Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do like proper cover art. So I replace the generic garbage with a real cover image. ePub makes it easy to do this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #32
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
To me, good cover art is everything. Because if the book cover doesn't grab them, then they're unlikely to buy your book. I saw that with the very first version of Oort Perimeter. I still see it even now when I put the old book up next to the new one and watch how the new one flies out the door while the old sits around and collects dust.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #33
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Regarding fiction, I'm not interested in the cover art because the art is the product of someone other than the author, and therefore irrelevant to the content.

That said, I enjoy seeing reproductions of covers from past eras. I just wouldn't use it to influence my decision to read the book.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #34
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I like to see nice cover art when I'm browsing for a book to buy. However, I don't care one way or the other once it's on my eReader as long as it's consistant. It would drive me nuts to have good covers for some and not for others.

For this reason, I have been avoiding putting my library on Calibre. I anticipate the cover art becoming an issue for me with my obsessive and perfectionist personality.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #35
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm a visual person, so I really like cover art. I'm not happy with the cover for my new book (see signature) - a weak effort from me. I'll probably have a go at designing a new cover in the next few weeks. The only problem is that what I have in mind is something I would have to draw freehand and then photograph. I know it would take me hours, and at this stage I've made a grand total of $6.78 from the book before I added the free code. I know I'd be spending my time better if I was writing my adult books, which is want I want to concentrate on now.

On the question of cover art, though, there was a radio program here is Australia not too long ago where they judged books by their covers - i.e. They had a panel that hadn't read the books, but discussed them based solely on their covers.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #36
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I like to see nice cover art when I'm browsing for a book to buy. However, I don't care one way or the other once it's on my eReader as long as it's consistant. It would drive me nuts to have good covers for some and not for others.

For this reason, I have been avoiding putting my library on Calibre. I anticipate the cover art becoming an issue for me with my obsessive and perfectionist personality.
That's one of the reasons I like Calibre - if the book doesn't come with a good cover you can download it. I just bought the new Stephen King and it came with a black and white cover with only King's name and book title. In Calibre I went into edit metadata, then fetch metadata from server, then download cover and I now have the same cover as the hard cover version.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #37
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
On the question of cover art, though, there was a radio program here is Australia not too long ago where they judged books by their covers - i.e. They had a panel that hadn't read the books, but discussed them based solely on their covers.
This sounds really fun and interesting! Maybe we could start something like this here on the forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
That's one of the reasons I like Calibre - if the book doesn't come with a good cover you can download it.
This is good news. I may just get attached to Calibre after all.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #38
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Obliquely related -- I hate most Baen covers. I didn't realize how good Baen books were because I was turned off by their covers for so long. Most of them remind me of pulp covers from the 50's -- not something I'm all the interested in reading.

But yeah -- it does annoy me to see generic place holders for my ebooks when they don't have a cover.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #39
pops1959
pops1959 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Cover art for me is very important. A large portion of what I enjoy reading is old pulp detective novels, and the covers that they had were quite artistic in their own way and I enjoy looking at them.
pops1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #40
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's not vital to me - but it's desirable enough for me to actually make a cover if I can't find one. Just finished a cover for Craphound by Cory Doctorow.

It's not great, but I prefer it to a blank green cover.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #41
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
When sorting through the MANY MANY free promotional books that come up, I definitely judge them on their covers. If someone recommended a book to me, I wouldn't judge it on its cover.

And for all you indie authors out there: I urge you to spend some money for a graphic designer to make a nice cover for you. I guess it's the publisher's responsibility, but if they do a poor job, can you supply your own?

As for my Calibre library, I definitely dislike having no cover and I try to download them from within Calibre. But if Calibre comes up with nothing, or something ugly, it never occurred to me to go out (on Google) and find my own. I don't think I should be spending that much time on it.

And as much as I love Sony's ability to set your own sleep state image, I am a bit jealous of Kobo's ability to display that current cover as the sleep state image.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #42
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Although cover art will grab my attention, it's not what will make me buy the book. I'll first look at the author, then read the first few pages. If those two don't pass, I won't buy the book. If the cover art is poor, chances are I might overlook the book.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #43
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

And as much as I love Sony's ability to set your own sleep state image, I am a bit jealous of Kobo's ability to display that current cover as the sleep state image.

eP
Sonys have that "ability"; it's just not automatic. If you're reading one book at a time, and taking more than a day or two to do so (otherwise it'd be kind of pointless to bother), you can set the thumbnail of your current book as your sleep state image.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #44
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
But the thumbnail doesn't show up in the images folder. how do I get it there?
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #45
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I thought Calibre automatically adds a copy into the images folder? It may be that that was a perceived "glitch" that they fixed.

Even though the 650 displays rather crude, grainy b/w thumbnails, I prefer a distinctive cover for each item, with as few generic covers as possible.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 12-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote