Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynvision View Post
If that's the same Charlie Rose show I saw, he was being rather down about being a device making company for the sake of being one of umpteen companies chasing after Apple and its pad. Two month later I hear reports Amazon has a 'lab' and is working on 'the next big' thing... Cagey fellow, Mr. Bezos is...
I have no doubt that they are working towards a color screen. I know that Amazon bought a company that is suppose to be working on developing a color e-ink screen. Last rumors had that the page turns were close to a minute long and that there was still a decent amount of work to do to get closer to the page turn speeds needed to get a color screen out there.

I would be a bit surprised if one is announced in the next 12 months. I am think the K5 will have a color screen but not the K4. I would be thrilled to be wrong. (grins)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #32
CPhill505
CPhill505 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
Nook 2

When did they announce the Nook last year? I remember that they couldn't keep up with production and many people got IOU's for Christmas. Hopefully they'll bring out a new one in time for Christmas this year. Actually, my birthday's in late October..B&N, please release it before then

I'm still thinking of picking up last year's Sony while suppies last...maybe
CPhill505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #33
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
I'm giving BN until October to announce a new nook. If not, I will stick to a K3.
What would you want in a new NOOK? Besides the Pearl film, which as far as I know isn't a design change.

I'm expecting a premium Pearl NOOK 3G to be added to the lineup sometime relatively soon. I don't expect Pearl on the NOOK Wi-Fi, because that model exists specifically to be more affordable. Unless B&N is able to obtain large quantities of Pearl film, which I think is unlikely for the next few months, I suspect that the standard Vizplex NOOK 3G will still be in the product lineup.

Anyway, it seems to me that the NOOK hardware is fine. There are lots of software changes we could use, but those don't call for "a new nook".
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #34
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pardee View Post
Anyway, it seems to me that the NOOK hardware is fine. There are lots of software changes we could use, but those don't call for "a new nook".
If you are B&N and the profits will be better, I think that's the rout they would take...though I think it would piss alot of people off.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #35
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
jhempl24, I still don't understand what changes you'd want in a NOOK 2 that aren't just software or the use of Pearl film on the display.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #36
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'm fine with my Nook, it's softrooted, I have everything I need.

I was stating that Barnes and Noble may say "oh hell with it, just release another one with all the software changes they wanted and call it a Nook 2"
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #37
CPhill505
CPhill505 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
Don't you think that they would want something that would grab public attention? Maybe leave the readers that they have alone, but introduce a new reader...larger..touch screen..colors...speaks in tongues? They need something that they can flash onto our TV screens to get people to run to B&N to check out the new model/s. Maybe even just third party readers.
All I personally would like, is the cracked button issue fixed and make it a little lighter. A full touch screen would be nice, but then it would be a Sony 650.
CPhill505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
jhempl24, I still don't understand what changes you'd want in a NOOK 2 that aren't just software or the use of Pearl film on the display.
I would want it to be lighter for sure. It's not heavy, but it's just heavy enough to make my wrists get tired when reading for a long time. Certainly still lighter than most books, but if it can be lighter, it should be lighter.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #39
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

and even the Pearl screen isn't the second coming of Christ like many hoped and thought it would be. It is nice don't get me wrong but not to the point it's leaps and bounds over the Nook's contrast screen which is still among the best.

I would just like to see them run a heavy commerical campaign. I will give it up to Amazon, they created a strong brand awareness of the Kindle. To most people outside of this forum, Nook is a "huh" and "Sony makes e-readers?"

Barnes and noble does a great job of in store goreilla marketing but for people who rarely go to a bookstore the product is lost.

They need to run some serious commerial times. Seriously watch TV tonight and count how many Kindle commericals you'll see during prime time and then count how many Nook and Sony e books commericals you'll see.

Last edited by boswd; 09-08-2010 at 12:55 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #40
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The K2 was lighter then the K1 because they dropped the memory card slot and replaceable battery. Since people seem to prefer the Nook to the Kindle because of the memory card slot and replaceable battery I doubt that those are going to go any where. I am not sure where else they can drop weight on the Nook.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #41
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The K2 was lighter then the K1 because they dropped the memory card slot and replaceable battery. Since people seem to prefer the Nook to the Kindle because of the memory card slot and replaceable battery I doubt that those are going to go any where. I am not sure where else they can drop weight on the Nook.
Well, some people do prefer the replaceable battery. I think this is very much a case where the people who care about those things (and have preferences regarding epub or DRM) will gravitate to the Nook while those who don't, and aren't B&N regular customers will tend to just get Kindles.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, some people do prefer the replaceable battery. I think this is very much a case where the people who care about those things (and have preferences regarding epub or DRM) will gravitate to the Nook while those who don't, and aren't B&N regular customers will tend to just get Kindles.

--
Bill
Agreed. That is why I ended my paragraph with I doubt that those are going anywhere so I don't see where the Nook will drop any weight.

I understand that people prefer the Nook because they want the additional flexibility that the Nook offers. I felt the same when the K2 came out. Then I looked at how often I used that flexibility (never) and realized that it wasn't important. I have a sneaking suspicion that a large number of Nook owners don't use memory cards, replaceable battery, and shop mainly at the B&N store so that the format isn't all that important to them. Those folks might not post here but lets not forget that it takes someone with a heightened level of interest in e-readers to seek out these websites and that is going to alter who devices are used by board members.

I own the K1 and never used the replaceable battery or the memory card slot. OK, I did change the battery once to charge a second battery just in case I ran out of battery life while flying from DC to Sydney. Turned out I didn't need it. I read 13 hours in the airport waiting for planes and on the plane itself and arrived at my hotel with a still ticking K1. I felt better having the extra battery but was happy to not have to use it.

I had 300 books on my K1 for that trip and didn't run out of space or need to worry about a memory card. I don't read manga or anything that takes up a ton of space. When I wanted a new book I bought it online and transfered it to my K1. It took less then 2 minutes all around and I did buy four new books on the trip.* (shrugs)

I have the DXG now and am even less concerned about the battery. My K1 battery is working fine and has not needed to be replaced. My DXG can last twice as long as my K1 battery so I am not worrying about running out of juice. The K3 is suppose to last a month on one charge. Storage space is of no concern, I can hold 3,500 books sorted into collections. And my DXG is only a little heavier then my K1. Best of all worlds.

As for EPub, I have yet to not be able to buy a book that I want for my Kindle that I had to worry about formatting. I have not had to use Calibre to download books. I know where I can go to buy books formatted for the Kindle that are not from the Kindle store. With a little bit more effort, I can increase the number of stores I shop at. I am not locked into Amazon and can rad what I want.

It is great that we have competition and people can get different devices that suit their needs. The Nook is not likely to be able to drop much weight if it maintains it current specs. Since those specs are popular with Nook users, they are not likely to go away and the Nook is not likely to drop much weight.

* I had started the Wheel of Time series and decided not to buy all the books that were available when I bought the first so I needed to download the rest of the series that was available.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #43
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Agreed.
As for EPub, I have yet to not be able to buy a book that I want for my Kindle that I had to worry about formatting. I have not had to use Calibre to download books. I know where I can go to buy books formatted for the Kindle that are not from the Kindle store. With a little bit more effort, I can increase the number of stores I shop at. I am not locked into Amazon and can rad what I want.
Until libraries carry Mobi format, Epub is a big advantage, assuming one is aware of library ebook availability. I live in L.A. and borrow a lot from the L.A. public library. I doubt this is something B&N would want to advertise, though.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #44
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
Until libraries carry Mobi format, Epub is a big advantage, assuming one is aware of library ebook availability. I live in L.A. and borrow a lot from the L.A. public library. I doubt this is something B&N would want to advertise, though.
Assuming that you use the library and that your library has a good selection of books, EPub is an advantage. I don't so it is not an issue for me. I have a sneaking suspicion that there are a large number of folks who do not use the library.

I am glad that people are happy with their Nooks. I love that there are so many e-reader choices out there. That means that publishers have more reasons for converting older books into e-book format and to make available current reading material. That benefits everyone.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #45
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
just got back from Barnes and Noble right now where I stopped at the Nook desk andchecked one out. The guy who came to give me the spiel said it was a "safe bet" that Nook 2 would come out in time for the holidays, but that he had no idea what the differences or price would be. Said they really aren't given that info since "hold out for a few months" isn't the ideal sales pitch.

If they come in a little cheaper or nicer, I'd like to go with the Nook instead of the Kindle. Don't like the idea of mobi and that you can't even change your own battery (makes me think of it as disposable--even if it is 3 year disposable).

But I have a bday coming in a month and it's gonna be pretty tough not to wish for a Kindle unless I know something concrete within the next couple of weeks.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote