Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #21886
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
...(A young woman does NOT weigh 5.5kg! 55kg, yes!)....

That depends on how young the young woman is, doesn't it?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #21887
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Now: Grantville Gazette #58 edited by Paula Goodlett.
An enjoyable dose of the minutiae of the 1632 universe.

Next up: Nobody's Home by Tim Powers. Another from the Humble Bunde
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #21888
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Nobody's Home by Tim Powers. Another from the Humble Bunde
Which was a good fantasy novelette, which made me want to read more of the series.

Next up: Lightspeed Magazine for March 2015.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #21889
AstoundingBruce
Enthusiast
AstoundingBruce is on a distinguished road

Device: NextBook
How to Build Self-Discipline, Resist Temptations and Reach Your Long-Term Goals by Martin Meadows. You can read my review spammy link deleted by moderator.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-04-2015 at 10:27 AM.
AstoundingBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #21890
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
No, if you want people to read your review, you will post it here. We will not allow this site to be used by spammers whose sole goal is to attempt to direct traffic to their own site. Do it again and you'll be banned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 PM   #21891
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up is Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian, book 1 of the Aubrey-Maturin series. I have seen and enjoyed the movie version of The Far Side of the World and have wanted to try this for a long time.
I finally finished this tonight while waiting for my daughter's class to finish. I am not sure if it is my expectations that were wrong or just that it isn't my style of book, but this wasn't nearly as good as I was hoping for. There are a lot of positive reviews here and other places, so maybe I will continue with book 2, but I am not in a hurry to do that at this point.

Next up is Timeline by Michael Crichton which was nominated for the March Book Club (this is the last day to vote...) and arrived at my library much faster than I was expecting. Might as well give it a whirl.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:15 AM   #21892
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up is Timeline by Michael Crichton which was nominated for the March Book Club (this is the last day to vote...) and arrived at my library much faster than I was expecting. Might as well give it a whirl.
I really enjoyed 'Timeline,' both the book and the movie. But then, almost everything Crichton writes does it for me!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #21893
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I read Timeline and liked it. Didn't know there was a movie.

Crichton was always hit-and-miss with me...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #21894
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Still reading West with the Night on my Kindle, but meanwhile finished the latest Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book by Laurie King: Dreaming Spies.
What a wonderful book. I really, really enjoyed this re-read of West with the Night, by Beryl Markham. A great book, wonderfully descriptive and compelling, about East Africa in the time from WWI to WWII. And about flying in the days when a compass was nearly your only instrument. Markham has a great talent for going off on a tangent without losing track of where the story is going and without letting you mind, or even really notice. If you've never had a chance to read this book, I highly recommend it.

Next up, the 5th book in the Palladin series from Elizabeth Moon, Crown of Renewal. This is a joint audio and ebook read, so I'll likely add in another ebook to go with it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #21895
BooksAreAwsome
Live.Laugh.Love
BooksAreAwsome began at the beginning.

Device: none
GOT

Reading the GoT series LOVE IT!
BooksAreAwsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:54 AM   #21896
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Lightspeed Magazine for March 2015.
Which was OK. I wasn't fond of a couple of stories, and I'd previously read the novella. But there was another excellent story.

Next up: Apocalypse Ocean by Tobias Buckell
Old 03-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #21897
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'm just a little over 1/2 way through reading Death Comes to Pemberley and have slipped it onto my back burner so I can begin reading, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro! So far so good at 13%!
I'd gotten 70% through Never Let Me Go when I realized that Dreaming Spies (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #13) by Laurie R. King had been released and so I got the ebook and began reading it.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #21898
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'd gotten 70% through Never Let Me Go when I realized that Dreaming Spies (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes #13) by Laurie R. King had been released and so I got the ebook and began reading it.

Excellent addition to the Russell/Holmes oeuvre. I really liked this one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #21899
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Excellent addition to the Russell/Holmes oeuvre. I really liked this one.
Would skipping The Pirate King affect future story lines? The ratings on that one weren't fantastic.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #21900
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, if there's anything that doing an emergency double overnight stay in hospital should have taught me, it's to make sure that whatever device I carry in with me has a reasonably full stock of "comfort-read" old favourite books as well as the new stuff to try out.

Unfortunately, this is not a lesson I grasped in time to load up the BlackBerry PlayBook properly (at least I had a couple of games on it?) but I did have one nice thing to re-read, Lois McMaster Bujold's excellent The Curse of Chalion, which albeit one of my long-time favourites, wasn't quite what I was in the mood for.

But still, it was a nice revisitation of an interesting worldbuilding setting loosely based on the Spanish Reconquista and a highly entertaining story in its own right and I'm now kind of divided as to whether or not to follow up with a re-read of Paladin of Souls, which I only have in hardcover.

Anyway, I think I'll spend some time properly digging through my archives and packing the BB with more reading selection, just in case I end up having to make a return trip.

Another nostalgia re-read, thankfully done sometime before, because I wouldn't have liked to have had the time to read all 3 books in it while laid up with infection awaiting surgery, was the Diana Wynne Jones' Land of Ingary Trilogy, comprising Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, and The House of Many Ways, which I got as a dirt-cheap $1.99 Kobo special from HarperCollins late last year.

HMC and CITA are long-time childhood nostalgia favourites (CITA moreso than HMC for reasons I'm not quite sure about; maybe the non-primarily-Euro-derived fantasy setting?) and were a delight as always.

HOMW, which I'd only read once prior when buying it new when it came out, seemed a bit lacking in comparison to the other two.

I don't know whether it's nostalgia goggles for the initial books, or just that HOMW suffers a quality dip due to having been written later in DWJ's life when a deterioration in the writing facilities often takes place, but it did seem that some of the intercharacter drama between Charmian and Peter was overly contrived and drawn out to keep them at odds for plot purposes long past the point where it would have been reasonable for them to start working less at cross-purposes.

And Peter seems to carry the Idiot Ball a lot when it'll drive Charmian forward through the plot, even if a sort-of reason for this is kind of given in his back story.

Aside from that, it was nice to see a follow-up to favourite old characters and see a bit more of the world that the books take place in, so while I don't think I'll be re-reading this one very much compared to the other two, it was still worth my time to try again

As always, very high recommendations for 3 out of the 4 titles above, especially if you're looking for imaginative, inventive, and flat-out delightful fantasy.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote