Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
tommy still
Connoisseur
tommy still doesn't littertommy still doesn't litter

Device: iPhone and Sony PRS 505
Is the Cybook for me ?

Hi I have posted elsewhere in the intro part of the forum about the Sony reader, I have since decided this is not the device for me (not enough content available, plus the windows only connect store). I am now looking at the Cybook, the only problem I have is I am using a Mac, but I understand that connecting the device will make it show up as a USB device and I can drag and drop books to the internal memory or an SD card. What about buying books in Mobipocket or other formats, can I just download them to my desktop and drag them into the Cybook or do I need some sort of windows download software like with the Sony reader. As far as I can see the Cybook doesn't ship with any software for connectivity is this the case and will I be OK with a Mac. I neglected to mention I dont want to read books on my laptop so dont require the Mobipocket reader software.
Thanks in advance for any help.
tommy still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That is correct - the CyBook will simply show up as a drive (two drives, in fact - one for the internal memory, the other for the SD card) on your Mac. You can buy Mobi books from any web site that sells them, download them to your Mac, and copy them to the CyBook.

I've had my CyBook for about a month now. It is an excellent device; I thoroughly recommend it to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The CyBook should connect fine to yourMACas USB drives for internal and SD memory.

Most Mobipocket retailers let you download the mobipocket files which you then simply have to copy to your CyBook. No extra software needed.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
tommy still
Connoisseur

Thats great thanks for the help, there is one more thing, I was looking at this book on the Mobipocket website, http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=22102
On other sites it states it can only be downloaded in certain countries, the UK (where I am ) not being one of them, I cant see any restrictions on this webpage, how often do these restrictions apply.

Last edited by tommy still; 11-29-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy still View Post
Thats great thanks for the help, there is one more thing, I was looking at this book on the Mobipocket website, http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=22102
On other sites it states it can only be downloaded in certain countries, the UK (where I am ) not being one of them, I cant see any restrictions on this webpage, how often do these restrictions apply.
I must admit that I've NEVER seen this restriction! It's certainly extremely rare. This, though, is a book of a BBC TV series, so I'd be amazed if it couldn't be downloaded in the UK .
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
tommy still
Connoisseur

I have been looking at the Bookeen website and the reader is £245 on its own, the package with the extras seems a bit expensive at £315, I already have a spare 2GB SD card. Are there other covers available beside the one on the website, and do you know the maximum size of SD card supported, cant find it on the website. Oh forgot about a mains charger, are they available, bit of a pain to have to recharge via USB all the time. Sorry to ask so many questions in one go.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'd suggest you buy the Gen3 plus the leather case; the Gen3 is very "slimline" and the case is essential to protect it, IMHO.

The max size card supported is 2GB.

USB is the only way to charge the Gen3. The charger you get in the "deluxe" package is just a normal USB mains adaptor. Any such mains adaptor will work fine.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Are there other covers available beside the one on the website...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16039
discussed alternative covers; novainvictus found
http://www.buymedge.com/p_cybook_gleather.HTML
but it's expensive.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
...the Sony reader, I have since decided this is not the device for me (not enough content available, plus the windows only connect store)
You're aware that you can convert various other formats (e.g. MS Reader .lit) into the Sony format via kovid's open-source, Python-based tools? Nothing against the Cybook, but I'm afraid that for me, the £->$ rate means that I can afford the Sony while the Gen3's out of reach.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Total mis-post. Any moderator feel free to delete this

Last edited by ashalan; 11-29-2007 at 03:20 PM.
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote