Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Hmm, I forgot that the copy of unzip on the device is limited. You can get a better copy from http://www3.telus.net/rkomar/unzip/ (get the file called unzip-pro-360+). Copy it to the same directory and then run:

Code:
./unzip-pro-360+ <zip-filename>
Make sure that the copy is executable before running it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldomenguzzi View Post
another thing, although not related.
I copied the pbanki/mindcraft0.2.8 app to the applications folder as well, since I would like to use flashcards, but this applications doesn't work as well.
Last time I looked at their website, they only built a version for the old 301/302/360 reader models. That version wouldn't work on the newer models.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #18
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi Aldo,
no nothing fancy - I am travelling at the moment and the laptop has a hard time recognising my reader, but as far as I can remember I have it in a subdirectory called "user applications\qorganizer" and simply click on qorganizer.app. How did you install it?

Happy New Year!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast
aldomenguzzi began at the beginning.

Device: none
First of all, happy new year to all of you!)

I downloaded unzip-pro-360+, and being an archive without extensions I tried in the following two ways:
1. putting in the applications folder and adding the .app extension to the filename and then running it both directly and after having cd to ext1
2. putting the file in the application folder leaving it as it is and then trying to running it, both directly and after having cd to ext1

In all cases I get a
unzip-pro-360+: not found

P.s. in case it gets too complicated, do you think that if I run a live version of Debian or Ubuntu I should be able to copy everything?
P.p.s thank you for your patience.

Last edited by aldomenguzzi; 01-01-2013 at 06:16 AM.
aldomenguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
First of all, happy new year to all of you!)

I downloaded unzip-pro-360+, and being an archive without extensions I tried in the following two ways:
1. putting in the applications folder and adding the .app extension to the filename and then running it both directly and after having cd to ext1
2. putting the file in the application folder leaving it as it is and then trying to running it, both directly and after having cd to ext1

In all cases I get a
unzip-pro-360+: not found

P.s. in case it gets too complicated, do you think that if I run a live version of Debian or Ubuntu I should be able to copy everything?
P.p.s thank you for your patience.
Hi Aldo, just to be clear, we are talking about qorganizer, right? I simply downloaded the file "application.zip" from here:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/feVpAAjx/applications.html
unpacked it and copied the result into the root of my reader - I do not think I needed any unzip package - is this what you did, too?
Quote:
I am afraid I have no idea what you are talking about - I must be the least computer literate (or the most computer illiterate) among the users in this forum
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
rkomar
Wizard

It seems to me that most of your problems within poterm are due to being inexperienced with Unix shells, so I'm not sure that running a live version of Linux will help all that much. Maybe there's a GUI version of unzip, but I don't know myself because I prefer using the command-line.

Like in the Windows shell, there is a PATH environmental variable that denotes which directories are searched for commands. Your problem is that unzip-pro-360+ isn't in any of the command directories in PATH, so it isn't found when you just type the name in. So, you have to specify the exact location of the command when you run it. If it's in the same directory as you're currently sitting in, then adding "./" to the start specifies to the shell that it should look in that directory. So, I would copy both unzip-pro-360+ and the zip file to the root directory via USB, and then in poterm, cd to the /mnt/ext1 directory and run the command as I wrote it above (with "./" in front of the unzip command). The command should be found then, and the contents will be unzipped into the right locations. If you cd somewhere else before unzipping it, then the files will be in the wrong place.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #22
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast

Indeed I am very inexperienced with nix OSs.
I can pretty much follow what's going on with the steps explicitly stated, having basically just to copy and paste (insert) terminal commands, but I am almost useless on my own.
Anyhow I am now on a Debian machine (#! Crunchbang, fully installed and updated, not just live), and things are still quite strange.
I copied from the nix machine the files to the PB, but the problem persists.
Looking at folder/files permissions, I get
drwxr-xr-x for the qorganizer and qtplugins folders (and the other subfolders),
-rwxr-xr-x for all the files
I even tried to give all the permissions with Thunar, both normal and root, but the permissions don't "stay".
I even tried with the following chmod command
Code:
# chmod -R 777 /media/Pocket912/applications/qorganizer
but to no avail.
I am a bit perplexed

@Paola, thanks for the link. I tried using that version but still nothing
In any case let's hope that rkomar can figure out what's going on. He's the real programming expert in this thread. I am myself just a newbie and don't know much about computers either.

Last edited by aldomenguzzi; 01-02-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
rkomar
Wizard

The filesystems on the device that are accessible via USB are actually MS FAT types, whereas the device runs Linux as the OS. Unix file permissions are really a kludge when applied to FAT filesystems, so I'm not surprized that you can't really change them exactly, especially when going through the USB Mass Storage interface. However, rwxr-xr-x should be fine for running qorganizer.

Looking at my previous suggestion to run "./qorganizer" in the applications directory, I see now what might have been your problem. qorganizer looks to be the name of the directory, and qorganizer.app the name of the executable file. So, you probably would get a permission denied error if you tried to "run" the directory using that command. Did you try to run "./qorganizer.app" from the applications directory rather than "./qorganizer" when you saw the permissions denied error message?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast

Hello,

thanks for the reply.
I just tried running ./qorganizer.app from the applications directory and I have but I get a not found error.
In fact doing ls, qorganizer comes out, not qorganizer.app. all the other applications on the other hand have the .app extension.
I tried also cd to /mnt/ext1/applications/qorganizer and run the ./qorganizer.app.
I get an interesting error
Code:
./qorganizer.app: line 2: /mnt/ext2/applications/qorganizer/qorganizer: not found

Running just ./qorganizer I get:
Code:
./qorganizer: error while loading shared libraries: libQtSql.so.4: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
rkomar
Wizard

Ah! I expected it to unzip qorganizer.app into the applications directory, and not into the qorganizer directory. bogomil's post that paola linked to also instructs to unzip the package within the root of the SD card, and not the root of the internal filesystem, which also explains the /mnt/ext2 part of the line in the script. I didn't pick up on that the first time I read it, so I'm probably responsible for most of your problems because I told you to unpack it into the internal filesystem. I'm sorry about that.

Do you have an SD card in the device? If so, I'd delete the stuff you've already installed and unpack the zip file into the root of the SD card, as bogomil described. You can probably do that right on your Windows machine. I didn't know that the device would also show programs from the SD card within the Applications tab, so I've learned something new today.

If you don't have an SD card, then maybe you can get everything to work by editing the qorganizer.app script and replacing all of the /mnt/ext2 parts with /mnt/ext1.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #26
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast

Hurray, it worked.
Thank you very much for your patience and help and don't worry about the complications. I really appreciate that you tried to find a solution in many ways
Thank you also Paola for the link.
I wish you both a nice year
All the best,

Aldo

P.s. it is a side note, perhaps I should open a new thread, but since I'm here I mention it.
I am also looking into pbanki/mindcraft and found the following link with the source code:
http://pbanki.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
Do you think that from the make file the app can be complied so that it could work on the PB912?
In case, how could I do it? Or where is the best place to ask to get the directions?
Thank you again for the help and support.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
P.s. it is a side note, perhaps I should open a new thread, but since I'm here I mention it.
I am also looking into pbanki/mindcraft and found the following link with the source code:
http://pbanki.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
Do you think that from the make file the app can be complied so that it could work on the PB912?
In case, how could I do it? Or where is the best place to ask to get the directions?
Thank you again for the help and support.
I'll take a look at it later tonight. If it's easy to port to sergeyvl12's SDK, I'll just upload the binary file and Makefile for the newer models.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #28
rkomar
Wizard

I modified the makefile.pb file and got it to build under sergeyvl12's SDK. The attached zip file contains the program and the modified makefile. Copy the mindcraft.app file to the /applications directory. You should also create a directory called "decks" in the same applications directory, and copy your deck files into that. I've tried the program with the capitals sample deck, and it seems to work, but I've never used mindcraft before and have no idea if it's working like it should.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mindcraft.zip (254.3 KB, 197 views)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #29
aldomenguzzi
Enthusiast

Thank you very much
I will install the app right away.