Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #76
sonofpendragon
Member Retired
sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Not sure

Odd isn't it? For years and years, without even trying, I was reading an average of about 120 books a year. I joined in with the challenge this year . . . and trailed off badly, I think I am weighing in at around 68 /69/ 70 which obviously won't change much now in 4 days. This is very surprising as I had reached 50 odd by April. Perhaps last winter's snow allowed me to concentrate on reading more, dunno for sure but maybe it was that.

So, I will join in the thread, but I am not setting any targets. That can be a bit of a fun-killer to be honest, so will just read when I really feel like it.

SofP
sonofpendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #77
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I must admit that with me it's sometimes a case of setting aside time for other things apart from reading...
Same here! Since getting a Kindle, my other hobbies/interests have taken a serious backseat. I want to return to a few of these hobbies, while still hoping to read at (only) a slightly reduced pace. No idea how it'll play out
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #78
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
My reading goal for 2012 is to just read and enjoy. I'm looking forward to re-reading books by my favorite authors like Jeffrey Archer, Ken Follett and early Stephen King.

If I had to put a numerical value to that goal, then I'll maybe shoot for 100 again.

As for the 2011 Reading Challenge, I'm on my 100th book! I might be able to squeeze in one more before the new year but it might be tight.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #79
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
On June 2nd, 2011, I was in a near fatal motorcycle wreck and spent the better part of three months on pain killers. Even after getting off the pain killers, I found it very hard to concentrate on reading for another couple of months.

As of Dec. 27, I am less than half way through Drood by Dan Simmons. I expect to finish it by New Years, but I probably won't start anything else until New Years Day. I made it through 58 books, with a five month period where I only read three books. Not counting those five months, I averaged 8 books a month. I think I shall try again for 2012 and hopefully won't spend five months with my brain addled.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #80
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm going to set my goal at 25,000 pages, I got close to that this year so I'll try to get a bit more next year.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #81
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I've made my reading goal for 2012. It is basically to read 50 books, but I will be counting by page numbers instead of books read. I've averaged it out to 260 pages per book, which times 50 equal 13,000 pages as my goal for the year.

As far as a counter, I will still be counting by books to keep things simple as I'd rather count to 50 than to 13,000, though in a quirk I won't be counting actual specific books read but rather how many "260 pages" I've read. So if I read a 520 page book, by the time I get to page 260 I will have read one "book" and by the time I get to the end I will have read two "books".

Any extra pages left over I will add to the next book until I hit 260 again. And this way I can also count short stories easily and any pages I read of unfinished books.

I will not worry about any difference between types of pages. I will go by what the ebook or paper book tells me.

This year I'm also making a 2012 TBR list. First, on the list will be every selection from the general book club and the literary book club for 2012. This should make about 24 books. If a selection is made that I've already read, then I won't read it, but otherwise I plan to try to read every book selected for both of the clubs.

That leaves 26 more books. I will pick 13 now and leave 13 open to my whims during the year. Of the 13 I'm picking now, some are books I've started but not finished yet, some are books from my general TBR list, and some are part of my goal to read the complete works of Lewis Carroll.

So my 50 for 2012 are:
  • 23 to-be-determined book club books
  • Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse (January general book club pick already determined)
  • Ulysses by James Joyce
  • Middlemarch by George Eliot (halfway through already)
  • A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (halfway through already)
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (halfway through already)
  • Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  • A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
  • The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
  • The Annotated Hunting of the Snark by Lewis Carroll, Martin Gardner
  • Sylvie and Bruno by Lewis Carroll
  • Sylvie and Bruno Concluded by Lewis Carroll
  • Phantasmagoria and Other Poems by Lewis Carroll
  • A Tangled Tale by Lewis Carroll
  • The Game of Logic by Lewis Carroll
  • Iliad by Homer (first whim and sooner than expected/reading group project; see a few posts down)
  • 12 more to-be-determined books open to my whims

For me, this will be a challenging list to complete and I look forward to, well, the challenge!

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-29-2011 at 01:49 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 AM   #82
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
My goal will be to read 100 books in 2012 the same as in 2011. The first 1/2 of the year (before my life got 'interesting' and I spent more time supporting hubby in hospital & rehab than reading) proved that I can easily read 100 books a year if life is somewhat predictable. Keeping my goal at 100 will allow me to re-read the Outlander and maybe even the Earth Children series' without worrying about 'falling behind' in my book count.

I think someone came up with 'average # of pages per book' and used that to average out the longer books with the shorter ones. Does anyone remember tha formula? I might just use it instead of actual book count this year. Either way I'll let Goodreads do the counting for me.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #83
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
2012 Illiad Group Read (starting 9th January)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
That leaves 26 more books. I will pick 13 now and leave 13 open to my whims during the year. Of the 13 I'm picking now, some are books I've started but not finished yet, some are books from my general TBR list, and some are part of my goal to read the complete works of Lewis Carroll.

So my 50 for 2012 are:

<snip>
No Iliad?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #84
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
D'oh! I forgot about the Iliad when making the list. OK, well now I know one of my whims!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #85
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
I'm so antsy to get going with next year, I'm having trouble finding things to read this week. "Oh, no, I want to save that book for next year." I'm not sure what that's all about.
I'm with you. I work for a newspaper and every year they sell the books sent for review to raise money for charity. It's awesome. I uaually get several hundered dollars worth of brand new books for about $30-40. I got several books early this month which I am saving for 2012, including the new Stephen King, the new Jayne Krentz and the complete Christmas stories of Charles Dickens (alas I got it to late to read for MBR December book club). I also ordered the new Sony Reader wi-fi and it should come tomorrow. I'm really excited. So between DTB and E-books I'm looking forward to starting on my 100 books for 2012.

Happy New Reading Year everybody!
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #86
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No Iliad?
Is that still starting on January 9th? How are you setting it up?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #87
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
No Iliad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I don't suppose I can persuade you to postpone The Iliad and instead begin with The Epic of Gilgamesh. I'd forgotten about Gilgamesh, which pre-dates Homer by a couple thousand years.

There are recent translations that are putatively superior to what was available 30 years ago. They've improved both accuracy and "readability".

Last edited by Kevin8or; 12-29-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #88
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Still starting January 9th. I plan to start a thread next Monday, January 2nd, laying out the parameters so people can get started. Hope that works for you.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #89
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Still starting January 9th. I plan to start a thread next Monday, January 2nd, laying out the parameters so people can get started. Hope that works for you.
Just wanted to know what to expect. I'm looking forward to it. I will be very proud of myself if I get through the whole thing.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #90
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
D'oh! I forgot about the Iliad when making the list. OK, well now I know one of my whims!
And of course you'll want to follow it up with The Odyssey, before you tackle Ulysses.