hand, so it's a non-issue.

BestBuy? That's another world. They are OK on mid-level consumer toys, and they do have some knowledgable 'geeks' behind the counter, but they couldn't fix the Bluetooth on my laptop and sent me to the factory (I kept the laptop without the Bluetooth and tore up the RMA). They spent over an hour duplicating everything I told them I had done and came to the same conclusion. I suspect they don't get much markup on the Kindle since Amazon sells them directly for the same price. In addition, there has been a huge demand for the new K3 so supplies would logically go to Amazon first before brick and mortar retailers.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhooddaffy View Post
I tried the K3 but ended up taking it back for the reason that it wasn't really left handed capable. I know that sounds silly, but with the 5 way switch on the right it was just totally awkward for a lefty. I loved that it was designed for audiobooks (which is my main book style). any other lefties feel kinda out of the loop here
I know what you mean as a lefty there have been some devices out there that are just not comfortable for lefties. However I don't feel that way with the kindle it is quite comfortable, however I do hold the Kindle with my right hand. If you are not comfortable holding devices with your right hand I do see how this device would feel awkward.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
turn it upside-down
ever use atari lynx?
welcome home

and like other posters said, mouse goes on the right, and most electronics are designed for right handed ergonomics, you should be used to this by now.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Sorry it didn't work out for you...

I know the placement of the 5 way controller is not the most convenient for lefties, but if you think of the percentage of time you're actually using the controller, it's probably an acceptable compromise. Most of the time I'd imagine would be spent actually reading books, in which case the forward / back buttons on the left side of the unit would be more than adequate.

For the times when you want to do a bit of navigating then yes, your other hand would probably need to come into play.

Of the other major brands I can think of, the touch screen ones require two hands, and the Kobo is even worse - you can ONLY turn pages using the controller and it's located on the right side of the unit.
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Hmmm, how are (were) you holding it?

I usually hold it in my left hand and then use my right to move the nub whenever I use it (which isn't much, actually).

I'm not sure there is a comfortable way to use the nub one-handed. I can hold it in my right and move it, but then it's awkward turning pages with the right hand, so then use my left to turn pages
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
... mouse goes on the right, and most electronics are designed for right handed ergonomics, you should be used to this by now.
That's a bit insulting. Left handers are not obligated to use things right handed.

I'm left handed and use a mouse on the left. I write and draw with my left hand so its logical to mouse with my left.

I generally rebel against right hand only products. I buy only real left-handed sissors, ones with the blades "reversed" in addition to the grips.

On the other hand, I find the K3 quite useable. I've long been in the habit of holding books in my right hand (the dumb clumsy one) so that my skilled hand (read: left) is free to take notes, or more often, use a fork while eating (I do a lot of my reading at lunch). I find the 5-way control usable. The big thing that I looked for when deciding my recent purchase of a new reader was that it have page turn button on both sides so that page turning could easily be done regardless of which hand I use.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Another lefty here who has not really noticed the issue. It has the page forward/backward buttons on both sides. I don't find the keyboard all that friendly in any event but the controller is okay. When I first saw the thread, I was actually think that the 'book' type covers are a bit less lefty friendly since you need to provide more pressure on the "binding" site to keep it open whereas on the open side less control is need to keep the two flaps together.

I admit that I use a mouse with my right hand and when I sit as my partner's computer where she has the mouse on the left it throws me for a bit.

Years ago I objected to some standardize test since the answer sheet had to be under the right side of the book meaning a lefty had to move across the open booklet to answer a question (fill in the circle) blocking a view of the next question - losing time.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
I am a righty and I hold the Kindle in my left hand and use my thumb to press either the forward or back button. The palm of my left hand curves slightly and cups the bottom of the Kindle.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Nope. I am totally left handed, and have never noticed any inconvenience
You type with both hands, right? Same with the nook...just using the edge of my right thumb to work the little rocker......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I cannot comment on the K3 for lefties. But I can comment on the Sony Reader PRS-60 for lefties. It's quite nice. You can change how you swipe the screen to change the page and you can have it so it will work well for lefties. In fact, I do have to say, it's really really good that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonster View Post
I am a righty and I hold the Kindle in my left hand and use my thumb to press either the forward or back button. The palm of my left hand curves slightly and cups the bottom of the Kindle.
Go away righty - this is a left-handed discussion!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote