Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Question E.T. Don't Call Home: Removing DXG Wireless Card?

Greetings all,

Hope you are having a fun weekend.
Here's question about dumbing down a DXG, rather than souping it up.

Six months ago, my GF's unit failed (battery not charging), and Amazon just sent her a new DXG. Now I'm thinking of replacing the battery on the broken unit so we'll have a spare reader for PDFs etc. But I think I'd like to disable the wireless ability altogether so the unit doesn't "call home" and create confusion at Amazon about my GF's new unit and broken unit (not that we're doing anything wrong). Since I don't want to accidentally turn on the wireless in the unit, I'm wondering if removing the wireless card would help.

Do any of you have experience with this? If I remove the wireless card, will the Kindle still boot the Amazon firmware? Is it hard remove that card?
Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Wishing you's a beautiful day,

-A
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
- my DXG has its wireless card removed long time ago. No problems observed so far.
- it is not hard to remove a card
- consider getting a special take-apart tool, it can simplify a task
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
When my kindle broke, they said to send back the broken unit or they'll charge me full price for the replacement.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Hi h1uke, hi yifanlu, thanks for your messages.

@h1uke, your advice gave me confidence and information I needed. Thank you.

I removed the wireless card, no probs.

For anyone else on the same track:
- I didn't have a plastic case opening tool, but managed with a guitar pick. There was a Youtube video about replacing the DX battery, that was useful.
- In total, you'll need to remove four screws. Two screws to remove the metal backplate as on the video. Then two screws for the wireless card.

Now that I have a wireless-less spare unit, I might play around with the alternate firmware.

Wishing you's a beautiful week.
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
When my kindle broke, they said to send back the broken unit or they'll charge me full price for the replacement.
they just hoped to reverse engineer your reverse engineering skills
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert