Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #91
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
First - the on-topic bit. Kobo does have a strange idea about what should be user changeable. This is one that has (moderately) annoyed me for a while. The other oddity is not having a low battery warning - but I think I've mentioned this before My theory is that the KT (at least) has very limited processing ability for some reason, and the facility to change things would put too much strain on the system. This is what stops me putting the devs in the category of "stupid" - they know the limitations of the system they are working with. I can't quite remember where we got to with an earlier thread of mine, but it did seem that some hardware builds had some fairly significant differences, and it might be that they have to work to that so they don't end up with a load of unhappy owners following an update that bricks an entire batch (again!)

Now, the off-topic: what do alarms and Kobos have to do with each other, Mrs_Often? I have to agree with some others here - you may have eaten some bad cheese (or sniffed some dodgy tulips, or been hit on the head with a clog/windmill). Unless, of course, your new Glo has an alarm built in?

Dutch food is far better than Belgian: I had the most wonderful Dutch smorgasbord (I can't remember what it was actually called) in Utrecht last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Eloquent - I like it! Listening to that bloody song took me back to my childhood. My dad seemed to have a thing about <strike>Holland</strike> the Netherlands, and spent what seemed to be years singing "Tiptoe through the Tulips" (in falsetto), "Tulips from Amsterdam"[www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkqCBViVB8a] (with the Max Bygraves accent), and "A Mouse lived in a Windmill"[www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj40JtpqI0U]. I don't know how to do the neat embedding trick above, so follow the links at your own peril!!!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #92
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Now, the off-topic: what do alarms and Kobos have to do with each other, Mrs_Often? I have to agree with some others here - you may have eaten some bad cheese (or sniffed some dodgy tulips, or been hit on the head with a clog/windmill). Unless, of course, your new Glo has an alarm built in?
Ah yes of course it does! You've solved the battery mystery! Thanks

Quote:
Dutch food is far better than Belgian: I had the most wonderful Dutch smorgasbord (I can't remember what it was actually called) in Utrecht last year!
Smor...WHAT? You've eaten what?? Uh sorry, that's not Dutch, whatever it is.

I think you might mean the Swedish smögåsbord... Nothing to do with the Netherlands or Utrecht, sorry...

Quote:
Eloquent - I like it!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #93
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

[QUOTE=Mrs_Often;2455511]Ah yes of course it does! You've solved the battery mystery! Thanks

Well, that was a surprise! Glad to be of assistance

Quote:

I think you might mean the Swedish smögåsbord... Nothing to do with the Netherlands or Utrecht, sorry..."
I know that Smörgåsbord is Swedish, but that is how the waitress in Utrecht described it. It was a collation of lovely foods such as meatballs, prawns, cheese, herring, bread, etc. Similar to, but different from, the Swedish version, and absolutely wonderful - in fact, we had it two successive nights!

Now I'm going to watch the F1 qualifying - the computer goes off for the next hour!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #94
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know that Smörgåsbord is Swedish, but that is how the waitress in Utrecht described it. It was a collation of lovely foods such as meatballs, prawns, cheese, herring, bread, etc. Similar to, but different from, the Swedish version, and absolutely wonderful - in fact, we had it two successive nights!
Do you mean roggebrood, perhaps?

Quote:
Now I'm going to watch the F1 qualifying - the computer goes off for the next hour!
Have fun!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #95
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Do you mean roggebrood, perhaps?
No - I think it was something with "plankje" in the name, but the café's website doesn't have it now: obviously a summer thing. Not to worry - all I know is that all the food we had in the Netherlands was wonderful!

Quote:
Have fun!
A bit of anti-climax - it was raining so heavily that the qualifying was cancelled until tomorrow. I now have to get up at 5am to see it!
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #96
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
No - I think it was something with "plankje" in the name, but the café's website doesn't have it now: obviously a summer thing. Not to worry - all I know is that all the food we had in the Netherlands was wonderful!
I'm curious now! Plankje is just a small "board" of some kind, like a cheese board. Oh well. Glad the food was wonderful

Quote:
A bit of anti-climax - it was raining so heavily that the qualifying was cancelled until tomorrow. I now have to get up at 5am to see it!
OR just miss it and fiddle with your KT's locale settings [To get back on topic ]
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #97
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
I'm curious now! Plankje is just a small "board" of some kind, like a cheese board. Oh well. Glad the food was wonderful
Yes, it came on a "plank" - that's how I remembered that bit of the name

OR just miss it and fiddle with your KT's locale settings [To get back on topic ][/QUOTE]

Or do both - if I'm up at 5.00 I have a lot of day to use up!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #98
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Ah yes of course it does! You've solved the battery mystery! Thanks

I think you might mean the Swedish smögåsbord... Nothing to do with the Netherlands or Utrecht, sorry...

Not sure about the usage in Europe but in Canada, you can find almost any foods served buffet style described as a smörgåsbord (though without the diacriticals ).

As one quote about the English language goes:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

Oddly, a couple of online translators translated roggebrood to rye bread. Is that a light rye, dark rye, Russian rye or Winnipeg rye?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-16-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Just for the heck of it...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #99
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure about the usage in Europe but in Canada, you can find almost any foods served buffet style described as a smörgåsbord (though without the diacriticals ).
I think that's a reasonable comment. I don't think it is quite as common here in Europe as perhaps in the US, and I suspect it is one of those words you would only ever see written, not heard spoken (perhaps because no-one except a Nordic speaker knows how to pronounce it!)

Quote:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
I love that quote! It always seems to me that countries that try to control their language (such as the French) have a very odd world-view. Language is for communication, and, no matter how irritating some of its uses are, it does, and indeed should, evolve. If there is a better word in a different language, why not use it? As an aside, does the French Academy have a problem with "wiki"? - if I recall, it is an Hawaiian word. (Just in case this comes across as anti-French, it isn't - I'd happily move there tomorrow. However, the desire of some of their elite to keep the language "pure" just seems very odd.)[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Oddly, a couple of online translators translated roggebrood to rye bread. Is that a light rye, dark rye, Russian rye or Winnipeg rye?
I'm not sure of the differences there, but what I know as rye bread from my wife's preferences (being from the European mainland herself) is something the colour of the Space Shuttle's ablative tiles, the texture and smell of lino, and the taste of the mash left over from brewing. It takes about a month to chew a mouthful, and you really ought to be able to blow bubbles with it.

I'm not a fan.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #100
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Perfectly on topic. It's just in code.

Quote:
How extremely weird! I'd actually never heard of it before today...

Quote:

Quote:
I love that quote! It always seems to me that countries that try to control their language (such as the French) have a very odd world-view. Language is for communication, and, no matter how irritating some of its uses are, it does, and indeed should, evolve. If there is a better word in a different language, why not use it?
Well, sure, but... as per the above, it doesn't just seem like they're taking a word from another language because it's better, it seems like they're taking a random fun sounding word from another language and sticking a completely different meaning to it. Now that's just ridiculous.

Quote:
Well, that depends... what's rye bread?

Quote:
I'm not sure of the differences there, but what I know as rye bread from my wife's preferences (being from the European mainland herself) is something the colour of the Space Shuttle's ablative tiles, the texture and smell of lino, and the taste of the mash left over from brewing. It takes about a month to chew a mouthful, and you really ought to be able to blow bubbles with it.

I hate it too!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #101
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Well, sure, but... as per the above, it doesn't just seem like they're taking a word from another language because it's better, it seems like they're taking a random fun sounding word from another language and sticking a completely different meaning to it. Now that's just ridiculous.
Not really - it was the same idea of a selection of food, mainly cold except for the meatball in a small bun, only the "bord" became a "plankje". However, as it notes on wikipedia, English probably has attacked the word and dragged it screaming into the wrong cell because it tends to be used to mean a wide selection of vaguely related items, rather than meaning a buffet (which of course, isn't an English word anyway!!)

This is, of course, on topic, because Kobos have a smorgasbord of problems
Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #102
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:

I hate it too!
Thangyouvermuch! I'm here all weekend.

Oh dear, I've just noticed the YouTube link inserter on the toolbar - I could have embedded those lovely videos in my earlier post after all! You wouldn't have been laughing then ...

Last edited by Peakcrew; 03-16-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #103
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #104
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Not to mention that the devices are basically plankjes.

I guess some people that plankjed their Kobos!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #105
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'd have to disagree with you. Taking a look at wikipedia and it's discussion of smorgasbord, it fits pretty well with the common North American use of the word. It was not a matter of borrowing a random funny sounding word, it was a matter of borrowing a funny sounding word that fit the need.

I would also mention that we need to remember that in North America while the majority might be English speaking outside their home, immigrants from many countries make up our societies so often words have transferred from other languages into English without the need for trips down a back alley -- a bit of arm twisting perhaps but nothing more.

Being Canadian, I must also admit that I find the efforts of the province of Quebec to defend the purity of the French language to be a source of amusement when compared to the laissez faire attitude of the rest of Canada towards the English language. Admittedly, living in an area where many shops don't bother with signs in English or French tends to encourage that amusement.

Regards,
David

Hhhmmmm.... perhaps we should end this discussion here as I can't see any way to relate this discussion to the topic of this thread.

DB
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote