Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Question Multipe books of the same format

I know Calibre supports only one file per format per book. I don't ask that that be changed, but I'm asking for a creative solution to my problem. Please think with me!

The situation. I create my own PDF files (using LaTeX). These are made up specifically for my 5" BeBook Mini. Recently, I bought myself a gift: a Pyrus Mini. This is a 4.3" reader and I find the 5" PDF's are slightly too large (as in: the fonts will become slightly too small to read comfortably).

So, I created another template for my PDF generation to generate a new PDF, specifically for that 4.3" screen. But I also want to keep the 5" versions for my BBMini....

I wonder what would be the best way to save both versions. Should I create a new Library, with only those 4.3" PDF's? Or should I add them in my current Library as a second book, with the same metadata? Or should I not put them in Calibre anyway and go back to my old system of having a folder I'll copy to that Pyrus? Any ideas?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
My personal choice would be to not use the pdf format at all... 8)
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Multipe books of the same format

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I know Calibre supports only one file per format per book. I don't ask that that be changed, but I'm asking for a creative solution to my problem. Please think with me!

The situation. I create my own PDF files (using LaTeX). These are made up specifically for my 5" BeBook Mini. Recently, I bought myself a gift: a Pyrus Mini. This is a 4.3" reader and I find the 5" PDF's are slightly too large (as in: the fonts will become slightly too small to read comfortably).

So, I created another template for my PDF generation to generate a new PDF, specifically for that 4.3" screen. But I also want to keep the 5" versions for my BBMini....

I wonder what would be the best way to save both versions. Should I create a new Library, with only those 4.3" PDF's? Or should I add them in my current Library as a second book, with the same metadata? Or should I not put them in Calibre anyway and go back to my old system of having a folder I'll copy to that Pyrus? Any ideas?
You can have duplicate titles (just creates a second line item), then to differentiate between the dupes create a column that tells you 5" or 4.3".

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
You can have duplicate titles (just creates a second line item), then to differentiate between the dupes create a column that tells you 5" or 4.3".

A second line item? What's that?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
A simpler solution that I'd probably use is if a book had multiple copies for specific devices, I would add that in the file name, so I was also sure I transferred the correct copy to the correct device. Such as "The Shining 4.3" and "The Shining 5". If there was only one copy, it would stay as "The Shining", so again I'd know it's not the correct format for the 4.3" device.

By a second line item, I'm pretty sure he just means the book will be listed twice, but you'll have created a custom column which will show 5" or 4.3". With my solution, you'd have pretty much the same, a second line for the books, but no custom columns.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That's the whole reason why PDF is generally unsuitable as an eBook format. Pour the text into an epub container, let the device and user be in control of page and font size.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
That's the whole reason why PDF is generally unsuitable as an eBook format. Pour the text into an epub container, let the device and user be in control of page and font size.
I started using PDF because I don't like the epub implementation on my BBMini. And I don't like it on the Pyrus Mini either. Especially as that one doesn't support included fonts.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Click it to make it larger

Quote:
A second line item? What's that?
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Screen.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	101088

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
exaltedwombat is exactly right. If you're going to use PDF, you have to assume that you'll need a different copy of the book for each device you want to read it on. Sometimes you can use shortcuts, but you're going to be fighting the format in each case. Also, make sure you don't lose the original LaTeX files because if you ever need your books in another format, PDF is a horrible starting format.

(end rant)

So you have a choice, and you're going to have to sacrifice something either way. Either go with epub and accept that you're not going to like how it looks on the device, or go with PDF and accept that you're not going to have a clean library in Calibre, because the only way to store two different PDF copies of a book is to have two book entries.

If you decide to go with PDF, I would recommend using a custom column to distinguish between the two formats. That way you can easily filter on the column when you want to send books to your device. If you store the format as part of the title as Ripplinger suggests, you lose the ability to filter, which I would consider a necessary part of the process.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
exaltedwombat is exactly right. If you're going to use PDF, you have to assume that you'll need a different copy of the book for each device you want to read it on. Sometimes you can use shortcuts, but you're going to be fighting the format in each case. Also, make sure you don't lose the original LaTeX files because if you ever need your books in another format, PDF is a horrible starting format.

(end rant)
First, my source is HTML, which I use to create my epubs, mobi's and PDF's... And it works perfectly on three of my four e-ink devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
So you have a choice, and you're going to have to sacrifice something either way. Either go with epub and accept that you're not going to like how it looks on the device, or go with PDF and accept that you're not going to have a clean library in Calibre, because the only way to store two different PDF copies of a book is to have two book entries.

If you decide to go with PDF, I would recommend using a custom column to distinguish between the two formats. That way you can easily filter on the column when you want to send books to your device. If you store the format as part of the title as Ripplinger suggests, you lose the ability to filter, which I would consider a necessary part of the process.
It looks like I'll simply make a shadow library, containing the smaller PDF version...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I suggest you convert on the fly. Convert to pdf manually immediately before sending to device, with the appropriate page size. The pdf will replace your old pdf, but you dont care since you have the source html.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote