Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
reindeer
reindeer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
IMS Content package to ePub

Hi,

Hasn't it been on somebody's mind to develop a conversion from IMS Content package to ePub format?

Namely, e-course course management system like Moodle successfully generates IMS content package and it would be awesome if this could be converted to ePub for example, to have the full learning course on the e-book reader device.

IMS is also XML-based format like ePub, so I think that at least theoretically it shouldn't be very difficult to implement this feature

Similar suggestion was posted about 1 year ago by somebody to Moodle development forum, but unfortunately it didn't cause any actions from Moodle developers... As now I'm developing one e-course in Moodle, then I am especially interested whether it would be possible to have such feature in Calibre

P.S. And sorry if this topic is not in the right subforum - didn't know which would suit the best.
reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by reindeer View Post
P.S. And sorry if this topic is not in the right subforum - didn't know which would suit the best.
This forum is fine. Your question is about converting format to EPUB. You can also consider an enhancement request https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre
However, I suspect it would be low on the list. A developer might read it here, and the best conversion developers often read this forum.

My wife runs classes for an online school that uses Moodle. I know little about it, but they seem to use class textbooks in EPUB (often written in Word, and I get snagged to help with the conversion to EPUB). Do you want to flesh out what's in the IMS content package that would be useful if converted to EPUB?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
reindeer
reindeer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sorry for late reply.

If I understood your question correctly, then yes.

But I have dug around a bit and found out that maybe the easiest way to have transformation from ims -> epub is following:

1. Carry out html and picture files from IMS
2. Build html index/table of contents based on the imsmanifest.xml
3. Convert these html files to epub (as calibre successfully creates epub book from single index/table of contents file)

So it would be awesome if this whole procedure could be done in calibre as usual conversion.
reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote