Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Last Minute Baen Recommendations

So, I have a stack of eBook coupons from Planet Baen and I don't know what to expect once the deal with Amazon is done. Any recommendations of books to pick up today before "the end"?

I have the Vorkosigan Saga and Larry Correia's books. I enjoy "classic" Sci-Fi like Asimov, Bradbury, etc. As a whole I enjoy most SF/Fantasy as long as they are well written and creative, but I don't like books with explicit sexual content, which rules out some Baen authors. Not into alternate history or military so much. I started the Deed of Paksomething and decided about halfway through the first book that it wasn't my style.

I already have the Baen CDs but not the rest of the free library or the monthly webscriptions. I heard that the Honor Harrington series was good but I think the CDs cover a lot of it already.

Was thinking of picking up the Rick Cook Wizard's books.

So, with all that said... recommend away!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Was thinking of picking up the Rick Cook Wizard's books.

So, with all that said... recommend away!
Yes
Also check out How Dark the World Becomes by Frank Chadwick. Have read the eARC very good.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The CD's include a lot of these so check before buying. (You can always buy them after reading them if you like them.)

Rick Cook Wizard books, yes.

David Drake's RCN series.

Ryk Spoor's Boundary and Threshold.

Eric Flint & Co's, 163x series. Plus Time Spike (think of it as Collateral damage).

Weber's Honorverse: the ones not in the CD are plenty good but they do have cliffhanger endings.
Weber and Evans' Hell's Gate and Hell Hath no Fury, ditto.
Weber's Empire from the Ashes

Pretty much every Pournelle book Baen carries; definitely every Niven&Pournelle book; Footfall, Lucifer's Hammer, Oath of Fealty, Mote in God's eye & the gripping hand, Descent of Anansi, Fallen Angels. Everything.

James P. Hogan; Thrice Upon a Time, Inherit the stars and the sequels. Again, pretty much everything.

Read the descriptions and see which ones might appeal to you but all those authors are very good at what they do and those are among their best works. If you like SF odds are you'll find plenty to like.

As I said elsewhere: get everything from the library, get all the CDs.
Figure out what you like at your leisure later.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-14-2012 at 03:48 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sadly, I think I missed my chance with the free library... I only see about 10 free books now on Baen, and the Free Library links go to non-free books.

Thanks for the recommendations so far; please keep them coming!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
My first purchase from Baen was Hogan's Kicking the Sacred Cow (non fiction)
Highly recomended for anyone interested in the history of modern science.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden Universe series. I'd recommend starting with "Agent of Change".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru

Well, wasn't today the day it was set to change? Looks like Baen's site continues as normal so far...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Today's the day it was speculated to change by the people on the Baen's Bar forum, since the 15th is usually the day when Baen officially completes the new release of it's upcoming monthly scheduled books. And the old titles have started to show up on the Amazon servers, according to people who've been checking.

But there was never an official date given, although last week Baen editor-in-chief Toni Weisskopf did warn people on the Bar to backup their stuff and pick up any old monthly bundles they wanted since the bundle discounts were no longer going to be available "in a matter of days". Though she said couldn't talk much more about it or give more than hints due to the terms of the then-mysterious upcoming distribution deal, which turned out to be with Amazon.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
You might try some of A. Bertram Chandler's omnibuses.

He wrote a couple dozen novels about starship crewman who works his way up through the ranks, first in the military and then out on his own.

Not really military, sort of Star Trek-ish.

Also Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy Omnibus. About a detective in a fantasy world. (Actually alternative history a little bit, but mostly it's about magic and detectives)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
If you're in the mood for holiday reading, I have recently picked up A Cosmic Christmas, edited by Hank Davis. I haven't finished it yet, but I am enjoying it so far.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote