Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
captainjack
captainjack began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Question bricked Kindle touch. Could someone help,please

Hi.
I found this forums by google. After lots of trying with frustrating results, I come here for help. Any comments will be appreciate.

back ground:
1. KT with original firmware(maybe 5.0), no jailbreak
2. Host PC with windows 7

the progress to brick:
once I found my KT couldn't connect to my wireless route(the route was ok coz my notebook connected to it well), I tried turn on and off the wireless function in KT menu several times, then it became very slow, the page refreshed uncorrectly, when I tried to touch the menu, KT responsed even slowly.
Then I pressed power button(short press)several times, And suddenly KT started to update??(could that happen? I hadn't download firmware,a I don't know if KT could download it automatically. )
the update went on and KT reset automatically two times, I had seen the screen "KT is updating...etc", and after the second reset(the LED flushed), KT just stuck in the tree screen (tree pic with the only word "kindle", no other words), it could be still recognized as a usbstorage disk in my windows 7, and I could see the documents and folders, but it only worked like a usb disk, nothing more.

what I've tried:
1. Long press(>20s) reset, full charged, the screen only: white--black--tree screen, and the reset is very quick.
2. add what this post said "https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Unbricking", reset with data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh in KT‘s usb root folder, result is no changing, though there were some file under ther root folder after reset. typical content in RUNME.err is like this:
"/mnt/us/RUNME.sh: line 1: exit
: not found
/mnt/us/RUNME.sh: line 3: can't create /mnt/us/log.txt
: Invalid argument
"
and RUNME.done and out are just empty.
3. Add or modify command in the RUNME.sh make no big difference, as adding " 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts " only adding "/mnt/us/RUNME.sh: line 4: can't create /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
: nonexistent directory" in RUNME.err

Should the "data.tar.gz debrick" method be used after jailbreak?
I found the commands in Runme.sh couldn't be executed correctly.

I have a little knowledge of linux and had only a little developping experience. Forgiving my poor knowledge and poor English, coz I'm in China and don't want to send it back to Amazon...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by captainjack; 02-06-2012 at 04:05 AM.
captainjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
captainjack
captainjack began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I've managed to run the "logging" RUNME and got the device log (as attach), but there were too many "failed" & "Err". I couldn't figure out what to do next, still ...
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (473.3 KB, 484 views)
captainjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
zepman
zepman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
I've managed to run the "logging" RUNME and got the device log (as attach), but there were too many "failed" & "Err". I couldn't figure out what to do next, still ...
I think my problem is nearly the same: My Kindle Touch bricked after downloading and installing the official 5.0.3 update from amazon. After 3 reboots the "needs repair" message appears and had disk access just for about 10 seconds after hard reset. Somehow I managed to run RUNME.sh and now it displays the "needs repair-message only if it is unplugged. When I plug the Kindle to my Netbook via usb i see "Kindle" and the tree and i can access it as disk permanently.

I attach my log.txt as log.zip because of its size.

Is it possible to start the GUI anyway?
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.zip (160.2 KB, 363 views)
zepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
zepman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post
... I plug the Kindle to my Netbook via usb i see "Kindle" and the tree and i can access it as disk permanently.
Uups. Something bad happend again: I put a file ENABLE_DIAGS like described in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1899652 and now my kindle displays permanently WHITNEY_WFO - System Diags. All topics are black on white but D) Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags is written white on black as if it is selected. Reseting to USB hid still works but there is no change to see on the display and I can not access USB disk anymore.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post
Uups. Something bad happend again: I put a file ENABLE_DIAGS like described in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1899652 and now my kindle displays permanently WHITNEY_WFO - System Diags. All topics are black on white but D) Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags is written white on black as if it is selected. Reseting to USB hid still works but there is no change to see on the display and I can not access USB disk anymore.

Diags mode is able to run the data.tar.gz fix, but it needs a different payload destination and the run.sh must "mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /dev/mmc" and then must make repairs inside /mnt/mmc/etc/* (or whatever else needs fixing).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
zepman

Geekmaster, thanks a lot for your work. I understand: different mountpoints...

but my Kindle seems to be really dead, now:
Display does not change anymore. And my Ubuntu syslog shows

Feb 7 20:21:27 zeplucidhd kernel: [ 1907.120148] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device number 16 using ehci_hcd
Feb 7 20:21:27 zeplucidhd kernel: [ 1907.255649] generic-usb: probe of 0003:15A2:0052.000D failed with error -22
Feb 7 20:21:27 zeplucidhd mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 16: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-2"
Feb 7 20:21:27 zeplucidhd mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 16 was not an MTP device

So I think i can not access USB/HID anymore. Or am i blind?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle_fail.jpeg
Views:	567
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	82277  
Old 02-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

USB HID mode (USB Recovery mode) has tools available from Freescale that can use this mode, but they only run in Windows (sb_loader and MfgTools). There are plans for a custom repair tool that uses this mode, but it is in progress.

Try holding the power button for 30 seconds, then release, then press again, to get back to diags or main boot. Because main is damaged, you need to get back to diag mode again. It can be repaired from there.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
zepman

No change. Display still as above. No blinking.
How I tried:
- Kindle plugged in (just power, no PC)
- LED is yellow
- press bowerbutton and hold
- after ~ 10 seconds LED turns of (still hold down powerbutton)
- when I release the powerbutton, the LED immediately get yellow again
- no change on display at any time

- I repeated the steps already, also trying to hold down power for about one minute
- also tried to get into USB-HID mode by pressing menu before releasing power...

No I will let it plugged in to try to charge again over night. Perhaps the LED gets green ...

Thank you and good night from Germany
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
geekmaster

What text do you get from the serial port when you reboot? If you cannot get out of USB HID Recovery mode, we need to see the error messages at the serial port. It would have been better if you had stayed in diag mode where we can fix it. At this time, USB HID mode support is not complete.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
zepman

LED still yellow while plugged in.

Hm, I don't know, how to connect to the port. On ubuntu the device does not appear. On windows I get only the message:

New device "Kindle".

But no HID anymore. Using sb_loader to list available devices:

Quote:
C:\Temp>sb_loader devices
Waiting for HID device for 2 seconds...
Device Arrival event.
HID device was not found.
Please place the device in recovery mode and restart the program.
Do you mean resetting by pressing power for about 20 seconds?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
zepman

Hello Geekmaster, I tried again on another ubuntu. Just pressing power short:
Quote:
Feb 8 22:36:22 server kernel: [138309.912322] usb 1-9: new high speed USB device number 17 using ehci_hcd
Feb 8 22:36:22 server mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 17: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.5/usb1/1-9"
Feb 8 22:36:22 server mtp-probe: bus: 1, device: 17 was not an MTP device
Feb 8 22:36:22 server kernel: [138310.048866] scsi16 : usb-storage 1-9:1.0
Feb 8 22:36:23 server kernel: [138311.049376] scsi 16:0:0:0: Direct-Access Amazon Kindle 0100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
Feb 8 22:36:23 server kernel: [138311.120505] sd 16:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg7 type 0
Feb 8 22:36:23 server kernel: [138311.123437] sd 16:0:0:0: [sdf] Attached SCSI removable disk
Feb 8 22:36:39 server kernel: [138327.033071] usb 1-9: USB disconnect, device number 17
But I can not access the storage device with fdisk:

I repeated the command again and again:
Quote:
root@server:~# fdisk /dev/sdf
fdisk: kann /dev/sdf nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
fdisk: kann /dev/sdf nicht öffnen: Kein Medium gefunden