Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #106
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I'm just wondering how much of that research was done on people with over-40 eyes? It's not something that's usually discussed until your peer group passes that mark, but your visual acuity starts to change. As you progess onward, and as women go through the "Change", problems like decreased tear production start to affect your eyes. Staring at LCD screens seems to exacerbate that problem, tiring out the eyes sooner.

So all of you folks who don't have problems with LCD screens now - just wait.
I'm 54 and seriously post-menopausal. LCD screens work fine for me. Until I bought a Nook (classic ) last night I all my reading of ebooks (dozens in a couple of months) has been on a netbook with no problems at all.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #107
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I posted a message on the BN Nook boards about the MS Office issue, and an admin confirmed that Office docs will be read-only, but I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why that functionality has been disabled in the QuickOffice app on the NC.

I mean, wouldn't that be a BIG selling point? It is with me.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #108
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Look up "Computer Vision Syndrome".

While it may not be limited to computers, it certainly is a fairly big problem.

Personally, I bought an e-reader because I cannot read from an LCD screen on a computer. My eyes water too much. Don't have that problem with books (or my Kindle).

Besides, an LCD is basically like staring at a Florescent Light. Is it really good to be staring at a light for hours on end? E-ink pretty much uses reflected ambient light. Why you can probably compensate by raising the light levels in your room, LCDs are pretty bright, even on low brightness settings.

Last edited by JeremyR; 10-29-2010 at 06:32 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #109
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Of course there are going to be a lot of people over age 40 who have no problem whatsoever with LCD screens.

What I was wondering, though, was what was the percentage of their research involved people who are over 40? Or are they even giving any importance to that market?

I developed cataracts at an earlier-than-usual age due to medication side effects and have artificial lenses in both eyes, and I can speak for myself when I say that yes, I can be on the computer for hours at a time, but as time passes I do notice a marked decrease in the sharpness of my vision, to the point where I just finally shut the computer down. I hear my friends complaining about how they just can't stare at the computer screen like they used to without their eyes bothering them.

I don't have a problem with tired eyes when reading either my reflective LCD reader or my e-ink one. So for me, the reading experience on those devices and on an LCD computer monitor are totally different.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #110
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
From what I've seen of the NC, the only thing preventing it from being a 7" Android tablet is an Android style launcher, there are many available on the Market now, how long do you think it will take the boys over at XDA-developers to do that?

From what I've seen of the NC, the only thing preventing it from being a full blown 7" Android tablet is an Android style launcher. There are many available on the Market now, how long do you think it will take the boys over at XDA-developers to do that?

I remember the iPhone jailbreak debacle. Even Jobs Almighty couldn't prevent folks from doing what they wanted with their own property.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #111
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I posted a message on the BN Nook boards about the MS Office issue, and an admin confirmed that Office docs will be read-only, but I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why that functionality has been disabled in the QuickOffice app on the NC.

Bummer. I was so excited when I saw the "view and edit" on MS office docs.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #112
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

Are you sure they are using QuickOffice, and not the free version of Documents to Go? That will read but not edit files and is frequently pre-loaded on Android boxes.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #113
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Are you sure they are using QuickOffice, and not the free version of Documents to Go? That will read but not edit files and is frequently pre-loaded on Android boxes.
That's quite feasible, because it keeps costs down.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #114
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I've seen this debate over and over on MR. Has anyone made a poll with age group/screen preference?

I think that it'll boil down to some with a real medical need and others with just a preference. And 100,000 opinions from 1,000 people, of course.

For me though, I've used computers from before VGA days and now have two large LCD monitors. I've read a lot on all of them, but full ebooks mostly on the LCDs. At 60 I have no problems reading from a monitor even with poor eyesight.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #115
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The website says QuickOffice.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #116
wodin
Illiterate

Yea, I just discovered that my EVO has a crippled version of QO pre-loaded. No editing capability.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #117
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Anyone knows the specification of the Nook Color battery. I don't mean the advertized rating which is supposed to be 8 hours of reading with WiFi off. That can vary depending on the intensity of the LCD, reading habits and other factors. I am more interested in the battery specification in terms of mAH. The iPad is rated at 6600 mAH and the Galaxy Tablet is 4000 mAH. How does the nook color compare to these two?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #118
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Anyone knows the specification of the Nook Color battery. I don't mean the advertized rating which is supposed to be 8 hours of reading with WiFi off. That can vary depending on the intensity of the LCD, reading habits and other factors. I am more interested in the battery specification in terms of mAH. The iPad is rated at 6600 mAH and the Galaxy Tablet is 4000 mAH. How does the nook color compare to these two?
Also in the 4000s about 4010 mAH. That why I was little surprised when someone mentioned that Galaxy has better battery life earlier in the thread.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #119
Rebo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
Also in the 4000s about 4010 mAH. That why I was little surprised when someone mentioned that Galaxy has better battery life earlier in the thread.
Thanks.

Since both the Nook Color and the Galaxy Tab has 7" display and similar battery capacity of around ~ 4000 mAH, it seems their battery life should be comparable to one another. The iPad has a 10.1" display with a battery capacity of 6600 mAH; however, they claimed they have a proprietary chip to optimize performance and increase battery life so they are probably in a different category.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #120
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here are two pics of the iPad's battery. The first one shows it still inside the case. Notice how much space it takes up. The second shot shows it removed with a white iPhone battery on top for scale.

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, nook, nookcolor