Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
How did you fix the line issue? I don't care for the compact version of Charis but it be nice if the normal version had this fixed.

I've made the normal version more darker and am using that to read at night. It's easier for my eyes than my other fonts. I think because it's so small that my tired eyes don't have to adjust as much.
I can fix up the normal version of Charis SIL for you if you'd like. The compact version was just the Modified Charis SIL with the line height adjusted until I decided it looked good. I used Type Light 3.2 to modify the metrics. 1650 and 400 for the metrics.

What settings did you use to modify Charis SIL?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #167
Treece
Treece began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use Caecilia at the 4th size setting.
Treece is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #168
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can fix up the normal version of Charis SIL for you if you'd like. The compact version was just the Modified Charis SIL with the line height adjusted until I decided it looked good. I used Type Light 3.2 to modify the metrics. 1650 and 400 for the metrics.

What settings did you use to modify Charis SIL?
I think the compact smooshes the letters to close together. I like the regular font better.

I just add a little more weight to it. I don't remember but my usually setting is 10/15 on the glyph transformer using the Bold script. It's now my main font for reading in the dark.

I can send you the copy if you like to take a look at it.

Got it! Font Creator Pro has an auto feature for metrics.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #169
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Is there any (easy) way to modify the size of a font? One of my favorite fonts on the K3 and K4 is called Fanwood Text, but on the Paperwhite it renders as either too small or too large. When viewed on the second highest setting (to the right,) it is just a shade too large. If I could either make the font a bit smaller or a bit larger, then it would be just right. Is there any program where I could do this?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #170
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Is there any (easy) way to modify the size of a font? One of my favorite fonts on the K3 and K4 is called Fanwood Text, but on the Paperwhite it renders as either too small or too large. When viewed on the second highest setting (to the right,) it is just a shade too large. If I could either make the font a bit smaller or a bit larger, then it would be just right. Is there any program where I could do this?
Font Creator Pro but it's expensive.
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #171
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I heard that there was a light version of that program available for free, is that option not available with the free version?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #172
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I heard that there was a light version of that program available for free, is that option not available with the free version?
There is no free version of Font Creator Pro. You may be thinking of Type Lite 3.2. which is free.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #173
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is no free version of Font Creator Pro. You may be thinking of Type Lite 3.2. which is free.
Yes and no. What you want can be done very easy with the free Type Light 3.2. I just did it. What might take some experimenting is what number will work for you. This is how you fix the size of the font:

Open font in Type Light, go to Font->Metrics and change the number for EM Unit size. That number says how many units of the fonts make up one em. The bigger the number the smaller the font will be, smaller number and font will get bigger. You can play with those numbers a little bit. The downside is, that linespacing will stay the same. So if you make the font smaller by increasing the em unit size, then the linespacing will increase. The other way around, making the font bigger will decrease the line spacing. Many fonts use standard 2048 units per em. The font I was playing with (Tektron Pro) is set to 1000 units per em. Since line spacing will increase by making the font smaller, I suggest you make the font bigger. If the lines are too tight, then you can just select a higher setting on the Kindle for line spacing. Here are some screenies all done with the highest font size and smallest line spacing on PW.

This is the standard look of Tektron Pro with 1000 units per em. Next screenshot is my modified version at 700 units:
As you can see the line spacing is smaller relative to the font on the modified version. Now since the font is bigger, you can choose a smaller font size setting. The jumps in size are smaller on the smaller sizes - the big ones have big steps. So all should be good for you.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think the compact smooshes the letters to close together. I like the regular font better.

I just add a little more weight to it. I don't remember but my usually setting is 10/15 on the glyph transformer using the Bold script. It's now my main font for reading in the dark.

I can send you the copy if you like to take a look at it.

Got it! Font Creator Pro has an auto feature for metrics.
I used 1650/-400 for line space squashing. I suggest playing with those numbers until you see a line spacing you personally like. I'd be interested to see your numbers when you do find ones you like.

Yes, please I'd like to see your modified Charis SIL. You can pop it up to a place like MediaFire or Dropbox and I'll grab from there. Thank you.

I made a new modified compact font using 8/9 for the auto-transform and this time I did not transform the bold or bold italic versions. Just renamed (internally) and respaced.

Did you transform the bold & bold italic or just the regular and italic? Did you use preserve side bearings.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This thread should go public. It's got some rather nice information on modifying fonts.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #176
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This thread should go public. It's got some rather nice information on modifying fonts.

I thought it already is public. And we need to keep asking questions. If nobody asks anything new any more, then we can't find a solution.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #177
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm currently using Caecilia on the third-to-largest font setting, with the widest line spacing. It's a private document, and the original font seems to be something like a 6pt Times.

I'm finding that I need a heavier font than Palatino, with wider spacing on the Paperwhite than on the K3 - something about the lighted screen makes my eyes go all wonkey otherwise.

I'm still playing with light levels and font types and sizes - dunno what I'll finally settle on. I suppose it depends on the book.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #178
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I used 1650/-400 for line space squashing. I suggest playing with those numbers until you see a line spacing you personally like. I'd be interested to see your numbers when you do find ones you like.

Did you transform the bold & bold italic or just the regular and italic? Did you use preserve side bearings.
Yes I did. I went back got the latest version of Charis and added 25/20 weight on them. It's perfect for me. I have not gotten the line issue fixed yet. I am still working on that. The auto metrics is not a good idea. It looked fine on PC but on Kindle. Bleh!

I never preserves side bearings that just makes the font look odd if you are adding weight.

I will PM you the fonts.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #179
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Yes I did. I went back got the latest version of Charis and added 25/20 weight on them. It's perfect for me. I have not gotten the line issue fixed yet. I am still working on that. The auto metrics is not a good idea. It looked fine on PC but on Kindle. Bleh!

I never preserves side bearings that just makes the font look odd if you are adding weight.

I will PM you the fonts.
You could change the line issue with what I did in post #173. Yes, dirty, but who cares if it works. Make font bigger, and line spacing will shrink on the Kindle.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #180
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You could change the line issue with what I did in post #173. Yes, dirty, but who cares if it works. Make font bigger, and line spacing will shrink on the Kindle.
That wont work. It will make Charis look different. I love how small it is and fits more words per page.

I got it! Using Type Light it's very easy to change line spacing.
I got it also with Font Creator now. Woot!

Last edited by Blossom; 01-19-2013 at 10:26 PM.