Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
GoodReaderUSB triggers (long) iPad Backups

I just got my iPad and am new to (modern) Apple devices, so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

GoodReaderUSB is wonderful for transferring new books to the iPad, because it's quick and easy, and because it gives access to a multilevel folder structure).

However, when I use it to add books, it triggers a full backup of the iPad. My iPad is mostly empty, but it still takes about 10 minutes!

This doesn't seem to happen when I move books to other eBook applications using iTunes. I'm guessing it would also be okay if I used iTunes for GoodReader, but haven't tried that yet.

Is there any way to move books with GoodReaderUSB and not start a backup?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and info.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Use a tool called back-off to disable auto backups.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

I think also if you hit then little "x" when it says "backing up iPad" it will stop it and continue with the sync......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys.

I'll look for the cancellation X next time I'm connected to iTunes, and if it's still annoying, I'll take a look at the back-off tool.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Thanks guys.

I'll look for the cancellation X next time I'm connected to iTunes, and if it's still annoying, I'll take a look at the back-off tool.
Sounds good... just be sure you do let it run from time to time, you really do want a back up
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
It is a problem generally with apps that produce a large number of small files. Comic apps are an example.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
no.. the "problem" is itunes does not back up individual changes in an app's data store, it simply backs up the whole application again. apps like goodreader or comic apps tend to modify their internal data (marking an issue read, or using a 3rd party app to upload content) that itunes isn't aware of. these apps also tend to deal in large amounts of data (people store 100 issues of a comic or dozens of large pdf files). so each time itunes goes to back up, it has to back up all of goodreader or comiczeal again. you mark another issue read, itunes backs it all up again. it really can't be avoided, itunes is doing what it was designed to, back up your changed content. if you want shorter back up times you store fewer issues of comics or a smaller library in goodreader. or you disable backups entirely and lose out on the protection.

if itunes knew how to manage each app's data (it doesn't) it might be possible to code it to only backed up changed content, but because each app can store its data however it wants, it's forced to back up the whole chunk again. fewer large files or many small ones, doesn't make a difference.

my advice, hook up your iOS device before you go to sleep and hit sync, it will be done when you wake up. i never have a problem waiting for backups.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
no.. the "problem" is itunes does not back up individual changes in an app's data store, it simply backs up the whole application again. apps like goodreader or comic apps tend to modify their internal data (marking an issue read, or using a 3rd party app to upload content) that itunes isn't aware of. these apps also tend to deal in large amounts of data (people store 100 issues of a comic or dozens of large pdf files). so each time itunes goes to back up, it has to back up all of goodreader or comiczeal again. you mark another issue read, itunes backs it all up again. it really can't be avoided, itunes is doing what it was designed to, back up your changed content. if you want shorter back up times you store fewer issues of comics or a smaller library in goodreader. or you disable backups entirely and lose out on the protection.

if itunes knew how to manage each app's data (it doesn't) it might be possible to code it to only backed up changed content, but because each app can store its data however it wants, it's forced to back up the whole chunk again. fewer large files or many small ones, doesn't make a difference.
I don't think this is correct. I think that iTunes 9.2 included changes to improve this and only back up changed files. However the backup takes quite a bit of time per file, so backing up an unpacked archive of 30 files is slower than backing up the archive file itself.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
no. itunes did not make any changes like that. sorry. itunes will still back up the entire application's data store if it has changed.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote