Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #46
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I don't think anyone has mentioned the murder mystery novels of Mary Louise Rinehart {1876-1958}. She is credited as being the source of the phrase "The Butler did it". Her book The Circular Staircase {1907} sold over a million copies. she wrote many others available free in PG and Many Books.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #47
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
H. Beam Piper's _Murder in the Gunroom_ should fit the bill. It's available in a very nice edition here on MobileRead:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122195
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #48
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
in my opinion

agatha christie
lawrence block
erle stanley gardner
mickey spillane (hard-boiled)
jack higgins
ellery queen
dorothy l. sayers
carter dickson
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #49
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
If you like Holmes, you should definitely take a look at EA Poe's detective stories. He invented the genre.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #50
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Rex Stout - Nero Wolfe
In libraries as ebooks

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Rex Stout - Nero Wolfe
In libraries as ebooks

Helen
Hmmm. Interesting, Nero as a post-Sherlock suggestion hadn't even occurred to me, but I don't see why not. Eccentric. Genius. Sidekick. Unusual hobbies. Really the only parts lacking are the disguise and physical activity level.

And certainly fun to read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 AM   #52
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmmm. Interesting, Nero as a post-Sherlock suggestion hadn't even occurred to me, but I don't see why not. Eccentric. Genius. Sidekick. Unusual hobbies. Really the only parts lacking are the disguise and physical activity level.

nero wolfe looks life perry mason - paul drake more than holmes - watson in my opinion
but he is so different char in detective novel world
Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #53
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post
nero wolfe looks life perry mason - paul drake more than holmes - watson in my opinion
but he is so different char in detective novel world
I can see why you'd think that, but Nero Wolfe is a true eccentric, and Perry Mason really isn't. OTOH, Archie Goodwin and Paul Drake are both far more competent assistants than Watson.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #54
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
I can see why you'd think that, but Nero Wolfe is a true eccentric, and Perry Mason really isn't. OTOH, Archie Goodwin and Paul Drake are both far more competent assistants than Watson.
you are right
paul drake is more talented than watson in my opinion
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Plus, Rex Stout has co-authored a wonderful novel featuring Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin, Sherlock Holmes, and Dr. Watson. It's known by various titles, including "A Study in Terror" and "Sherlock Holmes verses Jack the Ripper."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #56
coderserdar
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Plus, Rex Stout has co-authored a wonderful novel featuring Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin, Sherlock Holmes, and Dr. Watson. It's known by various titles, including "A Study in Terror" and "Sherlock Holmes verses Jack the Ripper."
detective versus books are so good
i read about

sherlock holmes vs. arsene lupen
hercule poirot vs. giraud etc...

so funny books
Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #57
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Randall Garrett published a great science-fiction set of science-fantasy detective works centering on Lord Darcy. Here's the description of them from The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction:

"His most impressive solo work is the Lord Darcy series of SCIENCE-FANTASY detective stories first published in various magazines (chiefly ANALOG) and anthologies from 1964 to 1979, and assembled in Too Many Magicians (August-November 1966 ANALOG; 1967), Murder and Magic (coll of linked stories 1979) and Lord Darcy Investigates (coll of linked stories 1981), with all three volumes assembled as Lord Darcy: A 3-in-1 Volume (omni 1983). The stories deal with the exploits of the detective Lord Darcy and his Watsonesque "forensic sorcerer" (> SHERLOCK HOLMES) in an ALTERNATE COSMOS where MAGIC, intermittently though not wholly consistently rationalized in terms of PSI POWERS, works according to Frazerian laws whose implications are being gradually unravelled by the scientific method. Several of these stories allude playfully to classic crime fiction by Agatha CHRISTIE, Dorothy L Sayers (1893-1957), Rex STOUT and others. The series as a whole is well remembered and received a retrospective SIDEWISE AWARD in 1999; earlier, it had been continued in SHARECROP novels by Michael KURLAND."
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #58
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
The Forensic Detective !

I had a quick skim through the thread, and don't think anyone's mentioned the, to my mind, brilliant, Thorndyke !
If you liked Holmes, in my opinion you'll love Thorndyke.

Available in 7 newly Harry-prepared omnibus volumes here on MR library, a real treat - and beautifully presented.

Thanks Harry, excellent job, and more people should definitely discover this slueth. Fascinating, and I think easily the equal of Holmes.

Personally, I prefer him, much more believable in a strange way !

Sort of CSI hits Victorian England..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #59
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
There is absolutely no way that can go wrong. *adds to must-read-soon-list*
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #60
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I had a quick skim through the thread, and don't think anyone's mentioned the, to my mind, brilliant, Thorndyke !
If you liked Holmes, in my opinion you'll love Thorndyke.

Available in 7 newly Harry-prepared omnibus volumes here on MR library, a real treat - and beautifully presented.

Thanks Harry, excellent job, and more people should definitely discover this slueth. Fascinating, and I think easily the equal of Holmes.

Personally, I prefer him, much more believable in a strange way !

Thanks for the recommendation! Just downloaded and added to Calibre and to my BooksToRead category on my Kindle.

Here's the link to them (in PRC format.)