Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-15-2014, 02:14 AM   #1
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Reading RTF (Word) on Android device

I have some science fiction eBooks in Word RTF format
What eBook app would I need to install on my Nexus 7 to be able to read them in their native Word format

I converted one eBook, into mobi with calibre 2.4
Worked on my Android tablet in the 'FBreader' app,
But
There are gaps between the lines which is a bit irritating

Converted another ebook to azw3 with calibre, that worked better on the tablet
but not completely normal, just less gaps

Converted book 1 to ePub but it displays with gaps between the lines too
in two different eReader apps
Reading them in Microsoft Word on the computer it displays properly, surprise, surprise

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Quelch
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In the conversion dialog/settings:

Look & Feel tab:

Check "Remove spacing between paragraphs".

It may be a problem with RTF conversion, I have no idea. You can try opening in Word and resaving as DOCX.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Quelch - why convert, there are several readers for Android that can handle RTF - Coolreader does a pretty good job.

If the size of the RTF's bother you then you could save them as DOCX with Word, depending on document they'll probably shrink between 50 and 90%. Again there are several Android readers that handle DOCX - I like Docs to Go, it also handles Excel and Powerpoint

Read RTF on Android

Read DOCX on Android

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Thanks BetterRed
Installed Cool Reader on my Nexus 7
The RTF file works much better but not perfect, still gaps in the sentences but not as bad
I'll try eschwartz' suggestion to improve it after I've explored Cool Reader's controls

Quelch
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Just now I saw your post. Try AlReader:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ader&hl=es_419

With it you can read fb2, fbz, txt, epub, html, doc, docx, odt, rtf, mobi, prc (PalmDoc), tcr. ZIP and GZ archives. Also with fb2 and txt documents you can EDIT them on the fly.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert