Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Converting *from* lrf ?

As I just bought a Sony Reader, I'm downloading free classics (from here or some other sites) in BBeB format. I also buy some books (baen and others). I convert everything in BBeB with the great tools available here.
But I don't know if (when?) I will buy a new reader (who is whispering about flexible devices ? ), will I be able to re-convert everything from BBeB to other usual formats (pdf, html, rtf, ...) ?? Are there equivalent to html2lrf, pdf2lrf, etc., but the other way round (lrf2html, lrf2pdf, etc.) ??
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There is a free program called ABC Amber Sony Converter that will extract the text from an LRF file but without the formatting or graphics. There is also a program (I forget which one exactly) that will convert an LRF to an LRS file that can be edited or converted to something else.

I hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
taralon
Enthusiast
taralon has learned how to buy an e-book online

http://www.processtext.com/abcsonylrf.html

Will do that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
As I just bought a Sony Reader, I'm downloading free classics (from here or some other sites) in BBeB format. I also buy some books (baen and others). I convert everything in BBeB with the great tools available here.
But I don't know if (when?) I will buy a new reader (who is whispering about flexible devices ? ), will I be able to re-convert everything from BBeB to other usual formats (pdf, html, rtf, ...) ?? Are there equivalent to html2lrf, pdf2lrf, etc., but the other way round (lrf2html, lrf2pdf, etc.) ??
taralon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I found it easier to standardize my archive in LIT format. I have ConvertLIT, and that will reduce a file to its parts.

And I used lit2lrf to get a Sony readable file.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
lrf2lrs can convert LRF to LRS XML file, from which the text can be extracted pretty easily.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks to you all !
I'll download ABC and keep it close to my lrf files.
But, to be on the safe side, I'll keep all the originals files, whatever their format : I guess that's the best way to go...

Many thanks again !
Old 11-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
lrf2html is on my todo list, problem is ny todo list is about a mile long :-) But as igor said you can use lrf2lrs and then an xsl stylesheet pretty easily
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I found it easier to standardize my archive in LIT
Well MY standard for my diverse collection of texts, books, manuals and other reading materials is *.txt. You can't beat that in terms of "convertibility".
You can convert to any other format with a simple OOo macro, script or program hacked together on in awk, sed or vim ;-)
I went through several generations of "readers" and while I really like Sony Reader for the time being, I am pretty sure I will use other readers in the future.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
FixB
Groupie

The problem with txt is to lose all the bolds, italics, and so on... A great loss as far as I'm concerned. At least, rtf can keep this sort of things and is widespread...
edit : kovidgoyal : I don't know how we could use our sony readers if not for you
A lrf2html would be just awesome

Last edited by FixB; 11-24-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I have tended to lean towards rtf for my standard file format but with kovidogoyal's awsome tools I have been going directly to lrf latley (damn you for making it so easy!).

What I would like (being way greedy here...) is an easy way to convert from lrf to mobi format since I have the Sony Reader and my dad will be getting the Kindle. A tool to convert lrf to html and then use the existing tool to convert from html to mobi works too.

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
LRF for Kindle?

I agree -- I need LRF to some Kindle format! I was just looking at the file for Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables" and unfortunately it is in .LRF form. Which I gather won't work on my (not yet arrived) Kindle.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddorfdeb View Post
I agree -- I need LRF to some Kindle format! I was just looking at the file for Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables" and unfortunately it is in .LRF form. Which I gather won't work on my (not yet arrived) Kindle.
Or you can download it from Project Gutenberg and format it yourself for Mobipocket format. But if you do, please post a copy here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Any progress on a lrf2html tool? Preferably something that works with linux
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Still haven't found the time to get around to it
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Any progress on a lrf2html tool? Preferably something that works with linux
All of Libprs500 works with Linux. So any additional modules/programs will as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote