Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #25516
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Oh, oh, what a night
Oh what a garden of delight
Even now that sweet memory lingers
I was playin' my guitar
Lying underneath the stars
Just thankin' the lord for my fingers
For my fingers

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxdlEGKHSXk )

Good morning, everyone. Up late last night playing music with my friends and watching all the different fireworks going up over the city. Some were set off in the field next the the building, and did their thing right outside our windows. I was a bit worried that the shock waves would break the window. I've never seen such a close-up view of a 'fire flower,' (the Japanese name for fireworks!

It's more Twinings this morning... The more I drink it, the more I don't like it. But thankfully, now that I have a bike I can get to one of the Import supermarkets and buy some 'real' tea... I hope. 5 years ago they were selling Taylors of Harrogate and Fortnum & Mason teas. I hope they still are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Stitchy - I'm going to order a gross of those traps! And sit on the deck listening for their *click* *shriek*
Do they need bait?
I'm afraid Charlie is right... You have to be the bait. I bought this trap in a tourist gift shop on an Ojibwa reservation just above Lake Superior (if my memory still works...) You may find some on the Cherokee res west of Asheville.

Or... take some yeast/sugar/water and put them in a plastic 2-liter bottle with the top 'cone' cut off and turned upside down and taped back on. This forms a funnel that the mosquitoes can fly down in search of the Co2 they are smelling, and because of the funnel shape, get trapped inside. A couple of these traps spaced out around your deck will keep you from blood-letting.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #25517
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Hmmm .... your skeeter traps sound interesting .... will raid the recycling barrel for some bottles and try it ... thanks!

Ardbeg in my glass - a reward for finally mowing the lawn!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #25518
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Hmmm .... your skeeter traps sound interesting .... will raid the recycling barrel for some bottles and try it ... thanks!
It's a very common mosquito trap used here. (Lots of worry about malaria and, right now, a Dengue Fever outbreak.) Many people believe that wrapping it with black tape or plastic attracks more mosquitoes

Time enough to gag down another mug of Twinings then off to find something better!

Stitchawl
Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #25519
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Opened a bottle of La Frenz Viognier tonight. Yummm.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #25520
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A lunch-time Coke Zero.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #25521
Stitchawl
Opsimath

You know your in Thailand when your Mango Lassi is made with fresh mangos.

Stitchawl
Old 07-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #25522
Stitchawl
Opsimath

A Saturday night glass of Bombay Sapphire as I try to work in some images. Here's a rough draft of that double rainbow I saw at the beginning of the week. It's three images stitched together (no pun intended) to form one. It's the first and only 'complete' double rainbow I've ever seen.

Stitchawl
Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #25523
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
A Saturday night glass of Bombay Sapphire as I try to work in some images. Here's a rough draft of that double rainbow I saw at the beginning of the week. It's three images stitched together (no pun intended) to form one. It's the first and only 'complete' double rainbow I've ever seen.

Stitchawl
AWESOME Shot!!!!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #25524
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Beautiful shot!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #25525
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #25526
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Here's a rough draft of that double rainbow I saw at the beginning of the week.
Wow. What a shot!

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-05-2013 at 05:36 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #25527
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Diet Coke.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #25528
Stitchawl
Opsimath

There's a storm across the valley, clouds are rolling in,
the afternoon is heavy on your shoulders.
There's a truck out on the four lane, a mile or more away,
the whining of his wheels just makes it colder.

He's an hour away from riding on your prayers up in the sky
and ten days on the road are barely gone.
There's a fire softly burning, supper's on the stove,
but it's the light in your eyes that makes him warm.

Hey, it's good to be back home again.
Sometimes this old farm feels like a long lost friend.
Yes, and hey, it's good to be back home again.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qhXIViA2nw )

Good morning, everyone. 7am with a mug of Twining's Ceylon. It's no better than their English Breakfast tea. Different, but no better. It's a 'ho hum' tea.... I'll hit the import supermarket today and find some good tea. My own boxes haven't come yet and I'm getting tired of drinking this junk!

Regarding that rainbow photo... Thanks for the comments. I'll be a lot happier with the pic when I can use my 'real' computer to process it. The monitor on my laptop hasn't been optimized for correct colors, which is why I said that photo is just a rough draft of the final.

You can't seem them because of the storm, but there are mountains lining the far side of the valley, not too many kilometers away. We live on the west side of the city, with another mountain range right at our backs about 3-4k away, with this view over the entire city. It's great for fireworks watching as most of them get set off right in the area of the rainbow! Pretty much the only thing between us and the mountain to the west of us, view-wise, is the building we lived in last time we were here... the big white one. We lived one floor down from the top (same as here) in the front left corner facing east (same as here,) so our views now are almost identical, except now we can see both east AND west! You can't see it in this photo, but there is a wonderful temple on the top of this mountain, with several viewing areas along the road winding its way up there.

Time for a tea refill, then off to help a friend move some furniture, the a hunt for better tea!

Stitchawl
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #25529
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
You know your in Thailand when your Mango Lassi is made with fresh mangos.

Stitchawl
Mmm. I remember those.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #25530
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyReader View Post
Hi.. just curious what lens and camera you used for that shot? nice.. as a retired guy here from National Geo that looks good.. interested in Cam, Lens, Shutter speed and App setting.. I always like to get info on great shots.. by the way.. there have been several shots similar to that one you took on Google from your area.. did you post it?
Bob
Both the rainbow composite and this single frame image were shot with a Nikon D200, Nikon 17-28 f/2.8 AF-S ED lens Hand-held, the rainbow images were shot at f/13 at between 1/250 and 1/18f0 depending on the segment (it was a three image shot put together with Kolor Auto-Pano,) and the shot to the west was taken at f/13 at 1/250, both shot at -.7exp comp, in NEF RAW format, 16-bit Adobe RGB, all processed in Camera Raw then Photoshop, with the rainbow images further put together with Auto-Pano.

I usually keep the 17-28 f/2.8 on the D200 body and a Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8 D IF-ED mounted on a D300 body, with a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens and a Nikon 12-24mm f/4 AF-S in the bag if I need them. Right now, those last two lenses are still somewhere in transit, or I would have used the extreme wide angle for the rainbow images.

Stitchawl

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?