Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #16
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:22 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Ehhhh, and exactly HOW would they do that?

Even tho each BeBook has a unique PID that is used for MobiPocket DRMed bookpurchases how exactly will that be useful once it's deDRMEd?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #18
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's probably just salespeople sprouting nonsense as usual to reassure "the industry".
Reminds me of the recent quote from bash.org.ru:
Quote:
yanisdesign
I wonder why Yevroset'[probably the largest chain of cellphone shops in Russia] mentions that iPhone 3G supports video recording when it does no such thing…
izzik
I once went into a Yevroset' branch and asked if Nokia 1100 supports VHS. The salesman replied without long deliberation, "Yes, certainly!"...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #20
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
From the Techradar review:

"In terms of piracy, BeBook assures TechRadar that each device has a unique key, to enable the company to identify any copyright-infringing users that are using illegally obtained ebooks from torrent sites and the like. We will be sure to investigate how this aspect of the device works further when we get a unit in for review."
I'm with igorsk on this -- salesman confusion. The only other way of reading it is that the BeBook will return details, with its ID, to a central server of every item on the device and consumed. Which I think would fall foul of all sorts of laws.

They also say they've have cheaper books than other sources (Kindle, for instance). Well, it would be good if they did, but I'm not holding my breath!
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post

They also say they've have cheaper books than other sources (Kindle, for instance). Well, it would be good if they did, but I'm not holding my breath!
So far they have released a large number of PDF files sized for a 6" device and offered for free. These are Gutenberg based and have no, or very little formatting (from the text source) and no pictures and no proof reading. The released the full notebook of Da Vinci with no images. How useful is that?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:31 AM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It's probably just salespeople sprouting nonsense as usual to reassure "the industry".
Reminds me of the recent quote from bash.org.ru:
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:40 AM   #23
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
From the Techradar review:

"In terms of piracy, BeBook assures TechRadar that each device has a unique key, to enable the company to identify any copyright-infringing users that are using illegally obtained ebooks from torrent sites and the like. We will be sure to investigate how this aspect of the device works further when we get a unit in for review."

I know in the UK we mostly embrace Big Brother but how will that fly in the US? FWIW I "format shift" ebooks on occasion and don't feel like a criminal because of it. Your, and the law's, opinion may vary.

I too buy my books in lit format and then convert them to what I need. I don't feel bad about it as I have paid for the ebook. But if this would be an issue for a Bebook then I wouldn't buy one.
I seriously hope other companies don't go down down the same route. I really feel this is a violation of privacy, if the reader sends info on what is in my ebook collection to the company.
Cant see people liking this at all, it is a similar thing to SecuRom and look at the fuss that causes.
I was considering buying a Bebook, but will stick with my Sony for now.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #24
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #25
CathalMagus
CathalMagus is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin V3 (lBook r2) with OpenInkpot
Yep, Xtra-Vision in Ireland has the Sony Reader too, I checked it out this afternoon to make sure it wasn't just a "coming soon" poster in the window - they had an actual working display unit and everything! Selling for €250 (pretty much exactly £200 sterling). They also have the Waterstones "160 books under one cover" poster in the window, but I'm not certain if they bundle any e-books with it.
CathalMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #26
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #27
SilverBullit
SilverBullit began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
That's good news for Bebook.

I see they are also listed on play.com
SilverBullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #28
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I posted a video Interview showing the Bebook E-Ink reader at: http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/stylz-bebook-e-ink-reader/
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 AM   #29
PaweL_L
Greetings from Poland :-)
PaweL_L began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Could anyone tell me if the BeBook displays the national characters correctly? I am thinkin about buying it, but I`d like to know whether it can show letters from different languages.
Thanks in advance.
PaweL_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
According to the BeBook website, the BeBook (which recently added Mobipocket support) will be introduced to the UK through a number of retailers soon:
"Time to say 'hello' to the UK once more! Within the next few weeks the BeBook will be available from stores nationwide in the UK!"
This is of course good news for ebook acceptance in general. In addition, the BeBook got some new reviews as well, like this one from TechRadar.

I wish Endless Ideas good luck with the introduction of their BeBook in the UK.
Any word that BeBook can/will be sold in the USA?
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, introduction