Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Scarfo
Scarfo began at the beginning.

Device: Plucker
Best hackable e-reader for night reading?

What e-book reader would you recommend given the info below, ignoring price? I’ll be using it 100% for side loading and library e-books, Wi-Fi only.

4 Must-Haves
1. E-ink, not a tablet
2. Optimal for reading in the dark without blue light, dimmable
3. Physical buttons
4. Hackable/Jailbreakable/Rootable
5. Waterproof

4 Nice-to-Haves
1. Wireless side-loading, kludge/hack/dropbox is ok
2. Larger than 6” screen
3. Good PDF-reading experience, whether via hack to get reflow, big screen or native
4. Ability to sync with an e-book and/or audiobook reader on my iPhone

I’m a Mac/iPhone user if that matters.

Thanks!
Scarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro ticks all your boxes.

7.8 inch, waterproof, white and orange LEDs, buttons, sync with DropBox and Pocketbook Cloud, as well as Pocketbook App for your phone. Send documents via email to the device.
The native PDF reader does reflow. You can also install KoReader.
Audiobooks via Bluetooth.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Forma at 8" ticks all the boxes except the audiobook part and maybe the PDF part as that's not good with eInk

TBH, eInk Readers are not all that good for audiobooks. The battery goes pretty quick. And if you want to stream, the battery goes even more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Koreader is good with pdf and works on a kobo.

Onyx nova but it's not waterproof and no buttons.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'd suggest the Kobo Libra H20 (7 inch) or the Kobo Forma (8 inch) screen. The frontlight has colour temperature control. The Forma has DropBox integration out of the box. Both are hackable though neither can be rooted or jailbroken since Kobo does not lock down their ereaders. If you are using the Kobo store and syncing the books to your Kobo ereader, it syncs to the Kobo iOS app (there have been on and off issues with this). They do not have audio support but I'm not an audiobook fan since they are so bloody slow -- the narrators don't seem to be able to speak at 1000 WPM and I do read at that speed.

Now, I don't have the biggest pile of Karma, and my Karma ain't the fanciest, or the prettiest. But it is honest Karma, dug out of these hills post by post, pun by pun, smart ass comment by smart ass comment. I have toiled under the oppressive gaze of the green meanies, and scuttled like a rat avoiding their fearsome bolts of moderation.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
What e-book reader would you recommend given the info below, ignoring price? I’ll be using it 100% for side loading and library e-books, Wi-Fi only.

4 Must-Haves
1. E-ink, not a tablet
2. Optimal for reading in the dark without blue light, dimmable
3. Physical buttons
4. Hackable/Jailbreakable/Rootable
5. Waterproof

4 Nice-to-Haves
1. Wireless side-loading, kludge/hack/dropbox is ok
2. Larger than 6” screen
3. Good PDF-reading experience, whether via hack to get reflow, big screen or native
4. Ability to sync with an e-book and/or audiobook reader on my iPhone

I’m a Mac/iPhone user if that matters.

Thanks!
The PocketBook InkPad Pro 3 would meet most of these requirements (including 7.8" screen, the HD3 would also work, but it has a 6" screen). (It also has text to speech.) Not sure about rooting — I think it can be rooted, but it's Linux not Android, so I don't know what you would do with it. It does flow PDF to text, but I don't know how well (this is something I don't do on an eReader). You have the choice of both the PocketBook Cloud or Dropbox built-in. It does sync to the iPhone via its app and has free Cloud service.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pocket...er/id805488884

The Ink Pad Pro 3 can be bought from Germany and be shipped free to the U.S. from Grooves.Land...

https://www.grooves-inc.com/pocketbo...SABEgLKZPD_BwE

Or it can also be bought from GoodEReader in the U.S...

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...ook-inkpad-pro

Last edited by rcentros; 04-26-2020 at 10:22 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:26 AM   #7
Abish4i
The Escapist
Abish4i began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 (10th Gen), Android, Zorin(linux)
PW 4 is can be jailbroken with factory firmware...
Abish4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:38 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abish4i View Post
PW 4 is can be jailbroken with factory firmware...
Kobo can be patched with many different firmware versions including the latest version. No need for some specific older firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #9
Scarfo
Scarfo began at the beginning.

Device: Plucker
It took me long enough but I finally got a Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro and it’s been great!

The iOS app doesn’t seem to like certain epubs, but in general it works well to easily add ebooks and stay sync’d with the ereader.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scarfo is offline   Reply With Quote