Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #286
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That's a concern. It wouldn't surprise me if the Touch and Mini keep the same interface, but the Glo and Aura HD change. But, a Kobo person I trust has explicitly stated the Aura HD uses the same firmware as the other devices. I would say what is happening is that they still share a lot of the same code. All the backend is the same, it is just how they interface is displayed that has changed for the Aura HD. There is a fair chance that both versions are in the firmware and which one is used is triggered by a check somewhere.

In fact, when I asked for info to add the Aura HD to the calibre driver, I was hoping to find something in the config files to turn on the interface. If it was there, it wasn't obvious. But, I did ask for files I knew abouit. Maybe there is a new file that needs to be added. Maybe a full listing of the .kobo directory and its children would tell us something. Without the images and kepub directories.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #287
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I wasn't planning on buying a new reader but I must admit to being tempted. It would be nice to have proper shelves manageable via Calibre again instead of the Kindle Collections Manager work around. Before I do buy I'd like to know what colours are available in the ultra slim sleep cover. Has anyone found any information? I've only seen the black mentioned whereas I'm hoping for a purple cover and an ivory reader.
Very sober, just white, black and brown http://www.kobo.com/koboauraHD
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #288
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
My Kobo Touch is on the way out I'm hanging to buy a new ereader and I love Kobo. I can easily buy a Kobo Glo now or should I possibly hold out for the Aura here in Aus? I'm not really a tech person so the HD part is neither here or there for me.

I mean my mobile phone died the other week and I have been dragging myself around town looking for a basic phone that just rings, txt and takes a pic. I'm not interested in owning a *smart* phone.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #289
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I mean my mobile phone died the other week and I have been dragging myself around town looking for a basic phone that just rings, txt and takes a pic. I'm not interested in owning a *smart* phone.
Hallelujah ... sorry to a bit here but I'm glad I'm not the only one not interested in a smart-phone. No offense to anyone who does have/want one, heck I bought my Mum one last year but I just have no interest, a phone is for making/receiving call esp. emergency ones when 'on the road' to me and nowt else.

As for the reader, I don't regret my Glo for a single minute. Go by what best 'suits' your needs. I have pre-ordered an Aura HD simply because it ticked a few different boxes, bigger screen (even though by specs not by much), higher resolution, new interface and lastly (the thing that had me finally pushing that button) the way it handles PDF files.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #290
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Very sober, just white, black and brown http://www.kobo.com/koboauraHD
Thanks for the info. I'm very disappointed though, fancy only making the cover in the same colours as the reader … boring colours at that. I suppose I'll have to wait and hope that Sony's 2013 reader is a good one before escaping from Amazon as I doubt there will be the cheap colourful 3rd party ultra slim cases available for the Aura like there are for the Paperwhite.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #291
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
You have to remember that while they give long reviews, doing a very good job at showing what the ereader look like, the Goodereader guys are idiots and their videos are to be watched with the sound OFF.
And why on earth can't they when doing a side-by-side comparison use the same ebook? I think in the Glo vs Aura video they had different public domain titles opened. One of their other reviews I watched they commented on Kobo and spacing between paragraphs compared to the kindle, two different ebooks from two different sources. Turkeys!!!

I noticed androidcentral has a review of the arc when it came out and then another when jb was released on it. Be nice if major firmware updates were reviewed on YouTube. The device has changed since it was released so some of those early reviews are very outdated.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #292
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
And why on earth can't they when doing a side-by-side comparison use the same ebook? I think in the Glo vs Aura video they had different public domain titles opened. One of their other reviews I watched they commented on Kobo and spacing between paragraphs compared to the kindle, two different ebooks from two different sources. Turkeys!!!
The question I take from the discussion of this "review" is:
Do they spread this misinformation on purpose?
or
Are they just willfully stupid?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #293
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo firmware has two different reader applications. One is used for the kepubs purchased from Kobo. The other is used for sideloaded books. This is based on Adobe Reader (or whatever they want to call it). As others have said, both allow customisation of the viewer but respect the CSS in the books. That I think is the correct thing to do.

I think you have it right with this.
Must be a different definition of "sideload." I thought sideloading was adding a book via the usb port. Adding a book via the wireless interface is the other method.
Could it be Kobo calls any book NOT purchased from their store, no matter the way it is added, sideloaded?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #294
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My use of the word sideload includes loading of any book that is not a result of a sync with the Kobo servers--syncs through the Kobo desktop sync or Kobo WiFi sync. Adobe ADE books are sideloaded, calibre books transferred over USB--yup, sideloaded,copy and paste are sideloaded, books downloaded using the Kobo browser and dropbox or Calibre server ditto.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #295
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
Must be a different definition of "sideload." I thought sideloading was adding a book via the usb port. Adding a book via the wireless interface is the other method.
Could it be Kobo calls any book NOT purchased from their store, no matter the way it is added, sideloaded?
I forgot that you can download books via the browser. The only times I have done this was simply to prove it would work.

Taming's definition works for me. If it didn't comes from the Kobo server, directly via WiFi or via the desktop app, it is sideloaded. The books from Kobo will be kepubs and handled by that reader application. The sideloaded will normally be handled by the ADE based reader.

But, it is possible to sideload an epub and have it treated as a kepub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #296
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
And why on earth can't they when doing a side-by-side comparison use the same ebook? I think in the Glo vs Aura video they had different public domain titles opened.
Exactly my thought.
Especially since, in that particular case, they used two books very different in size (2000 pages vs 1000 for their pocket paper versions).
When they ranted about the Glo being slower than the Aura at opening the damn book and changing font settings, I just wanted to scream and kick them in the neck for being dumbasses.
That, or they're purposedly trying to make the Aura look good, which is equally pathetic.

I'm not interested in the Aura itself anyway, it's too big and heavy for carrying it around conveniently, but it's really a shame we didn't get the same lighting on the Glo. It seems so smooth, and brightness going very much lower too.
Also, would really really be a shame if we don't get the new home screen on the Glo at some point.

Let's hope it will come in due time, as well as a proper night mode.
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #297
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When viewing regular .epub eBooks, does the Aura HD display hyphens? I'm interested to know if the Aura HD is using a recent version of the Reader Mobile SDK or on older one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #298
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
On the subject of firmware / desktop versions, I would suspect the 2.5 update that rolled out last week was to prepare things for Aura ahead of launch.

I am fairly sure the codebase between Touch, mini, Glo, and Aura is shared. It is possible there are a couple of changes for Aura, but I could not really say (as I don't actually know)

For interested, the version from a friend's Aura is: "2.5.0 (005513d0d1, 4/9/13)"

Last edited by Sharkus; 04-22-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #299
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When viewing regular .epub eBooks, does the Aura HD display hyphens? I'm interested to know if the Aura HD is using a recent version of the Reader Mobile SDK or on older one.
I was looking at an Aura at Chapters on Sunday. Tried a couple of epubs, homebrewed .kepub.epub and a PDF file from an SD card. Hyphenation looked the same as on my Glo. I would have preferred not having 2 security devices attached to the Aura as they made it rather hard to tell the weight and balance.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #300
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@JSWolf,

Just to add a bit of anecdotal observation to your hyphenation question... On the Kobo Glo, at my preferred font-size, I find there is rarely more than one word per screenfull which is soft-hyphenated. There are many screens which don't have any.

I took a quick peek at the English hyphenation dictionary (latest fw 2.5) and noticed these two lines at the top of the file
Code:
LEFTHYPHENMIN 5
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 5
I'm assuming this explains why I see relatively few soft-hyphens. (Maybe if my reading preference was for more 'literary works' with big words I'd see more )
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote