Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Firestorm
Firestorm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fictionwise books and Sony Reader ?

Hi,

I just got my Sony PRS 505 yesterday. So i was looking for some books. I'm interested in Christoper Moores "Fool". On the webpage they showed that this is available in Microsoft Reader and Mobipocket format. Hmm i haven't found these formats in the WIKI what this device can handle.
Also i assume that these files are protected. So is it right that even when i want to buy this ebook i can't use it on my Sony ?
Do i have a chance to get this book somewhere else in a format which is supported by my device ?

Thanks for your help
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

In Fictionwise it’s also in eReader format - but that does not work with your 505 too.

Sony eBook store has it:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/chr...00000000112408

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 03-12-2009 at 09:20 AM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I would also like to know the answer to this. I know how to download Multi-format, but nothing about the secure books (which are most of them).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Firestorm

Ah ok, thanks DDHarriman, i had not even thaught to take a look at the sony bookstore for this. Then i will buy it from there. This solves at least for now the problem with the format.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Check the Sony website (in the licrary software, left column, click "bookstore") and Books on Board. Also Baen. They sell non-DRM books and/or LRF and Beb, which will read natively on your reader.

Also, anything that is PDF will work, but the ones that are "secure" Adobe Digital Edition seem to work best. Often this is available from Fictionwise.

And of course, ePub, which works great also. This is an up-and-comer that is showing up everywhere. There is some hope out there that it may win the day and become the standard ebook format.

Good Luck, Happy eBook Hunting, and Happy Reading!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi lilac-jive

Can you be more specific?
Are you asking how to read protected eBooks in formats that the 505 can not naturaly read, or are you asking how to download and read secure eBooks from Fictionwise?

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Firestorm

Oh damn. I live in germany, with the device they shipped version 2.4 of the library software which does not point to the sony store. When i try to install version 2.5 is says "not supported in your region" and stops the installation. Great, so now the prevent me for buying items....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi lilac-jive

Can you be more specific?
Are you asking how to read protected eBooks in formats that the 505 can not naturaly read, or are you asking how to download and read secure eBooks from Fictionwise?

Best,
Download secure eBooks for my Reader I wanted to buy some of the books that were on the bestseller promo, but I don't know which ones to buy and download, and if they even look good on my 505.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Download secure eBooks for my Reader I wanted to buy some of the books that were on the bestseller promo, but I don't know which ones to buy and download, and if they even look good on my 505.
This is something I would like to know also.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
kougei
kougei began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
You need to invest some more time, reading and searching these forums.

There are ways of buying Microsoft Reader, Ereader, or Mobipocket 'protected' books from Fictionwise, and others, and using them with your Sony Reader.

You need to learn how to bypass/remove the DRM, and convert them to LRF, which the Sony Reader can support, using Calibre. Once you know how to do it, you need to decide where you stand morally, ethically, and legally in your location, and then decide if you want to do it.
kougei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For the Sony Reader, you need to buy PDF or ADE (ePub) books. All the major bookstores sell these formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For the Sony Reader, you need to buy PDF or ADE (ePub) books. All the major bookstores sell these formats.
Be warned some stores call PDF Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) while others use this term for ePub.

As far as Fictionwise goes they only sell PDF at this time, no ePub. Books on Board sells both formats and has a page explaining how they differentiate. Not sure on other stores.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all for your answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Be warned some stores call PDF Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) while others use this term for ePub.

As far as Fictionwise goes they only sell PDF at this time, no ePub. Books on Board sells both formats and has a page explaining how they differentiate. Not sure on other stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As you can see, a simple question (to me) can generate more than one answer. I have spent time reading the various threads and there always seems to be a "but if you" add-on to most everything.
I have the Sony 505 and have been downloading lrf., free lrx., epub., and pdf. I don't see any file extensions that say ADE just Adobe Acrobat Document (.pdf)

I am somewhat "tech challenged" and so do better when I can see how something is done. Playing with stripping DRM is not something I am
comfortable in doing.

As I wanted to support Fictionwise, I wanted to know which format would show and work best on my reader.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
As I wanted to support Fictionwise, I wanted to know which format would show and work best on my reader.
From Fictionwise if you are wanting 'Secure' books, which most stuff from the big publishers is then you'll want Secure Adobe. These are PDF's and they are the only secure format that FW carries that works on the Sony. However you won't find any really recent title there in that format as they haven't added any to their site since January 2008.

FW sells a lot of secure books in MS Reader and Mobipocket format, but to use those you'd need to remove the DRM and then convert them with Calibre. I know you said you weren't comfortable doing this just thought it'd give you a more complete answer.

FW also sells books in what they call Multiformat. Those are not DRM protected and can be downloaded in LRF (Sony) format.

I know you said you wanted to support FW, but since they haven't added any Secure Adobe books since January 2008 you may need to look at Books On Board or somewhere else if you're wanting more recent titles.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-13-2009 at 07:28 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
FW sells a lot of secure books in MS Reader and Mobipocket format, but to use those you'd need to remove the DRM and then convert them with Calibre. I know you said you weren't comfortable doing this just thought it'd give you a more complete answer.
I appreciate your more detailed answer to me. Later, I may try my hand at playing with files again but, since I am still recovering from a complete laptop crash (beyond the worth of recovery), I think I will wait until I learn the new laptop system (Vista Premium).

Although, I don't particularly want to buy secure books, if I do buy and it is DRM, I would prefer it was is a format that might someday transfer to another reader.

Quote:
FW also sells books in what they call Multiformat. Those are not DRM protected and can be downloaded in LRF (Sony) format.
I believe I have come across this in zipped files that contained the lrf format.

again, for taking the time to explain it to me.