Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #541
tobeabletopost
Custom User Title
tobeabletopost began at the beginning.

Device: Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Graphic novels to me and to a lot of people aren't books.
Thank you for reminding the members of a board dedicated to reading how hilarious the thoughts of "a lot of people" are. I did a quick web-search: "define book"; yep, still hilarious.

Anyhow, I recently picked up Michaelbrent Collings' THE COLONY Omnibus. Has anyone here read that series? I'm not familiar with the author, I bought it based soley on the description: "Conversion is instant. Headshots just make them angry. And they’re getting smarter."
Emotionally numb zombies are bad enough, I'm eager to see how angry zombies behave. I wonder if they'll moan about what brains are the proper brains to eat. To a lot of zombies, arguments like that are important.
tobeabletopost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #542
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Just finished going through the whole thread and added a LOT of books to my wishlist. While searching and reading reviews I found several books previously mentioned that were FREE on Amazon so I thought I'd post them all here for your convenience.

Eden: A Short Story About The Zombie Apocalypse
Hollowland
Zombie Fallout
PaxCorpus
Year of the Dead
LZR-1143: Infection

I should add that I've only read (& enjoyed) Zombie Fallout but I will definitely be checking out the rest of these. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Found another one. I've read it and really enjoyed it:
Voyage of the Dead

Last edited by vsalvaggio; 06-16-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added Voyage of the Dead
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #543
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw only one mention of Book 1 in John Ringo's Black Tide Rising Series so I want to take time to recommend the whole series:
Under a Graveyard Sky
To Sail a Darkling Sea
Islands of Rage and Hope
Strands of Sorrow

Description for book 1:
Zombies are real. And we made them. Are you prepared for the zombie apocalypse? The Smith family is, with the help of a few marines.

When an airborne “zombie” plague is released, bringing civilization to a grinding halt, the Smith family, Steven, Stacey, Sophia and Faith, take to the Atlantic to avoid the chaos. The plan is to find a safe haven from the anarchy of infected humanity. What they discover, instead, is a sea composed of the tears of survivors and a passion for bringing hope.

For is up to the Smiths and a small band of Marines to somehow create the refuge that survivors seek in a world of darkness and terror. Now with every continent a holocaust and every ship an abattoir, life is lived beneath a graveyard sky.

I am a fan of much (but not all) of Ringo's work and a huge fan of his publisher, Baen. I REALLY enjoyed it. I highly recommend.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:02 AM   #544
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeabletopost View Post
Thank you for reminding the members of a board dedicated to reading how hilarious the thoughts of "a lot of people" are. I did a quick web-search: "define book"; yep, still hilarious.
Taking things out of context? "Forgetting" to quote the rest of the continuing text? Being snarky for snark's sake?

Yeah still not funny.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 AM   #545
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a great recommendation. Gove a try to Paul is Undead by Alan Goldsher.

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to really meet the Beatles. This is a delightfully gory retelling of the Beatles' U.S. tour that reimagines the Liverpool foursome as bloodthirsty zombies who take over the world...literally!

For John Lennon, a young, idealistic zombie guitarist with dreams of global domination, Liverpool seems the ideal place to form a band that could take over the world. In an inspired act, Lennon kills and reanimates local rocker Paul McCartney, kicking off an unstoppable partnership. With the addition of newly zombified guitarist George Harrison and drummer/Seventh Level Ninja Lord Ringo Starr, the Beatles soon cut a swath of bloody good music and bloody violent mayhem across Europe, America, and the entire planet.

In this searing oral history, discover how the Fab Four climbed to the Toppermost of the Poppermost while stealing the hearts, ears, and brains of smitten teenage girls. Learn the tale behind a spiritual journey that resulted in the dismemberment of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Marvel at the seemingly indestructible quartet's survival of a fierce attack by Eighth Level Ninja Lord Yoko Ono. And find out how the boys escaped eternal death at the hands of England's greatest zombie hunter, Mick Jagger.

Through all this, one mystery remains: Can the Beatles sublimate their hunger for gray matter, remain on top of the charts, and stay together for all eternity? After all, three of the Fab Four are zombies, and zombies live forever.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #546
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a great recommendation. Gove a try to Paul is Undead by Alan Goldsher.

You have my attention.

Where's the link?

Right here: http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Undead-Al...+undead+kindle

Ouch! ---- $10.99 for this one. And I want it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #547
vsalvaggio
Zealot

Sovereign Spirit Saga

Here's a trilogy that I really enjoyed (at least the first 2 books). Would love to know what anyone else thinks about it. Book 1 is free on Amazon!

The Sovereign Spirit Saga:
Voyage of the Dead
Flotilla of the Dead
Deluge of the Dead
Interludes in Hell
- short stories in the same universe.
Sovereign Spirit Saga: Volume One - Omnibus of Voyage, Flotilla & Deluge

Description for book 1:
Voyage of the Dead is the first book of the Sovereign Spirit Saga about survivors of the Zombie Apocalypse. Most of them are aboard a ship that is well equipped to survive the end of civilization, while others struggle to survive in a world suddenly overrun by undead cannibals. This is an apocalyptic adventure set within a horror genre, full of blood, guts, violence and the human emotions that fuel our survival instincts. While some scenes include graphic violence, it is intended to be more exciting than disgusting and more about using your brains than eating them. Welcome Aboard and Bon Voyage!

Books 1 & 2 I really enjoyed. Book 3 had a subplot about a biker gang raping and pillaging that was more than a bit disturbing. Also it unfortunately ends in a bit of a cliffhanger and not sure when "Volume 2" will be released (if ever).
Old 06-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #548
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
I loved World War Z. I didn't like The Zombie Survival Guide much, though, except for the recorded attacks appendix. That was cool.

I've also heard good things about I Am Legend, though I haven't read it myself.
I came to say I Am Legend. I haven't read many Zombie books, so I can't say which is 'best', but I did enjoy that one.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #549
Lizbethbrown
Lizbethbrown began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Reapers are Angels by Alden Bell and Apocalypse the Memoir are both my favs at the momemt.
Lizbethbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #550
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi, you may have already gotten this suggestion, but for a zombie with brains (of his own), have you tried Raising Stony Mayhall (by Daryl Gregory)?
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #551
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyISbetter View Post
Hi, you may have already gotten this suggestion, but for a zombie with brains (of his own), have you tried Raising Stony Mayhall (by Daryl Gregory)?
Thank you.

I'll look at that one to see if any heads are rolling.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #552
vsalvaggio
Zealot

Omega Days

I've read the first three books in this series (book 4 just released) and I really enjoyed them.

Omega Days
Ship of the Dead
Drifters
Crossbones

Last edited by vsalvaggio; 10-18-2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #553
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbethbrown View Post
Reapers are Angels by Alden Bell and Apocalypse the Memoir are both my favs at the momemt.
I took a punt on Reapers are Angels.....thanks for the recommendation!

I found it to be one of the better written Zombie books available. Well written characters, decent exploration of some complex themes, engaging style and just enough gore/action to satisfy without going stupid.

A definite thumbs up. It has revived my interest in the genre.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #554
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I bought The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey, as I thought the premise seemed intriguing:

Quote:
Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favorite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.
Until I started to read it, I had no inkling that it would be about ZOMBIES! Or "Hungries", but we all know what they are... Half way through and it's pretty good, with a mix of traditional brain-dead zombies and a newer, intelligent breed.

The book is based on M. R. Carey's Edgar Award winning short story, "Iphigenia In Aulis". M.R. Carey is known for his work in comics, including DC Comics and 2000AD, and has written for series such as Hellblazer and Sandman, and wrote all of the Eisner Award-nominated Lucifer.

The Girl with All the Gifts has also been made into a movie, with Gemma Arterton, Glenn Close and Paddy Considine, due out on September 23.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #555
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
I read through pages 1-7 in this thread (loving it!), and then backward from 35-27. (I will read through pages 8-26 another day). So far, though it could be on a page I didn't yet read, I didn't see anyone mention Charlie Higson's The Enemy series:
Quote:
They’ll chase you. They’ll rip you open. They’ll feed on you . . . When the sickness came, every parent, police officer, politician – every adult – fell ill. The lucky ones died. The others are crazed, confused and hungry. Only children under 14 (under 16 in the US version) remain, and they’re fighting to survive. Now there are rumours of a safe place to hide. And so a gang of children begins its quest across London, where all through the city – down alleyways, in deserted houses, underground – the grown-ups lie in wait. But can they make it there – alive?
  1. The Enemy
  2. The Dead
  3. The Fear
  4. The Sacrifice
  5. The Fallen
  6. The Hunted
  7. The End
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote