Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the top and bottom bar in reading mode made smaller?
no, it's perfect. I'm a Kobo employee 0 0%
no, I like it as it is 3 6.67%
no, I like it but I do understand that others would like it to be smaller and/or optional 9 20.00%
no, the size fine but I wish it was optional 5 11.11%
yes, I wish it was smaller 1 2.22%
yes, I wish it was smaller and optional 15 33.33%
yes, I wish it was smaller and/or optional but I don't believe it will be picked up by Kobo 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Should size of the book information bars be changed?

One of the most debated issues is the presence and the actual size of the information bars at the top and bottom of the screen in reading mode.
The top bar displays the book title of the opened book, while the bottom bar displays the current page and total number of pages of the chapter (kepub) or book (epub). And therefore require no user input.

This is about the header and footer in reading mode and must not be confused with the header and footer that are displayed in menu mode to adjust reading preferences or to navigate through a book.

What is you opinion? Vote!

For illustrational purposes only: a mock up of reduced top and bottom bars, where
  • the displayed text size is identical to the current implemented size.
  • the surrounding margins are reduced to the same height of the text size
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_Top_Bar_Reading_Mode.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	107642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo_Bottom_Bar_Reading_Mode.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	107643  

Last edited by Anak; 07-04-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
It doesn't bother me to any extreme, but it would be nice to see the top/bottom bar minimized, or perhaps just have an optional full-screen mode.

I could actually see that as something Kobo could use as a selling feature. More power to the reader!
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I still think it should be an option to have. Sure, set it up as a default but leave it up to the user to decide if they want it that way.

IMO, I don't mind having the page count at the bottom, and I understand why they'd put the title at the top (just like a real book) but I really don't think it's necessary to sacrifice screen real estate for that, particularly not on the smaller screen of the Kobo Mini.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I don't like the wasted space either at the top or the bottom. There's no reason you need to take up space with the book title at the top. And the bottom bar space is at least 2.5x the height it needs to be.

Here's a comparison showing the Sony bottom bar next to the Kobo Glo. That's the height I'd like to see on the Kobo, there's no reason to need anything larger than that. Takes up minimal space yet plenty of room to show information.

And the ideal choice would be to have both settings be an option, where you can turn them off completely if you choose, especially since I think they'll never reduce the size of the bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BottomBar.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	107692  
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I would like the bars to be smaller, but also important is what is displayed in the bars. I do not want a top bar. I want to see current page location in the book in the bottom bar. I am not interested in page position in the chapter unless it is also accompanied by position in the whole book. I won't use kepubs for this reason.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I agree with you about the kepubs after having finally tried them. I really hate not having the total page count and just the chapter. If only one or the other, I'll always want the book page count, not a chapter count. A choice to display both would be great, but knowing Kobo, they'd probably stack it one on top of the other display instead of side by side, making the bottom bar height even taller than it is now.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
One of the most debated issues is the presence and the actual size of the information bars at the top and bottom of the screen in reading mode.
The top bar displays the book title of the opened book, while the bottom bar displays the current page and total number of pages of the chapter (kepub) or book (epub). And therefore require no user input.

This is about the header and footer in reading mode and must not be confused with the header and footer that are displayed in menu mode to adjust reading preferences or to navigate through a book.

What is you opinion? Vote!

For illustrational purposes only: a mock up of reduced top and bottom bars, where
  • the displayed text size is identical to the current implemented size.
  • the surrounding margins are reduced to the same height of the text size
Actually, I think features that provide optional information such as title/time/date and reading stats etc should be an optional display. Meaning if you the reader wish to utilize these concepts then you should have the option to turn them on and tweak them as you see them working for you.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
BWinmill
Nameless Being

It doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other.

It would be nice to have a larger displayable area for the text. On the other hand, I can understand why Kobo wants to reserve the space. (Simply put: it's bad form to have a menu cover the text, especially while reading or creating highlights and annotations.)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I think BWinmill has it right. The spacing is based not on the text in the header/footer, but on the area taken up when menu mode is entered.

Anak those are great screenshots. Any chance you'd be interested in doing some when menu mode is on?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'd also like the option to make the bottom bar black again. It might be a non-issue with the Aura, but the Glo does have a little headlamping, and the black bar kills that distraction perfectly.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
It doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other.

It would be nice to have a larger displayable area for the text. On the other hand, I can understand why Kobo wants to reserve the space. (Simply put: it's bad form to have a menu cover the text, especially while reading or creating highlights and annotations.)
I don't care about a few extra page turns and on the Aura at least some bottom menu items still cover up the text, but again I don't care as I do not usually read and use the menu at the same time.

I like the way epubs are displayed in 2.61 with a little space at the top. But I would like it to be optional for those that prefer no spaces or bigger spaces etc. Why not one wonders as they seem to have a few other options that actually work for the most part.

Still I have the ultimate options of replacing my Kobo readers or reading on my T1 although it does not have as good a display, but is less aggravating Currently I keep the T1 at work for reading on my break

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I would like the bars to be smaller, but also important is what is displayed in the bars. I do not want a top bar. I want to see current page location in the book in the bottom bar. I am not interested in page position in the chapter unless it is also accompanied by position in the whole book. I won't use kepubs for this reason.
I don't care for the chapter numbers either. Strangely enough I find no page numbers far less irritating than chapter numbers without page numbers.

Probably Kobo is copying the Android free apps such as Moon+ reader. At least they didn't copy Amazons location numbers.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
I personally have a cautious approach to all kinds of "options". Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're a tempting "solution" when not knowing what to do.

But smaller? Yes! Make sure the use of every pixel is justified!

Just my two cents...
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote