Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
WiFi

I'm old fashioned and have a prs 650 - no WiFi. If I buy a reader with WiFi do I have to use it. All I want to do is load books from Calibre or PDF and read them. Not interested in anything else.

And if I have to have it, what's the cost?
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'm pretty sure all wi-fi equipped e-readers have the facility to leave the wi-fi turned off if that's your preference.

There's no on-going cost for wi-fi as far as I know.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If your reader is capable of a wi-fi connection, that doesn't mean you get free wi-fi everywhere. You'll need to connect to your home internet which you pay for and are able to set up for wi-fi; or find a free wi-fi hotspot to use, such as in Barnes & Nobles bookstores, Starbucks and other coffee shops, hotels, etc.

And you can always turn the wif-fi off if you don't want to use it. I don't know of any reader that forces it to remain on since it drains the battery faster with it on.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have the PRS-T1 and I rarely use the wifi. You can leave it turned off if you have no need of it.
I use the wifi occasionally for downloading books directly from the Overdrive library, but you can also just download the books onto your computer and sync them to the reader.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Normally there is no cost for WiFi (unless you are traveling) and the cost for WiFi at home is free. Are you thinking of 3g? As others have said, you can turn WiFi on or off. WiFi is good though for buying books online or using libraries away from home.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert