Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #46
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yes, it's literary

Yes, Kevin can nominate it

Yes, it's been done to death

ah, the three yeses
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #47
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have so many, it is hard to name just one or few. My favorite are all nonfiction that change your life in a positive way.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I might as well nominates something 5-star worthy.

I'll nominate Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. It is non-fiction. I have read it. But it is too good a book not to read. Even if you've also read it, please nominate and then vote for it.

[image too large, please resize if really needed - moderator]

Quote:
On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane's bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.

The lieutenant's name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he'd been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.

Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.

Last edited by dreams; 05-22-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: [image too large, please resize if really needed - moderator]
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll second Unbroken.

I'll Nominate The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I've been reading a lot of positive comments, and I hope that it qualifies as Literature (maybe Young Adult Literature)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #50
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Cool Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not a chance. I'm quite fond of dead people.
Some of my best friends are dead...

And, I'll third Unbroken.

Here's the list of nominations so far:

*(5) On The Beach
*(5) Seven Japanse Tales
*(5) A Question Of Upbringing
(4) Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resillience, and Redemption
(3) The Time Machine
(2) A Heart Of A Dog
(2) After Dark
(2) The Age of Innocence
(2) Feast Of All Saints
(2) Time's Arrow
(1) 1984
(1) Age Of War
(1) The Book Thief
(1) Pride And Prejudice
(1) Scartlet Dreams

Last edited by Vandy; 05-23-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #51
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Master and Margarita is a variation of the Faust legend set in 1930s Soviet Union. The novel draws on Goethe's Faust as well as operatic versions of the legend. It also draws on Bulgakov's experiences with the authorities and literary ringleaders of His time. The first draft of the book was written and burned in 1928. Bulgakov was working on the fourth. draft when he died in 1940. The complete version of the novel was not published in Russia until 1973.

Bukgakov was a very good writer and this is his best satire.

I would also recommend A Heart of a Dog by same author about a mad scientist type who creates a human dog hybrid.
Hello, toomanybooks.

Was this a recommendation for The Master and Margarita?
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #52
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'll fifth A Question of Upbringing.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #53
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Some of my best friends are dead...

And, I'll third Unbroken.

Here's the list of nominations so far:

*(5) On The Beach
*(5) Seven Japanse Tales
(4) The Master And Margarita
(4) Persuasion
(3) A Heart Of A Dog
(3) The Time Machine
(3) Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resillience, and Redemption
(2) After Dark
(2) The Age of Innocence
(2) Feast Of All Saints
(2) Time's Arrow
(1) Age Of War
(1) Pride ANd Prejudice
(1) Scartlet Dreams
Don't forget The Book Thief.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #54
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
On the beach is a tad on the expensive side for my tastes although I like the book. When I read it years ago.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #55
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Sounds like me talking to the wife, she says I should be done to death LOL, ok I won't bother, but It is a great piece of work IMHO ... hehehe
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #56
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Sounds like me talking to the wife, she says I should be done to death LOL, ok I won't bother, but It is a great piece of work IMHO ... hehehe
Completely agree - just I've read it several times, and it was also nominated for last month's read but AK beat it.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
On the beach is a tad on the expensive side for my tastes although I like the book. When I read it years ago.
Library (Electronic or dead-tree)?.
Visit Canada where you can download it for free?

There are some options to make it cheaper--and I'd rather that price didn't affect the nomination process anyway. Certainly final voting (or the decision to participate or not once the vote is in) can be affected by price, but let's worry about that if/when an expensive book is actually selected, hmm? The goal is to read interesting, thought provoking literature... cheap would be a bonus, that's all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #58
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'll fifth A Question of Upbringing.
Vandy shows this w/five votes already. Think you get another one.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #59
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Vandy shows this w/five votes already. Think you get another one.
Thanks, could have sworn it was at 4 when I nominated.

Ok then, I'll nominate Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resillience, and Redemption.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #60
Vandy
...always be humble.

Current Nomination

Hello, All.

I have gone through all four pages of this thread three times and, unless I'm completely blind, "On The Beach" has only been nominated four times. That won't be a problem as it is one of my favorites.

I nominate "On The Beach"

Here are the current recommendation numbers:

*(5) On The Beach
*(5) Seven Japanse Tales
(4) Unbroken: A WWII Story of Survival, Resillience, and Redemption
(3) The Time Machine
(2) A Heart Of A Dog
(2) After Dark
(2) The Age of Innocence
(2) Feast Of All Saints
(2) Time's Arrow