Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
curiositykt
curiositykt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Unhappy Kindle 1 suddenly not working!

Yesterday I went to turn on my kindle after having not used it in a week. The battery was dead so I plugged it in and let it charge for a little while. After half an hour or so I got impatient and unplugged it and turned it on. It came on and I downloaded my latest updates and started reading a new magazine that had shown up. A few pages into the magazine it suddenly was non responsive and the page had frozen. So I tried to turn it off and on, no luck. Then I tried to go back to the menu screen, no luck. Then I tried to put it in to screensaver mode, no luck. Then I opened up the back and pressed the reset button. At this point black lines started to populate the screen. I took out the battery and put it back in. I tried reset button again. I plugged it in to see if perhaps it was the battery (the light came on) and left it until the light went off.. but nothing changed.

This is how it looks now:

http://twitpic.com/17mn81

I've had it for 13 months, so it's out of warranty. I'm all for trying to repair it myself, but I don't have any idea what is wrong with it.
curiositykt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Even though it is out of warranty call Customer Service - they can talk you through some diagnostic tests to see what is going on. I've also seen posts where they offer discounts on replacing out of warranty Kindles if there is a non-user caused problem (i.e. screen controller dies). Let us know!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiositykt View Post
...This is how it looks now:

http://twitpic.com/17mn81

My condolences to you.

I don't know what I'd do if that happened to my Kindle! Um, actually, I'd replace it, but I'm not sure what with....
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
curiositykt
curiositykt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I called customer service and there wasn't anything they could do to fix the one I had, but since I was such a great customer they replaced it as if it were under warranty! With a kindle 1 and not a kindle 2! (at my request, I really much prefer the kindle 1, my dad has a kindle 2 and I just can't get used to it)

Thank you for suggesting I call, I would never have thought they could help!
curiositykt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I called customer service and there wasn't anything they could do to fix the one I had, but since I was such a great customer they replaced it as if it were under warranty! With a kindle 1 and not a kindle 2! (at my request, I really much prefer the kindle 1, my dad has a kindle 2 and I just can't get used to it)

Wow, what a great story!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm SO glad you called - there have been many posts about Amazon CS really helping folk with Kindles that stop working b/c of internal failures (not been dropped) - either outright replacing them or offering a discount on a replacement. Splendid!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:

Wow, good for you!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display, frozen, kindle