Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
When will the price drop?

A book that I'm interested in recently came out in MMPB right before the release of the next hardcover in the series. It's been several weeks and the ebook price is still the same and hasn't dropped to reflect the MMPB. I've completely given up on reasonable prices from the agency cartel and am no longer purchasing *any* book from them.

BTW, the ebook is Naamah's Kiss which is selling for $12.99 even though the MMPB is selling at $7.99 (and I would be able to pick up for considerably less with coupons at a local chain bookstore.)

I'll keep the book on my wishlist but I will not pay $7.99 for it much less $12.99.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to "General Discussion" forum. This really doesn't qualify as "News".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The paperback publisher and the hardback publisher are different entities. The paperback publisher seems not to have put out an ebook version yet.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The paperback publisher and the hardback publisher are different entities. The paperback publisher seems not to have put out an ebook version yet.
It doesn't matter. The ebook publisher should match the lowest available rate to buy the book.

Faced with a choice to buy a $12.99 ebook or a $7.99 pbook, if I absolutely had to buy the book, I'd go for the pbook. So, not only have I not bought the ebook, the ebook publisher has permanently lost a sale to a rival publisher. What's better, $7.99 or $0??

Of course, in reality I have such reading backlog, that I won't buy the book at all. And the OP mentioned it was the first in a series, so now I'm not buying the rest of the series either.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The HC, MMPB and eBook are all from the same publisher, Grand Central (aka Hatchette).

The paperback of that book just came out (before a few weeks ago it was $12.99 vs the HC price).

Either the publisher is screwing around trying to see if ebook readers will still pay the higher price or they're just incompetent about getting price changes done when the mmpb is released is the question. Back in the earlier days of ebooks this "forgetting" to lower the ebook price was quite common and would usually only get changed when the publisher was called on it. Hatchette and Macmillan especially seemed to have this problem in the past.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
It doesn't matter. The ebook publisher should match the lowest available rate to buy the book.
I think that would be very confusing. How would you know if you buy an ebook of the hardcover version or the paperback version? The texts will not be identical since error will be fixed in the paperback edition.

I would be very unhappy with buying the hardcover ebook version when the paperback is out event if the price for the hardcover ebook was the same or lower than the paperback book.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The HC, MMPB and eBook are all from the same publisher, Grand Central (aka Hatchette).
Hatchette is the owner. The hardback is published by Orion Publishing Group. And Orion Publishing Group and Grand Central might be separate entities that works independently of each other.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Hatchette is the owner. The hardback is published by Orion Publishing Group. And Orion Publishing Group and Grand Central might be separate entities that works independently of each other.
Orion is the UK publisher. Grand Central publish all editions in the US.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To me this is news since one of the so-called benefits to Agency pricing was supposed to be a drop in the ebook price when the MMPB came out. This particular book has the same publisher for both versions and the only excuses are incompetency and/or greed.

Like I said in the original post, I'm done with the Agency publishers. If I really want to read one of their books I'll find it second hand or check it out of the library (that won't happen very often because my local library is suffering major budget cuts and hasn't been acquiring many new titles.)
Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Are her other novels in MMPB form also $7.99? I noticed on the iBooks site her older books were $7.99 in iBooks format. ($12.99 for the latest, just like Amazon)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Pretty much the older ebooks are the same as the MMPB but IMO that is still high since they are infected with DRM and I can walk into Borders with coupons or Books a Million with just my membership card and get the MMPB for less than retail. But I would pay MMPB price if I really wanted the ebook and could easily liberate it. As it is I have a huge backlog and will be catching up on that before I buy any new books.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Orion is the UK publisher. Grand Central publish all editions in the US.
Sorry, I must have looked at the UK Amazon site by mistake.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
My primary fear about the agency model was that the promise that we would see lower prices was false. I hoped I would be wrong, but it's (not all that surprisingly) looking like my fear was well founded. The publishers are probably quiet happy that we'll buy the paperback because it's cheaper, as it props their business model up and keeps the status quo, which seems to be what they really want. Maybe I'm paranoid, but that's how it looks to me.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote