Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #46
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Great videos, and the last one you can see the device pretty reactive. And he didn't have to touch the screen twice for the device to react...I think I made my mind for my first eReader, so much for wifi/3G though...
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #47
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
yeah, it sucks, btw what did you use to resize them?
The mouse pointer!
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #48
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I went to SonyStyle Store yesterday to check out the new reader for myself. I always have suspicion that the new touch screen won't be as good as the older generation. I spent around 30 to 45 minutes playing with the Sony PRS-650, 350, and 900 yesterday and confirmed that is the case.

Although there is no longer "glare" issue and page turn is much faster now; the scribbling capability of the 350 and 650, however, has become less accurate as compared to the 900. I initially thought it was caused by the bigger and fatter tip of the new stylus. However, after trying the 900 stylus on the new screen, it was clear that the Touch screen can't handle small detail scribblings or short stroke. The new IR sensor can't detect sharp tip very well. When using the 900 stylus, sometimes it didn't detect some of the strokes. Using the new "bigger tip" stylus; it detects just fine. If you want to write small letters or create details drawing; you will have problems. If you want to use the new reader as a note taker; I recommend that you check it out for yourself before ordering online. The older 600 or 900 model would perform better as a note taker in my opinion.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me; so no photos to share.

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 09-09-2010 at 05:38 PM.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #49
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
...the scribbling capability of the 350 and 650, however, has become less accurate as compared to the 900. I initially thought it was caused by the bigger and fatter tip of the new stylus. However, after trying the 900 stylus on the new screen, it was clear that the Touch screen can't handle small detail scribblings or short stroke. The new IR sensor can't detect sharp tip very well. When using the 900 stylus, sometimes it didn't detect some of the strokes. Using the new "bigger tip" stylus; it detects just fine. If you want to write small letters or create details drawing; you will have problems. If you want to use the new reader as a note taker; I recommend that you check it out for yourself before ordering online. The older 600 or 900 model would perform better as a note taker in my opinion.
I can see where this would be critical to some people. I mostly use the stylus to select things and to use the onscreen keyboard. My drawing skill isn't that great. So I doubt I will notice many problems with that.

Isn't the PocketBook 603 supposed to use a Wacom pen. That should be really good for such note taking and still have a non-reflective screen. Hmmm, maybe I should have waited for that instead. I like all of the dictionaries they have.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #50
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Although there is no longer "glare" issue and page turn is much faster now; the scribbling capability of the 350 and 650, however, has become less accurate as compared to the 900.
I'll be honest, this feature is so unimportant to me, I hardly played with it. I find the Note Taking (scribbling or highlighting) in the 600 so slow that after the first couple of attempts, I just gave up. It wasn't always slow to actually do the highlighting or scribbling, but to bring up the Notes screen, choose to scribble/highlight, take the note, save the change, exit out of the Notes screen...sheesh, it just wasn't worth it for the kind of notes I was making (typos to fix later).

It's good you shared it, though, for those who do use this feature regularly.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #51
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
I mostly use the stylus to select things and to use the onscreen keyboard. My drawing skill isn't that great. So I doubt I will notice many problems with that.

Isn't the PocketBook 603 supposed to use a Wacom pen. That should be really good for such note taking and still have a non-reflective screen. Hmmm, maybe I should have waited for that instead. I like all of the dictionaries they have.

Etienne66
I agree if you use it just for highlighting and light markup (underlining, basic scribbling) then it works great. Its respond time is much faster than 600 and 900 model and shouldn't be a problem at all.

I've never try the PocketBook 603. However, I used to own an IREX DR800SG which also utilize Wacom pen; I don't think scribbling feature was ever fully exploited.

Last edited by OrcaBlue; 09-09-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #52
OrcaBlue
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'll be honest, this feature is so unimportant to me, I hardly played with it. I find the Note Taking (scribbling or highlighting) in the 600 so slow that after the first couple of attempts, I just gave up. It wasn't always slow to actually do the highlighting or scribbling, but to bring up the Notes screen, choose to scribble/highlight, take the note, save the change, exit out of the Notes screen...sheesh, it just wasn't worth it for the kind of notes I was making (typos to fix later).

It's good you shared it, though, for those who do use this feature regularly.
I think the new Pearl screen looks awesome and definitely a compelling reason to upgrade. I am only slightly disappointed but probably will upgrade eventually.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #53
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm thinking hard!

The only reason I can think of, right now, is the fact that my mother ordered one... I mean, how can I give support for it, if I don't know myself how it works? (she lives 1500km away, so hopping in is not an option )
I really think it's vitally important that you'd be able to give support to your mother...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #54
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I really think it's vitally important that you'd be able to give support to your mother...
I'd say they came to the wrong forum if they actually wanted to be talked *out* of buying a new ebook reader.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #55
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
I'd say they came to the wrong forum if they actually wanted to be talked *out* of buying a new ebook reader.
Ooooops -
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #56
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
You would think so, at first glance. But if you think about it a bit more, what I'm forcing people to do (kind of...) is to think about the negative sides of a reader.

You see, my gadget bump also itched something horrible after the PRS-600 came out. But it was scratched after all the "negative" feedback how the touchscreen layer (which is why I was thinking about it) made the text look "fuzzier" (by lack of a better description).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #57
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
I think the availability of honest, functional, criticism instead of gang ho gadget adulation is what make this forum so great.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #58
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I think the availability of honest, functional, criticism instead of gang ho gadget adulation is what make this forum so great.
Most definitely!

Also stopped me (saved me from) buying the prs-600
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #59
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Most definitely!

Also stopped me (saved me from) buying the prs-600

and from buying 700.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:10 AM   #60
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Nice videos...It looks like the Pearl e-Ink screen works great even if it's touch screen. I didn't pre-ordered the Sony bec I'm wary that it will be like the PRS600 that the screen looks wash out bec of the touch screen feature. The page turn looks fast on the new PRS650 i guess it's comparable to the fast page turn of the K3 too. It's just a bit expensive than the Kindle 3 though. I just bought mine (K3) yesterday. :-\ Also don't want smears on my screen where I'll be reading.

Though I love that Sony can read ePubs and we can buy ebook from different ebookstore and load it on the reader. Also the ability to lend ebooks from the library. I don't think I'll be buying this bec of the price and touch screen. But it's a great ebook reader. I'll recommend PRS 650 to those who love touch screen and doesn't mind the smears/fingerprints.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony