Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Joseph Rhea
Author of Cyberdrome
Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Cool When the human race is threatened by a deadly plague...

When the human race is threatened by a deadly plague, our salvation might be found in a group of
computer-generated virtual worlds populated by digital "people" and mined for new technology that
could save us all.

When rogue programmer Alek Grey learns that his ex-fiancée has become trapped in that system,
unable to be removed from interface without risk of brain death, he knows of only one way to rescue
the woman he still loves.

But, will he risk all of humanity to save her?

CYBERDROME
Story by Joseph Rhea / CGI models & images by David Rhea
Buy: Kindle(US&UK), iPad, Nook, Sony, ePub, and Paperback
Follow: Cyberdrome.org / JosephRhea.com / Facebook Page

Last edited by Joseph Rhea; 08-26-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Joseph Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Shouldn't this be in the "promote your novel" thread?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Joseph Rhea
Author of Cyberdrome
Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Joseph Rhea writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Shouldn't this be in the "promote your novel" thread?
Hi Worldwalker,

This is the "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" Forum, and the ebook version of my novel is on sale for 99 cents right now, so that qualifies as a "deal", right?

Plus, it looks like nearly every post on here is a self promotional thread. I could be wrong (I've only been here 3 months or so), but it does look as though this is where this post belongs.

If others disagree, I will certainly ask the powers-that-be to move it for me. Don't want to be where I don't belong...

Joe

CYBERDROME

Last edited by Joseph Rhea; 08-26-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If it's on sale or there's a special promotion, then this is the place. One must not "abuse" one's Thread, of course: Let the Thread's growth occur through natural discussions and contributions by Members.

The "Shameless" Thread I started, on the other hand, really is for shameless promotions (and "promoters") - that is, authors who don't know when to stop or who are unable to stop..

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Rhea View Post
Hi Worldwalker,
This is the "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" Forum, and the ebook version of my novel is on sale for 99 cents right now, so that qualifies as a "deal", right?

Plus, it looks like nearly every post on here is a self promotional thread. I could be wrong (I've only been here 3 months or so), but it does look as though this is where this post belongs.

If others disagree, I will certainly ask the powers-that-be to move it for me. Don't want to be where I don't belong...

Joe
Joe,

The potential problem with your post is that this appears to be the third thread you have started on the same novel.

There was this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80236

And this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79319

While I give you credit for wanting to promote your work, you want to avoid being a spammer. That won't help your cause in the long run. You might have been better served to announce a price change in one of these existing threads, or by placing the news in the "shameless" thread already discussed.

Good luck to you.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I have to agree with Jinlo. No offense to Joseph Rhea, I'm sure he's a nice person and his book is pretty good.

But it's a little obnoxious to see all the spam on the forum lately. It seems like everyone's decided that MR is the place to shameless plug their self published masterworks and some of them don't want to play nice.

I just get annoyed when new users sign up for MR and only post about their amazingly wonderful book that their mother and their dog loved. And then disappear...until they need another sale.

But, this is another thread for his book. So you all may continue to discuss it. I'll get off my soap box now

I will say that I did enjoy his website and the book is interesting. The modeling and stuff that he has on his page are pretty cool. A good marketing webpage. Thumbs up there!

Last edited by jaxx6166; 05-27-2010 at 09:19 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I will say that I did enjoy his website and the book is interesting. The modeling and stuff that he has on his page are pretty cool. A good marketing webpage. Thumbs up there!
Perhaps that should have been his approach in this case. If he started a thread about his 3D computer models, that might have brought even more interested parties to his site, which would have potentially assisted his book sales. It's possible he could have created a fairly long discussion about the different designs and how it helped his writing. That might have kept his thread alive much longer. I hope everything works out well for him, but as you said, there are more and more authors showing up here just to bump their novels to the top of this forum. I think members are growing weary of that.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I just get annoyed when new users sign up for MR and only post about their amazingly wonderful book that their mother and their dog loved. And then disappear...until they need another sale.
I'm especially annoyed (or actually, amused) by those new users who show up to promote their book and tell painfully transparent lies about it. Like the guy a while back saying his book had "a five star rating" on Amazon-- when that was a single rating-- but the poster (and surely author) himself.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Perhaps they need to split this section, and separate out individual book promotions, store-wide deals, and device deals.

For example, those of us who are happy with our ebook readers *clutches 505 possessively* probably don't pay much attention to posts about sales on ebook readers. People who are looking for new books and authors to try probably aren't so much interested in something like last week's mega-sale by O'Reilly. And people who are hoping to spot a sale at their favorite ebookstore probably don't want to wade through either book announcements or device info, they just want to know if Smashwords has a coupon code.

As it is, with the volume of posts this section gets, not only can it be a problem sorting out the kind of things one is looking for, but there are frequently multiple posts about the same thing because someone is all excited about, say, Sony 600's on Woot, and doesn't see the first (or first and second, or first, second, and third...) posts about it in all the clutter. Splitting the section into subsections for books, stores, and hardware would alleviate that problem. In fact, it might be a good idea to set up a separate section for book announcements, as opposed to discount offers, and make it clear what the difference is.

Also, Joe, you did not mention anything about a 99 cent sale in your first post -- just an announcement of the book.

P.S. You need to take the commas out from around that appositive in your blurb. "Alek Grey" is restrictive.

P.P.S. Is there something wrong with my computer, or is most of the text dark blue on black?

Last edited by Worldwalker; 05-28-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, Joseph:

When you have changes to make in a promotion, go to one of your Threads and post. Then go to your first post and made additional changes to reflect your special promotion, etc. - such as price change or promotion code, for example. If you need the Title of your Thread changed, contact me via PM. Regardless, whenever anyone makes a new post, the Thread will jump to the top of the que. (This is one reason why some authors (those who do not follow the Posting Guidelines make spammy bumps to their Threads. This is a wrong thing to do, and many Members here don't like it. Neither do I).

As you can see from the previous posts, our readers pretty much don't like spammy Threads - no matter how well-intentioned an author may be.

Also, as you can see, our Readers are very encouraging about Members' writings, and wish you only the best.

Please also visit (as I mentioned before), my "Shameless and Endless" Thread: It specifically has a lighthearted tone - one that I've worked hard at maintaining. However, the real success of that Thread belongs to the contributors who post there. The contributors understand the "in joke" of the Thread's purpose and seem to thoroughly enjoy posting and posting and posting about their favorite topic: Their own work.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-28-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Joseph Rhea
Author of Cyberdrome

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

Just to set the record straight, the two previous posts mentioned were nearly 2 months ago (and I might have made a 3rd one last month), so if I am a "spammer" I'm not a very good one.

To be honest, for reasons unknown my book is selling 8-10 copies every single day without any advertising or promotion on my part, so why do I bother "selling" at all? Am I really that needy? I think I'll stick to discussing other people's books from now on, or better yet, get off the internet and get back to writing my next story...

However, before I go, I want to thank Worldwalker for the note on my misuse of commas in my new book blurb above. Obviously I was a Science major back in college instead of an English major, because I had to look up "restrictive appositive" to know what you were talking about. Science fiction seems to be written by scientists who have to learn the fiction half, or fiction writers who have to learn the science half. Obviously I'm the in the first category and will just have to accept that I will always need good editors.

Thanks also to the illustrious Dr. Drib for letting me know that thread titles can actually be changed on MR (if I'd known that, this whole post would have been unnecessary).

Finally, one additional "thank you" to jaxx6166 for the positive words concerning both the book and website. The 3D computer models on the website (and in the 20-page gallery in the book) were all created by my coauthor (and brother) so I will pass on the comments to him!

CYBERDROME

Last edited by Joseph Rhea; 08-26-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Joseph Rhea
Author of Cyberdrome

Arrow Award-winning science fiction techno-thriller now on sale

oops - double post - see below!

Last edited by Joseph Rhea; 08-24-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Joseph Rhea
Author of Cyberdrome

The Kindle version of Cyberdrome just went on sale at Amazon for $2.39 which is 20% off the list price. With Amazon's new royalty plan, I now make 20% less money per sale, but what's bad for me might be good for you. Just thought some of you would want to know.

If this is considered an unwarranted "bump" then I will delete it.
As I said, the news benefits the reader, not the author...
Joe

CYBERDROME

Last edited by Joseph Rhea; 08-26-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Tags
science fiction, thriller