Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #61
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear ALL:

Profound apologies for the complete mess at FRY's Electronics. I will get to the bottom of FRY's blunderous mess!! What a complete disaster!! I apolgize so much for a complete mess from our retail partner!!
Give 'em hell, Bob!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #62
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
MODERATOR: Please delete post #50. I didn't realise I had double-posted. Sorry about that. I can't seem to find a way to delete it myself. Only able to edit the content of the post.

Thanks.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #63
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
MODERATOR: Please delete post #50. I didn't realise I had double-posted. Sorry about that. I can't seem to find a way to delete it myself. Only able to edit the content of the post.

Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about the double post. You can just delete the content if you want.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #64
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Astak EZ Reader
I know a lot of people had trouble with Fry's this weekend, but I guess I have to mention, I actually had good luck with the website when I ordered the EZ Reader on Friday. They had free shipping, the lower sale price, and I was able to download the rebate form.

Now if it's actually delivered in a timely manner, I'll be quite happy with the whole deal. (Though I HATE rebate forms ... they seem purposely designed to alienate customers.)

As for the mix-ups at the stores, I can see how it might have happened, at least some of it. I work in retail, and it takes a lot of clear communication (not present in abundance in the corporate world) at multiple levels for specials, merchandising materials, etc., to be implemented consistently across a whole chain. The various corporate offices have to create the project and plan it sufficiently well amongst themselves, then send it off to the communications people, and they have to get it to the stores in a way the store managers can comprehend. Then the store managers have to have their staff put up the materials, etc. It's not rocket science, but it's a bit complex, and a minor lapse anywhere in the chain results in baffled/frustrated customers. And for a manager, a weekend sale on something like an ebook reader -- not anywhere near the hottest item in the store -- may be low on his list of priorities.

Not making excuses for these absurdities at Frys -- just pointing out how these things occur.
Thrasymachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #65
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Dear ALL:

Profound apologies for the complete mess at FRY's Electronics. I will get to the bottom of FRY's blunderous mess!! What a complete disaster!! I apolgize so much for a complete mess from our retail partner!!
Robertb,

Hindsight is 20/20. You should have done this sale with Newegg.....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #66
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I would suggest keeping the deal with Fry's, but changing the contract so that they aren't the only storefront. The store sales are great, especially when the buyer can hold and compare multiple readers, look at features, formats supported, and price. That's the best thing for Astak.

I would also suggest that Astak make a deal with a book store. I'm not certain is Sony has an exclusive deal with Borders or not, but I'd definitely try and find out. Perhaps you could strike a deal with some of the huge department stores. Sears, Dillards, maybe a toy/gadget store like FAO Schwartz.

Fry's alone will not do it, and judging by what they did with this sale, you have a lot of leverage to force a contract change. Multiple stores, multiple genres.

Another possibility. I read in one of these threads that Bed Bath and Beyond sell a reader (as strange as that sounds, I never would have guessed). Why not approach a place like Pier 1? I think that might do very well. Most Pier 1 customers have a bit more expendable income, and might really take to a reader.

Just a thought.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #67
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Robert:

Just a note: I was never even able to get into the Fry's website on the 5th, they were getting so much traffic. Kept timing out.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #68
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Shoulda done with NewEgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Robertb,

Hindsight is 20/20. You should have done this sale with Newegg.....
The way we try to work it is to give a rebate to one and then the other. We switch off so each can have the best price at least once a month or so.

Yes, in hindsight, it is clear that NewEgg deserves more support. Walter handles NewEgg and I am sure he will treat them right!!

Your point is well taken!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #69
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking with Bed, Bath, and Beyond and eBook Sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I would suggest keeping the deal with Fry's, but changing the contract so that they aren't the only storefront. The store sales are great, especially when the buyer can hold and compare multiple readers, look at features, formats supported, and price. That's the best thing for Astak.

I would also suggest that Astak make a deal with a book store. I'm not certain is Sony has an exclusive deal with Borders or not, but I'd definitely try and find out. Perhaps you could strike a deal with some of the huge department stores. Sears, Dillards, maybe a toy/gadget store like FAO Schwartz.

Fry's alone will not do it, and judging by what they did with this sale, you have a lot of leverage to force a contract change. Multiple stores, multiple genres.

Another possibility. I read in one of these threads that Bed Bath and Beyond sell a reader (as strange as that sounds, I never would have guessed). Why not approach a place like Pier 1? I think that might do very well. Most Pier 1 customers have a bit more expendable income, and might really take to a reader.

Just a thought.
Dear Griffonwing:

I cannot give all our efforts away as it does get to our competitors. I am working with Bed, Bath, and Beyond to try to get that moving and I am all over eBook websites trying to get them to carry both eBooks and Readers.

I am jusy really, really disappointed with FRY's and want a full explanation.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #70
Robertb

I violated a FRYs policy!

Dear All:

The ad and rebate were purposely held out of the FRY's ad over the three day weekend BECAUSE it was all over the internet that the EZ Reader would be on sale. Now, you would think they would like this but they do NOT. FRYs forbids (I never knew before) vendors to tip off anybody about their sales.

SO... because I tipped off people and built up a lot of enthusiasm for the sale... the ad was withheld and NOT run to punish me.

I cannot argue with FRYs on this. They have their own ways.

I apologize for trying to build up enthusiasm which I thought FRYs and MobileRead Forum people would appreciate. FRYs did NOT appreciate my efforts.

I now have to shut up and say nothing further. I am sorry.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #71
deltame
deltame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, EZ Reader
Robert,

I am one of those who initially couldn't access rebate on frys.com but eventually managed to order one at later hours on July 3. I agree with the poster who suggested your finding a way to update your company's contract - I actually thought target would be a good fit for your retail presence (but don't tell us any more secrets you are not suppose to disclose!). I like neweggs and their service has always been good from my experience. More importantly, the best thing you can do (i.e., those things are your control) would be to speed up your company's own website to ensure online order is quickly available and functional - this would wade off the "punishment" mentality from your Frys.com people once and for all

Also, if you put products on sale try to avoid rebates b/c processing rebates also costs you money, so why don't you simplify things and pass on the savings to the user (and/or the company).

I will be reading on EZ Reader shortly once its delivered.

deltame
deltame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #72
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Dear All:

The ad and rebate were purposely held out of the FRY's ad over the three day weekend BECAUSE it was all over the internet that the EZ Reader would be on sale. Now, you would think they would like this but they do NOT. FRYs forbids (I never knew before) vendors to tip off anybody about their sales.

SO... because I tipped off people and built up a lot of enthusiasm for the sale... the ad was withheld and NOT run to punish me.

I cannot argue with FRYs on this. They have their own ways.

I apologize for trying to build up enthusiasm which I thought FRYs and MobileRead Forum people would appreciate. FRYs did NOT appreciate my efforts.

I now have to shut up and say nothing further. I am sorry.
So they couldn't have told you this? You might not can argue with Fry's on this, but I darn sure can! That was just wrong. They should have appreciated it. They weren't going to target MR people with the ads, and where else are you going to find this kind of concentration of people who would be interested in that sale? That is just ridiculous. Get out of that contract if you can, Robert...and when you get a new one with a different retailer, make sure it doesn't have any "hidden" crap like that in it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #73
sockmonkey
sockmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader
FRYs JUST CANCELLED MY JULY 4 ORDER

Add this to the clusterf***. Like others, I'd been waiting for this sale for a few days. I already have an EZ Reader and needed one for my (slightly envious) wife. Great birthday present timing, too. I was almost certainly one of the early orders via the FRYs web site.

Well, FRYs just sent me an email, four days after placing this order, to tell me that they're out of stock. FRYs says my order is still "pending", but will I get it in time for the rebate to be effective?

Can I add my vote that almost ANY retailer is better than FRYs when it comes to fulfillment/satisfaction?

Sock
sockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #74
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
Can I add my vote that almost ANY retailer is better than FRYs when it comes to fulfillment/satisfaction
Don't have Fry's retail locations around here, so I can't speak to that. They certainly ruined what used to be a good web shopping site (Outpost.com) back in the day.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #75
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congrats to those who got it in-store, best wishes to those who are awaiting delivery. I hope it works out OK for you, although sock monkey's story doesn't imply a happy ending is coming.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote