Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2024, 02:20 AM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Kobo has color e-readers coming out in April

Per engadget and The Verge Kobo is releasing color e-ink versions of the Libra and Clara. More here:
https://www.engadget.com/kobos-new-e...040153210.html
https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/10/2...r-kindle-e-ink

I'm expecting color Kindle's in their fall lineup. Maybe spring, but they've got to be close now.

Libra: https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...gn=LibraColour

Clara: https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...gn=ClaraColour

There's also a new Clara BW model with a faster processor and slightly cheaper price:
https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...mpaign=ClaraBW

Edit: Looks like I was a little slow and this is already reported in the Kobo forum. I think it's general news-worthy to those without a specific interest in Kobo. Here's the link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=360267

Last edited by Dazrin; 04-10-2024 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Added Kobo forum link.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
folks that can't read comfortably on a tablet have my sympathies.

I have a Kindle eInk reader and it's nice for being light and long battery life. Frankly, I don't read outside in bright sunlight to really appreciate its advantage over a tablet.

I'll pass on color eInk
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 10:56 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Really. Why would we need your sympathies? We have our eink readers on which we can read very comfortably.

As to color eink, I'm not interested either. I mostly read straight black and white novels, and for web articles I can use my laptop or a tablet; it's only novels I want to read on eink. I don't read comics, mangas, PDF files etc. So black-and-white eink devices are entirely sufficient for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:04 AM   #4
Pam R
Connoisseur
Pam R began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I wonder if that will mean the black and white Clara 2E will come down in price.
Pam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:44 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam R View Post
I wonder if that will mean the black and white Clara 2E will come down in price.
It's more expensive on Spanish site than the new Clara BW
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2024, 11:46 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Really. Why would we need your sympathies? We have our eink readers on which we can read very comfortably.
Exactly. But this is about COLOR eInk. I sympathize with those who can't read comfortably on a tablet AND want/need color.

4096 "colors", 16 shades of gray is terrible compared to a tablet.

But, if that's what you need because a tablet just won't do - you have my sympathies.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:59 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Exactly. But this is about COLOR eInk. I sympathize with those who can't read comfortably on a tablet AND want/need color.
I think that group is vanishingly small. Mostly, I think ereaders just needed something new and color screens are it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:04 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

4096 "colors", 16 shades of gray is terrible compared to a tablet.

But, if that's what you need because a tablet just won't do - you have my sympathies.
What is the battery life like on your tablet?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #9
bunnyhero
bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:
you're assuming it's "can't", and not "would rather not." no need to be condescending.

yes, obviously the colour will be much worse than a tablet, but there are many factors involved, colour quality being just one of them. for example, it might be useful if you read a lot of technical books with colour diagrams—distinguishing between the blue line on a graph and a green one could be important
bunnyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 01:44 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What is the battery life like on your tablet?
Infinite. Because I don't read 24x7 and have no problem plugging my devices in to charge.

Seriously, I have never once been reading and my device powered off.

"But what about a long plane trip or camping". Battery packs.

I'll take "beautiful full color" and "charge over night" over washed out, 16 levels of grey, 4096 color pallet.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhero View Post
you're assuming it's "can't", and not "would rather not." no need to be condescending.
Sure there is.

yes, obviously the colour will be much worse than a tablet, but there are many factors involved, colour quality being just one of them. for example, it might be useful if you read a lot of technical books with colour diagrams—distinguishing between the blue line on a graph and a green one could be important [/QUOTE]

Hope you don't have books with more subtle color variations. Or something ultra rare, like a color photo.

But yes, I am happy that those who "can't" read a tablet now have something resembling color on an eInk device.

For those who merely prefer it - well, you've been able to have all the color you'd ever want or need for decades. So, I have no strong emotion of empathy for that.

Enjoy the washed out colors.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:21 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have PocketBook InkPad Color 4.

The way to look at it is not 'it is worse than a tablet' but rather 'color is nice to have on an eInk device'. It's glass half full.

For example you see thumbnails in your Library in color, you sometimes see headings in color, etc. You can use different highlight colors. All of this is to the good, and for me, good enough that I'm happy I have this device.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:05 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

I have a Kindle eInk reader and it's nice for being light and long battery life. Frankly, I don't read outside in bright sunlight to really appreciate its advantage over a tablet.

I'll pass on color eInk
I will pass on color eInk also, but I see no need to be "sympathetic" to those who want or need color eReaders. I have even less interest in reading on a tablet, so if I did have a need to read in color, I would choose a color eReader over a tablet.

The fact that Kobo is releasing color eReaders (both for the Kobo and Tolino brands) and PocketBook continues to develop and release them must mean that there is a some market for them.

Choice is good. You choose tablets, others choose color eReaders. No need for your faux "sympathy" just because others choose differently.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-10-2024 at 05:07 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:14 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
So now that PocketBook, Kobo and Tolino have color eReaders, the question is when (or if) Amazon will come out with one or more.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 05:25 PM   #15
bunnyhero
bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.bunnyhero has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhero View Post
Sure there is.
you haven't demonstrated that there is any need to be condescending here.

Quote:
Enjoy the washed out colors
why are you directing this at me? did i say anywhere that i wanted this ereader? read carefully.
bunnyhero is offline   Reply With Quote