Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Buying books from a different region

How is this done with Kobo? I know it's possible from what others have said. There are a few books which UK publishers don't want to sell to me. I know they're begging me to pirate them but I'd like to be good and buy them even if that means buying the US versions. If I do buy the US versions, are these available in my library just like normal books or do I need to use a VPN to read these books?

These are the third book in the Acacia series by David Anthony Durham which hasn't even been published in paper form when they published the previous two books and nearly all of Tad Williams' books. I want to give them my money but obviously they're too stupid to take it.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
It's actually pretty easy. All you have to do is to go into your account and under the payment information tab, change your country, then hit save at the bottom of the page. You don't have to change the rest of your address at all. Sometimes the postal/zip code is incompatible with the new country's format and if you enter the suggested number it will be accepted.

The book appears in your account just like any other book bought from your country's specific Kobo store.

I haven't done it a lot so others with more experience will probably have better advice.

Edit: Also, you have to have the payment information cleared before you can change locations.

Last edited by llcj; 12-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a lot.

I use Paypal as my payment method so I probably won't have to change it.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, it's probably fair to point out that this is probably not a practice sanctioned by Kobo's terms and conditions of service (or whatever it is called.)
Old 12-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Also, it's probably fair to point out that this is probably not a practice sanctioned by Kobo's terms and conditions of service (or whatever it is called.)
This is why I only pay with gift cards and have three Kobo accounts - one that my device is registered to for warranty and replacement issues but with no books to sync to my device, one for books I have purchased in my country, and one account that goes on vacation.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
corroonb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Of course but as with the contests which anyone can enter multiple times, I think it's clear that they tolerate this practice by not using geo-location which is laughably easy to implement.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
Of course but as with the contests which anyone can enter multiple times, I think it's clear that they tolerate this practice by not using geo-location which is laughably easy to implement.
And by realizing that geo-location is also close to laughably easy to bypass so implementing it is pretty useless.

I'm tempted to suggest that what Kobo (and quite a few others do) allows them to say we are trying to keep people from buying books from the wrong region without actually interfering with selling books.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
llcj
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And by realizing that geo-location is also close to laughably easy to bypass so implementing it is pretty useless.

I'm tempted to suggest that what Kobo (and quite a few others do) allows them to say we are trying to keep people from buying books from the wrong region without actually interfering with selling books.

Regards,
David
I'm thinking pretty much the same thing. It's so easy to change country that you can almost see the little Kobo smiley guy going nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
corroonb
Addict

Well, I'm done and that was suspiciously easy and uncomplicated. I was temporarily a resident of Alaska for tax purposes and now have all of Mary Renault's historical novels (this was a big surprise as I didn't even know they were available anywhere in ebook) and Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series. The only problem I had is that syncing while switched to a different country deleting most of the previews from my device for some reason but it's easy to redownload them and I don't need many of them on the device.