Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Dropbox question

I have had dropbox installed on my desktop for a long time. I just received a new laptop and was thinking of installing dropbox on it and syncing to the same account.

I think I remember reading a post on this forum from someone who had files deleted unintentionally. I can't find the post (I thought I saved it) but I think it was because an additional device was linked up that didn't have the files -- so dropbox deleted these files in the original computer.

Is anyone familiar with this (or something similar)?

Any cautions that I should know about when syncing another device to the same dropbox account?

I want to make sure I don't accidentally delete my stored data.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Never have I heard of such a thing. I have installed dropbox on all of my computers. Haven't lost any data yet.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
The only time I lost stuff was when I started messing with the contents of a folder before it finished syncing.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good to know. I sure wish I could find the post to which I was referring. I just remember that it made an impression at the time and I ended up backing up everything important in another location.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
What it will do when you install it on your new PC is add the files from the cloud onto your new PC. You can do a selective sync if you only want to certain files to go on there.

Like I have my 10GB Calibre Library on DB and Desktop but I don't want it on my netbook. I have it set in the advanced settings of the program not to sync that folder to the netbook. I've never lost files yet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
That said, it is still a good idea to have a backup offline somewhere. Dropbox is great, but servers can go down, firms close. Fires and floods happen. A terabyte usb hard disk costs around 100 euros. I back up to that once a week.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Backups are absolutely necessary.

I admit some frustration that the automatic ones are not as easy as they advertise.
I keep finding manual backups of whole directories are easier.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
I have had dropbox installed on my desktop for a long time. I just received a new laptop and was thinking of installing dropbox on it and syncing to the same account.

I think I remember reading a post on this forum from someone who had files deleted unintentionally. I can't find the post (I thought I saved it) but I think it was because an additional device was linked up that didn't have the files -- so dropbox deleted these files in the original computer.

Is anyone familiar with this (or something similar)?

Any cautions that I should know about when syncing another device to the same dropbox account?

I want to make sure I don't accidentally delete my stored data.
That won't happen unless someone "deletes" folders or files from the Dropbox folder itself, whether it is on the PC hard drive, the laptop hard drive, or on a device such as a smartphone or tablet. If a file or folder is deleted, either from the Dropbox folder on the Web or one of the ones on a device/computer, then that file or folder in the Dropbox folder on all the other devices (using the same login or "shared" with someone else) are deleted as well.
I have a phone, a tablet, a netbook and a laptop and have never lost any data when adding a new device. I have however lost some when someone "sharing" a folder with me decided to clean up and make some room on their computer by deleting the shared folder in Dropbox on their hard drive. Luckily, I always have another copy backed up elsewhere...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-19-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What it will do when you install it on your new PC is add the files from the cloud onto your new PC. You can do a selective sync if you only want to certain files to go on there.

Like I have my 10GB Calibre Library on DB and Desktop but I don't want it on my netbook. I have it set in the advanced settings of the program not to sync that folder to the netbook. I've never lost files yet.
Hey Blossom. I'm glad I'll be able to do a selective sync. My hdd on my laptop is half the size of my desktop, so I definitely don't want my Calibre library on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

I admit some frustration that the automatic ones are not as easy as they advertise.
I think so too. And manual backups make it so much easier to access individual files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
That won't happen unless someone "deletes" folders or files from the Dropbox folder itself, whether it is on the PC hard drive, the laptop hard drive, or on a device such as a smartphone or tablet. If a file or folder is deleted, either from the Dropbox folder on the Web or one of the ones on a device/computer, then that file or folder in the Dropbox folder on all the other devices (using the same login or "shared" with someone else) are deleted as well.
I have a phone, a tablet, a netbook and a laptop and have never lost any data when adding a new device. I have however lost some when someone "sharing" a folder with me decided to clean up and make some room on their computer by deleting the shared folder in Dropbox on their hard drive. Luckily, I always have another copy backed up elsewhere...
That's good to know. Maybe that is what I remember reading - that a folder got deleted on one device and then dropbox automatically deleted it on the other device even though the person wanted and needed the folder. That sounds familiar.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Maybe that is what I remember reading - that a folder got deleted on one device and then dropbox automatically deleted it on the other device even though the person wanted and needed the folder. That sounds familiar.
If that does happen, you can undelete the files at the Dropbox website, it keeps an archive of all deleted files.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

Agreed. My search for the holy grail of a good backup app is yet to be satisfied. You'd think it would be such a simple thing to produce.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
If that does happen, you can undelete the files at the Dropbox website, it keeps an archive of all deleted files.
That's great to know. Thank you Synamon!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Found this out myself when I didn't realize what folder I was deleting stuff from. Panicked because I deleted some work files, and later restored them through the site.

Useful. But, I must admit that it does kinda disturb me a bit. What gets deleted doesn't actually get deleted...
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
Found this out myself when I didn't realize what folder I was deleting stuff from. Panicked because I deleted some work files, and later restored them through the site.

Useful. But, I must admit that it does kinda disturb me a bit. What gets deleted doesn't actually get deleted...
It only keeps a snapshot of activities for 30 days, I'm not sure if you can restore deleted files beyond that. There is a way to permanently delete the files if you are worried, but I never bother.

Last edited by Synamon; 01-19-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
People most often lose files when they share a folder with someone else. The other person grabs the files out of dropbox and moves them (or deletes them.) This of course, deletes the files on ALL computers Sharing that folder. A shared folder is just that. Shared! All owners can add, delete, modify, etc. Great for collaboration. Just make sure all shared participants knows what a "shared" folder is!
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote