Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Interesting article in UK Guardian about International Kindle

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/book...missing-titles

In the UK Waterstones have been giving away The Lost Symbol with Sony readers.

Worth a skim.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think that the article is geared towards our brothers on the other side of the pond since all the books the author talks about, Dan Brown, Stephen King, Sarah Palin, are available on the Kindle here in the US.
I do understand though. I would be rather upset if I was always getting dinged because of where I lived. Hell, I was angry the first time I ran into a book that i could not get because I lived in the US! I didnt even want to read it in all reality but the fact that I could not read it, even if I wanted to, pissed me off.

It sure is a shame that we cant all me one big happy planet.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
I think the article is a fair reflection of how a lot of people on this side of the pond feel about Kindle. I know the geographic restrictions arent unique to Amazon, but shipping the product outside of the US with a US charger .. please!! Not to mention, no text to speech or browser! It was a rush job to say the least. Oh and tag on the $2 extra for downloading outside of the US. Yeah, we feel the love Amazon

Last edited by Hogan; 12-04-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Missed the $2 thing
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
I think the article is a fair reflection of how a lot of people on this side of the pond feel about Kindle. I know the geographic restrictions arent unique to Amazon, but shipping the product outside of the US with a US charger .. please!! Not to mention, no text to speech or browser! It was a rush job to say the least. Oh and tag on the $2 extra for downloading outside of the US. Yeah, we feel the love Amazon
The sad thing is that it is hardly a rush job either when you look at how long it actually took them to introduce this officially endorsed grey importing scheme.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The sad thing is that it is hardly a rush job either when you look at how long it actually took them to introduce this officially endorsed grey importing scheme.
Yep, that's hard to argue with!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I think that the article is geared towards our brothers on the other side of the pond since all the books the author talks about, Dan Brown, Stephen King, Sarah Palin, are available on the Kindle here in the US.
It certainly is aimed at the UK - it is published in the UK Guardian newspaper. Irony is Dan Brown is available in ePub on the UK Waterstones site, although I can't find any Stephen King.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
They are really selling 100k Kindles a week?? e-readers are definitely huge in 2010!
My friends in Australia always complain about the lack of selection with international purchases.

It's unfortunate, but hopefully pubishers will realise the huge amount of cash e-readers will bring into their coffers and get behind international licensing of ebooks.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
So no text-to-speech at all on the international version? or is it just an increase in the number of books not allowed to be read via TTS?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
twaits
twaits began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I do understand though. I would be rather upset if I was always getting dinged because of where I lived. Hell, I was angry the first time I ran into a book that i could not get because I lived in the US! I didnt even want to read it in all reality but the fact that I could not read it, even if I wanted to, pissed me off.

It sure is a shame that we cant all me one big happy planet.
Have you read the article?

Quote:
Shame there's no Philip Roth, no Toni Morrison, no Thomas Pynchon.
I searched this week for the new Pynchon and was flabbergast, that I couldn't find a single ebook by him.
twaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What do you mean "no text to speech"? The international Kindle certainly does have TTS!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
They are really selling 100k Kindles a week??
I seriously doubt it, given that PVI (the company which makes eInk screens for everybody) only has a manufacturing capacity of around 100,000 screens per month - and that's for all the device manufacturers combined.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Hogan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean "no text to speech"? The international Kindle certainly does have TTS!
Oops, I stand corrected. I still wont be singing the praises of Amazon though. My relationship with them is strictly wrt pBooks and will remain so until they come out with something which treats non-US customers as equals.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...enabled on maybe 1% of its books, yes. Big chunk went off TTS last week, had two friends screaming about it. I lol'ed.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
...enabled on maybe 1% of its books, yes. Big chunk went off TTS last week, had two friends screaming about it. I lol'ed.
I don't have a Kindle, but I remember that issue, and how Amazon gave in and allowed publishers the choice of deactivating that feature on books if they chose.

So the worst fears are coming true so far? Publishers are deactivating it by default?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just checked. Every one of my books has TTS enabled. Where do you get your figure of only 1% of books being TTS enabled, DF? If it's true, I must have been astronomically "lucky" to have had none of mine disabled.