Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Used to be new book prices dropped, now they are increasing

For more than a year I have noticed that often a new book priced around $15 or so, would eventually drop to the good ol' $9.99. I'd make a note of such books and wait them out.

Now I am chagrined to notice that the opposite is happening. I will list some books that are $9.99 to get later, and when I need some new ones, I find they have shot up in price.

So, a warning to all, who like me, get samples only: better check the price if you get to the sample end before you buy, or you may be shocked at the higher price.

Looks as though Amazon is playing games with us.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well I want the new John Irving, but they have it priced the same as the hardback! Grrr!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
It could be that the book when released was not on the NT Times Best Seller List so it was priced $15.00. Then the book made the NY Times Best Seller List and was priced at $9.99. Then when it was no longer on the list the price reverted to $15 again.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
It could be that the book when released was not on the NT Times Best Seller List so it was priced $15.00. Then the book made the NY Times Best Seller List and was priced at $9.99. Then when it was no longer on the list the price reverted to $15 again.
Sounds like it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I suppose you are correct. It should be called "The Great Amazon Pricing Yo-Yo Effect."
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
You also have to remember that amazon sells their ebooks at a loss. They make up for that with the kindle sales and from their other sources of revenue but there are speculations that amazon won't be able to keep up with their ebook prices forever. Whether that's true or not... we'll just have to wait and find out I guess.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
You also have to remember that amazon sells their ebooks at a loss. They make up for that with the kindle sales and from their other sources of revenue but there are speculations that amazon won't be able to keep up with their ebook prices forever. Whether that's true or not... we'll just have to wait and find out I guess.

How do you figure? Have you seen the costs involved?

I don't know if that is true or not. It's really not Amazon that controls the price, but the publisher, so what you are saying may very well be true, but if so I believe it is only an artificial price set based on the print book.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I don't think there is much margin in those $9.99 books for Amazon so it's always temporary it seems, they are competing with other budget ebook sellers on the 'hot' products. I've seen a couple of books go up in price so now when I see it cheap I snap it up.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
kennyc

Yep, I watched "The year of the flood go down" and bought it at approx $12.50 and then it went down to 9.99. I watched John Irving "Last Night in Twisted River" go down to 12.50 and then go back up to the same price as the hardback.

I didn't get it...

I still question that 9.99 is a "fair" price though, just as I question the same price for a MP3 Album. I'm not convinced that the cost of doing business is that high and I think the price is simply support the discount prices on the paper and CD (physical) versions...
Old 11-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I've seen the reports of Amazon losing money at the $9.99 price, and I assume they are true--Now whether the publisher would truly lose money if they lowered Amazon's cost to fit, I have no idea.

I'm weary of watching hardbook book prices rise, and I'm one of those who has resolved not to buy any Kindle book priced over $9.99.....Amazon probably doesn't care, but it is still what I'm doing! If enough people stick to that, perhaps the publishers will decide that lowering the price in return for increased volume is in their interests. But for now they are reacting to ebooks the way that the music industry tried to react to MP3s.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
kennyc

Oh, btw the John Irving book dropped back down to the $12 range today, so I bought it.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
How do you figure? Have you seen the costs involved?

I don't know if that is true or not. It's really not Amazon that controls the price, but the publisher, so what you are saying may very well be true, but if so I believe it is only an artificial price set based on the print book.
Nope, I'm not making it up.

Quote:
Amazon, which sets the price for everything it sells, is, as many people interviewed point out, losing money on a majority of Kindle editions. Although the price point for Kindle editions varies, the dominant one for hardcover bestsellers is $9.99, a price one publisher called “a killer.” (The e-tailer is pricing some of its Kindle bestsellers even more aggressively, with titles like Stephenie Meyer's New Moon, currently #4 on the Kindle bestseller list, at $6.04.) At $9.99 Amazon is selling its Kindle editions at, generally, a 60% discount; Amazon sells its print bestsellers at, on average, a 45% discount. The reigning price point in the Sony e-book store, with variations, is $11.99.

That Amazon is currently treating the bulk of Kindle editions as loss leaders—items it either breaks even on or loses on to build market share in e-book sales and to fuel the growth of the Kindle—is one of the worrisome aspects of the current system.
They mention their trademark 9.99 as a loss leader. A loss leader is basically something that is priced to entice people to buy their product or into their store but at a loss. It can be compared to the dollar menu at McDonalds. They entice customers into the restaurant with the dollar menu in hopes that the customer will purchase additional things off the dollar menu. They don't actually make any money off the dollar menu.

Article here

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6657272.html

Last edited by juj1n; 11-08-2009 at 07:44 PM.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
kennyc

Thanks for that link. Definitely puts the onus on the publishers. Which I would have assumed, but its completely out of line, but as I said elsewhere, it was already a defective model.