Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 06:32 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Halk most of my books have been sourced from Fictionwise;
but I have now reluctantly reduced the frequency of purchases due to "geographical restriction" (see threads elsewhere)....which means that I requested and received a club-wise membership refund.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #17
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Halk most of my books have been sourced from Fictionwise;
but I have now reluctantly reduced the frequency of purchases due to "geographical restriction" (see threads elsewhere)....which means that I requested and received a club-wise membership refund.
Yep. I hope now that electronic books are apparently going mainstream then they'll eventually get rid of the geographic restrictions. I have an address in the US, and a credit card registered there, so I can skip the geographic restrictions. UK retail price seems to be the same as US retail price... except at 1.65$ to the pound it's much more economical to buy in dollars.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's my opinion that the "system" at fictionwise is way way too complicated and they are driving potential customers away.

I've bought a couple of books there and even considered membership, but it's all like smoke and mirrors and con men in the approach (particularly when the prices/rebates/percentages/typeofpayment change as I watch) which makes me more than a little bit leery of using them.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #19
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's my opinion that the "system" at fictionwise is way way too complicated and they are driving potential customers away.

I've bought a couple of books there and even considered membership, but it's all like smoke and mirrors and con men in the approach (particularly when the prices/rebates/percentages/typeofpayment change as I watch) which makes me more than a little bit leery of using them.
I agree, I'd much rather they put a standard discount on things, rather than the deliberately mysterious system they have. I could live with some kind of loyalty scheme as well. That said, they're the cheapest so that's where to buy.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Could be. I suspect regional restrictions are more of a problem.

Personally, I don't find it complicated. But then, I've been buying from them since 2003, so I've had a long time to get used to it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #21
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Could be. I suspect regional restrictions are more of a problem.

Personally, I don't find it complicated. But then, I've been buying from them since 2003, so I've had a long time to get used to it.
You are one. You've been absorbed!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:40 AM   #22
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Interesting! I keep track of dollars spent versus books read to get an average cost per book, but my freebie reads subsidize this cost. I just ran the numbers on dollars spent on books divided number of books bought, and my total was $3.60 per book. Not bad, but I would have pegged it at more like $2.50. My current totals otherwise:

Current cost per book is about $8 but a recent sale nudged that up from about $7
If I read every book before buying anything new is will be $4 per book
If you factor in the free reads still unread in my Calibre library it will be $1.78 per book
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #23
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
All these rebates etc have always baffled me a little. Even after reading this really informative thread, I'm still a little confused.
Maybe its a European thing?
Give me straight, cold cash price anytime.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #24
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
I agree, I'd much rather they put a standard discount on things, rather than the deliberately mysterious system they have. I could live with some kind of loyalty scheme as well. That said, they're the cheapest so that's where to buy.
Well, there is a possibility that they are required to charge X amount for certain books by their publisher. If so, they might not be able to give a straight discount for certain books. (i.e. those under secure formats) Such, the current system.

I agree with someone above that it only really was worth it for me when they offer membership with a 100% rebate. This is especially true since they've gotten away from Microsoft Reader as a secure format.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #25
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I look back for all the time I've been buying ebooks (about 2002 or so), I've bought 1022 from fictionwise and 640 or so from webscription.net and a handful from other places.

At Fictionwise I've spent (including Memberships) $2670.42
At Webscription.net I've spent $2168.00

Overall average price: $2.91

Mind you, I still have around 380 in my "to be read" pile, so my current "cost per read" is $3.77.

And given that I've been reading ebooks almost exclusively since 2002, I reckon that means I now have just over two year's worth reading material, at around 160 books/year.

Hmm... So I've spent $50/month on ebooks over the past eight years. Wow. Mind you, if you calculate it over the time I'll be spending reading those books, it's only $40/month...

And now I've spent far too much time on book price statistics. The perils of a good email archive :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Interesting! I keep track of dollars spent versus books read to get an average cost per book, but my freebie reads subsidize this cost. I just ran the numbers on dollars spent on books divided number of books bought, and my total was $3.60 per book. Not bad, but I would have pegged it at more like $2.50. My current totals otherwise:

Current cost per book is about $8 but a recent sale nudged that up from about $7
If I read every book before buying anything new is will be $4 per book
If you factor in the free reads still unread in my Calibre library it will be $1.78 per book
Old 11-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
And now I've spent far too much time on book price statistics. The perils of a good email archive :-)

And think what the cost would have been to purchase those same books as pbooks...
Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
And think what the cost would have been to purchase those same books as pbooks...
There's no way I'm going to look up 1800+ books on Amazon
Old 11-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
There's no way I'm going to look up 1800+ books on Amazon

I know, but I'll bet that even used at Amazon you are way-way ahead money-wise and certainly at the standard discount price.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #29
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Out of interest, were you buying books that you wanted to have available to read, and you now have a nice big library, or was that books that you've mostly read over the year?
A lot of the books I've purchased are continuations of series or filling in backlists of favorite authors that I know I will read at some point in time, but not necessarily right away. These are the purchases I make when they have a higher percentage off coupon or higher micropay rebate. I use the micropay dollars that I have earned with those purchases when a book comes out that I want NOW and there's no sale going on.

I've never had any trouble understanding Fictionwise's system, and find I get the best deal there over time, but I'd definitely prefer a simpler system if I could get the same overall pricing and selection.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #30
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
They way they describe the micropay rebates is weird. I just think of it as "buy one, get one free" or "buy one, get a coupon for 50% off the next one." And you don't have to pick the freebie/next one at the same time.

It locks those dollars into Fictionwise purchases, but they are good prices, and there are frequent sales that make the micropay dollars useful.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote